Shure E500/E530 Cable Poll
Jul 30, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #181 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by dridiot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Sugarfried,

Whats your take for overseas ( Singapore ) buyers that bought their E500 from US and doesn't have the paperwork anymore?

1. What if their cables are broken? Will Shure ( Asia or US ) honor the 2
year-warranty if they have to go by the 4-digit code?
2. When I last checked, local distributors ( Singapore ) have refused to
accept E500 ( or any other Shures) w/o paperwork, should I send it direct
to Shure Asia in Hong Kong or Shure US?
3. Just for info, how much will owners have to fork out to have their E500
repaired if it is out of the warranty period?

Thanks.

I'd like to know the same however every time it mentions Asia replace it with Europe or England
tongue.gif

Shures excellent customer service is exactly why I am just about to (once I receive the sellers email address) buy these phones. Nothing to do with how they sound...honest
blink.gif

Jul 31, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #182 of 391
This doesn't have much to do with anything, but I just thought I'd mention it because I have nothing else to say.
tongue.gif

I guess questionable durability issues with a Shure product is still kind of a new concept for me, considering my history with some of their other products. For example, their microphones, such as the SM58 (an industry standard, even though I prefer the Beta 58A
wink.gif
) are just amazing. I mean I took one of these mics that was already beat up (badly) and threw it up in the air letting it land on cement: worked like brand new. I was wearing a Shure wireless bodypack when it slipped off my belt and fell down a flight of stairs: a few scratches, but it performed like nothing had happened. Now I'm not saying Shure's earphones are "obligated" to have the same level of durability. It's just a little out of character for me. Nothing more.
tongue.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #183 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GravY: You can call (800) 516-2525 and explain your situation to someone in the service department. They may be able to work around your schedule.

Thanks for adding to the productivity. Just so you know, I perceived your involvement as an attempt to gain resolution and not as an attack on Shure.

gah, for some reason wasnt getting my updates on this thread.. well I sent out the heaphones already.. guess I'll just sit back and wait for new ones to arrive..

thanks..

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #184 of 391
The cable on my Shure SE530s is getting really stiff in the part which goes around the ears and down the neck. And I have only had the 'phones for about two months or so. I wonder, whether it is because I am not taking good care of them, or is it really because of some cable design flaws...

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #186 of 391
all this cable stuff worries me a bit sugafried do you think shure will replace my earphones if they are not yet faulty for earphones with new and improved cables,because obviously shure are the only ones that know the cable change date,mine were manufactured in november 2006 and as of yet i have not had problems,but would shure replace my earphones if they realise it is actually the duff cable,also i am in england,if my earphones became faulty and i sent them off how long am i looking at before i recieve a replacement

Aug 23, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #187 of 391
I've had my E500 for two months. I have wiped behind my ears each and every time before I put on my E500, I have wiped the cable down with a cloth each and every time after I wear my E500, and I wash the cable down with light soap and water once a week...

And my cable is still starting to get hard...

I sware if it didn't sound so fricken good...

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #188 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all this cable stuff worries me a bit sugafried do you think shure will replace my earphones if they are not yet faulty for earphones with new and improved cables,because obviously shure are the only ones that know the cable change date,mine were manufactured in november 2006 and as of yet i have not had problems,but would shure replace my earphones if they realise it is actually the duff cable,also i am in england,if my earphones became faulty and i sent them off how long am i looking at before i recieve a replacement

Shure will not replace your product unless it is broken. Unfortunately, they are not offering to replace every old cable... only the old cables that actually end up breaking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my E500 for two months. I have wiped behind my ears each and every time before I put on my E500, I have wiped the cable down with a cloth each and every time after I wear my E500, and I wash the cable down with light soap and water once a week...

And my cable is still starting to get hard...

I sware if it didn't sound so fricken good...

They do sound good, don't they? Honestly, if you're going to all that trouble to prevent your cables from cracking, you might consider housing the Shure wires in slightly larger speaker wire. It works incredibly well and you won't have to give it a bath once a week (I have a hard enough time maintaining my own hygiene, thank you very much). Though this method doesn't retain the same degree of flexibility in the cord, as thicker wire is more resistant to being bent around things, such as the ear. Maybe there's a more flexible cable compound out there that I'm unaware of for this purpose.

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #189 of 391
Of course, I understand that little extra care to make it last longer.
I do, too.

If you have to really babysit the e500 this way, it's really sad.
It only speaks of the quality of the wire...

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #190 of 391
Well i'm now on my second pair of 530s (first pair was faulty out of the box) I've had this pair for just over 4 weeks & the cable is hardening.
I wouldn't mind so much but its not even hardening in the shape of my ear. Its a lot higher & pulls out to the left which is really annoying & it takes some enjoyment away.
I knew of the problems when i bought them though so i cant really grumble (not too much anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #191 of 391
Actually, I have this problem of hardening cables with my UEs too. My Super.fi 5 Pros are still ok, probably because I haven't used them that much outside, but the 3s... the cable is completely hard now from the top down to where my neck ends and it's really annoying because every time I turn my head now I get so much more microphonic effects... But what really drive me mad though is that the cables on my mediocre-sounding Senn CX300s are still nice and soft and show no signs of deteriorating at all, even though I have used them for even longer than any of my IEMs.
mad.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #192 of 391
I received my E500's back yesterday.. I sent in the full set with the PTH and all and I got a full set back, the box has a round green sticker on it and it was previously opened.. The cable from the earphones are different, they are softer and look to be maybe a bit thinner?

the extension cable is what my old wires were like and comparing the two they are definitely different.. so Im hoping this new cable holds up as the other ones didnt make it very long..

I also received a replacement pair of E3c's which look the same but had a different numbering scheme..

On a side note, I did not have the recipt for the E500's and Im thankful they did this replacement (purhcased from a memeber of these forums).. however in the box they sent me a note telling me I didnt give them any information, name/address/phone/what was wrong ect.. which I did fill out a return form printed from their site.. I know for sure it was in the box because I indeed did forget to put it in when I first sealed the box, I re-opened the box and put it in, filled out all fields.. strange.

all-in-all very happy, took less than two weeks to get the replacement..

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #193 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by GravY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cable from the earphones are different, they are softer and look to be maybe a bit thinner?

What's the date code on your new cable?

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #194 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by tlie00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the date code on your new cable?

if the cable has a rubbery or grippy feel to them when you run your fingers down then that could be a recipe for disaster because the sony ex71 and cx300 both have a rubbery grippy feel to them and both litterally split and almost shredded all the way down the cable the problem ofcourse is that rubbery cables tend to stretch and split,no cable is perfect,all have potential issues,all this complaint about e500 cables is a bit over the top because ive had problems with many cables,perhaps thats why ue offers detatchable cables.and ive had my se530 for a good few months now with no problem,although the cables do look shiny and tend to stiffen very slightly after each use i just jiggle it about abit until it feels natural again

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #195 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by GravY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my E500's back yesterday.. [...] The cable from the earphones are different, they are softer and look to be maybe a bit thinner?

the extension cable is what my old wires were like and comparing the two they are definitely different.. so Im hoping this new cable holds up as the other ones didnt make it very long..

Are you saying you remember how soft your original E500's cables were when you first got them and the cables on your new ones are softer than that?

Sorry, I'm just a little skeptical that we can readily tell the difference between the old cables and the redesigned ones. On my E500s, the cables attached to the phones are thin, but the extension cables are thicker. My cables haven't split, but they have hardened into a semi-permanent curve. I don't know if the redesigned cables will stiffen somewhat with usage, so I can't swear which cable type I have, but I am guessing I have the old style since they were made in 2006. Haven't split though!
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back