Shure E500/E530 Cable Poll
Sep 16, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #211 of 391
A little off topic but I wonder how much money Shure is losing on all of these returns. Especially since these headphones retail for $500 US and many have returned them for a replacement more than once. Personally, I've returned my e2c's about 3-4 times (lost count). I would imagine others have had the same number of returns if they have had the headphones more than 2 years as I have.

A quick question to those that have returned the E500's. Is returning packaging and PTH module required? When i returned my E2c's i would send in the headphones alone and receive a new retail box in return. Does the same hold true with the E500 returns? Also, has anyone been refused a return because they did not have a receipt?

Sep 16, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #212 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know what causes the wire problem; Answering this survey!
wink.gif

I responded "No Problem" and BAM! the wire splits, right-side, above the rubber boot, 6-months of use, datecode 2576. Anyone know of a methadone treatment for E500 addiction, the 2-week cold-turkey is going to be painful.

2 weeks? The first time I returned the 500's, I had a pair in less than a week (I overnighted the defective pair). The 2nd time it took about a week and a half (UPS Ground both ways).

Sep 16, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #213 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncletank88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A quick question to those that have returned the E500's. Is returning packaging and PTH module required? When i returned my E2c's i would send in the headphones alone and receive a new retail box in return. Does the same hold true with the E500 returns? Also, has anyone been refused a return because they did not have a receipt?

there's somebody who returne d them without the PTH and got the 530's without PTH in return. Also, receipt not necessary, unless you're near the 2-year mark of manufacture date.

Sep 16, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #214 of 391
It says on the Shure warraanty webpage that if you are returning E500 w/PTH to 'include' the PTH and all accessories. Which i presume means extension cables, adapter and volume attenuator as well as the PTH device.

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #215 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostbobby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 weeks? The first time I returned the 500's, I had a pair in less than a week (I overnighted the defective pair). The 2nd time it took about a week and a half (UPS Ground both ways).

Well, that's still about two weeks, one week at a time.
wink.gif

And actually I'm beginning to look forward to the time, it will give me the opportunity to listen to something new. And if Shure loses a customer because of their cheap a-- wires, well too bad, that's business. It's like when your hair cutter goes on vacation so you go to someone else, and you end up liking that someone else and you never go back to the original.

OBTW did Shure reimburse your shipping charges?

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #217 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damit.... my cable cracked last night
frown.gif
The one going to the right earpiece just above the rubber strain relief. Well, now they are on their journey back to their birthplace in Oregon. :/

I think I'm going to also do the cable cover with some extra insulation when I get my new pair. I wonder if some thin clear tubing, like aquarium air hose will work?

Thank goodness I still have my px-100s for portable use.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hermitt, I just checked, you voted "Still Good"... and look what happened.
wink.gif

Aquarium air hose: If the poly tubing has an ID of .0625 or so it looks like it might work. But for me the casing OD had to be small enough to fit under the rubber boot, between the wire.

PX-100: you know, I won those PMX-70s at the SJ meet and they're still in the blister pack. Maybe I should break those puppies out.

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #218 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncletank88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little off topic but I wonder how much money Shure is losing on all of these returns. Especially since these headphones retail for $500 US and many have returned them for a replacement more than once. Personally, I've returned my e2c's about 3-4 times (lost count). I would imagine others have had the same number of returns if they have had the headphones more than 2 years as I have.

Well, since the defective e500s should have been recalled and not sold in the first place and Shure has been sending back earphones in exchange that are also defective-people have been having the pair they got back from Shure break as well-they may actually be saving money, depending on the cost of shipping versus the cost of making the product (not the retail cost).

I also have a question for the people that have returned their e500s. Did Shure send you back an open or closed box? If I send back a pair without the pth device will they most likely send me back SE530s or e500s in a open box without the pth?

Sep 16, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #219 of 391
Whenever I see threads like this come up I think to check my e500s and have yet to find cracking. Last night the thread was bumped and I checked again- a crack in the wire that wraps around the ear and the sheathing is pulling away from the earphone. Both are occurring on the same side, the other side is fine.

I purchased mine as a pre-order last July, so they have lasted a little longer than a year. I also rarely put them back in their case, so after I exercise- etc, they have plenty of time to air dry. I have heard this can help. I've wiped the earbuds down with alcohol pads several times, but I have only actually cleaned the wires a few times.

Just a note regarding this poll. Even if I read a thread, I usually don't post or answer questions unless I feel I have something to say. I don't know how many others behave like this, but such behavior could really throw off the poll results. There is clearly a problem with these wires, but just a thought on the poll results.

I'd also like to compliment the Shure reps here and Shure's general customer service. I had occasion to experience Shure's great CS when I had an issue with my old E5's. The reps here conduct themselves as gentlemen (women?) and are unbelievably responsive to this community- very refreshing to see.

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #220 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hermitt, I just checked, you voted "Still Good"... and look what happened.
wink.gif

Yeah, I know... I've seen a couple others that have broken 'after' they voted still good
tongue.gif
Maybe this poll really is the culprit,
eek.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #221 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I know... I've seen a couple others that have broken 'after' they voted still good
tongue.gif
Maybe this poll really is the culprit,
eek.gif

That's true since we cannot update or change the choice you had submitted into the poll. This problem just take loooong time to happen.

Sad to hear about yours, Hermitt. Hope you get the new one with new redesign cable
smily_headphones1.gif

I almost freak out after saw this issue in the internet before I come to check majority here in head-fi. Seem the issue only relates to individual and thanks god it is not going to happen 100% for everybody (I hope so, though).

I really love E500 and feel really good that I made decision to bought it. It sounds completely wonderful. Thanks to Sugarfried and Shure design team.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #222 of 391
I haven't voted yet, as I've only had mine for a month. They've already gotten very stiff and the cable is looking suspect. And this is with me being extra careful with them because of threads like this. No cracks yet, but I don't think mine are gonna hold up too much longer. No complaints about sound though, they're great.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #223 of 391
I've had mine for a week, so it's still good. It's nice to hear that Shure is good about replacing them if/when they crack.

Anyone know what the warranty coverage is on replacement pairs? Do those get another 2 years, or does the warranty still run out after the original 2 year period?

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #224 of 391
mine cracked and got green and nasty inside like an infected cable, anyway, i don't know what they sent me but it's waiting to be picked up at the ups place, i really hope i got a whole new sealed deal...
DSC02282copy.jpg

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #225 of 391
fwiw, i picked my new e500's up, i think it was a new pair, the box had a green sticker on it, but looked new under the hood... anyway, the cables do not feel like the old ones, i suspect it was because i just did not notice the cable hardening and becoming slick, but these are soft and matte...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back