Shure E500/E530 Cable Poll
Aug 30, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #196 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I have this problem of hardening cables with my UEs too. My Super.fi 5 Pros are still ok, probably because I haven't used them that much outside, but the 3s... the cable is completely hard now from the top down to where my neck ends and it's really annoying because every time I turn my head now I get so much more microphonic effects... But what really drive me mad though is that the cables on my mediocre-sounding Senn CX300s are still nice and soft and show no signs of deteriorating at all, even though I have used them for even longer than any of my IEMs.
mad.gif

The softest cables I have tried so far on IEMs are the ES series from Westones. Unfortunately, these can only work with Westone ES1/2 and the UE SF/TF series. Using them with my superfi 5 Pros now and they reduce significantly the microphonics and the cable almost never gets tangled as it is braided. Only gripe i have with it is that I bought the clear one (should have gotten black) and it is turning green.

Aug 31, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #197 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying you remember how soft your original E500's cables were when you first got them and the cables on your new ones are softer than that?

Sorry, I'm just a little skeptical that we can readily tell the difference between the old cables and the redesigned ones. On my E500s, the cables attached to the phones are thin, but the extension cables are thicker. My cables haven't split, but they have hardened into a semi-permanent curve. I don't know if the redesigned cables will stiffen somewhat with usage, so I can't swear which cable type I have, but I am guessing I have the old style since they were made in 2006. Haven't split though!
cool.gif

My thoughts exactly... the mind sees what it wants to see, especially when comparing from memory. When I got my replacement phones, the cable seemed different... perhaps more flexible... hmmm well I should certainly hope so considering what I was coming from! But the thickness is exactly the same, according to Shure.

I just received my replacement pair last week (2 week turnover) but I'm a little concerned. The date on the cable comes from August 2006... a year ago. I'm a little skeptical that the new cable was implemented that long ago, plus they're already getting stiff. I was under the impression from turkishdelight's post earlier in this thread that Shure USA will make sure that replacements have the improved cable chemistry.

Aug 31, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #198 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamboman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The softest cables I have tried so far on IEMs are the ES series from Westones. Unfortunately, these can only work with Westone ES1/2 and the UE SF/TF series. Using them with my superfi 5 Pros now and they reduce significantly the microphonics and the cable almost never gets tangled as it is braided. Only gripe i have with it is that I bought the clear one (should have gotten black) and it is turning green.

Is that a braided cable design? I just loved the braided cable on my old UM2s... best I've ever had.

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #199 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that a braided cable design? I just loved the braided cable on my old UM2s... best I've ever had.

Yup, braided replacement cable for the Westone ES series. They are even softere than the ones with the UM2s I have. So it is good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #200 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by dridiot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Sugarfried,

Whats your take for overseas ( Singapore ) buyers that bought their E500 from US and doesn't have the paperwork anymore?

1. What if their cables are broken? Will Shure ( Asia or US ) honor the 2
year-warranty if they have to go by the 4-digit code?
2. When I last checked, local distributors ( Singapore ) have refused to
accept E500 ( or any other Shures) w/o paperwork, should I send it direct
to Shure Asia in Hong Kong or Shure US?
3. Just for info, how much will owners have to fork out to have their E500
repaired if it is out of the warranty period?

Thanks.

Sorry to bump the thread, but I just realized that my cable on my SE530s with date code 0117 are starting to break.

My situation is somewhat similar to dridiots in that these were purchased brand new at LAX in late June, but I am currently residing in Singapore. Should I contact the local distributor for Singapore or go straight to Shure US?

Thank you!

Sep 8, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #202 of 391
I know what causes the wire problem; Answering this survey!
wink.gif

I responded "No Problem" and BAM! the wire splits, right-side, above the rubber boot, 6-months of use, datecode 2576. Anyone know of a methadone treatment for E500 addiction, the 2-week cold-turkey is going to be painful.

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #204 of 391
I just replaced my E2c's which developed the cable cracks with a set of E500's from a member here. I was planning on upgrading to the SE310's, but saw an E500 on sale here for not much more than what the SE310's would have cost, so I bit the bullet. Figured I'd eventually end up here anyway, might as well do it now
smily_headphones1.gif

I was hoping that the problem I had with the E2c would not come up with the E500's, but it's not that big of a deal really. Hearing from a Shure employee that they will be replaced if it fails (and even suggesting that it would be replaced even if it is out of warranty -- I know they cannot directly say that but I've only heard good things about Shure's service and how they go out of the way to make people happy).

I've read through this entire thread and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the way a lot of people have complained and bashed Shure. No product is perfect, and Shure is fixing the problem by sending you a brand new set if even just the *cable* breaks. Seriously, what else do you want them to do?

Sep 9, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #205 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by jersey_emt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just replaced my E2c's which developed the cable cracks with a set of E500's from a member here. I was planning on upgrading to the SE310's, but saw an E500 on sale here for not much more than what the SE310's would have cost, so I bit the bullet. Figured I'd eventually end up here anyway, might as well do it now
smily_headphones1.gif

I was hoping that the problem I had with the E2c would not come up with the E500's, but it's not that big of a deal really. Hearing from a Shure employee that they will be replaced if it fails (and even suggesting that it would be replaced even if it is out of warranty -- I know they cannot directly say that but I've only heard good things about Shure's service and how they go out of the way to make people happy).

I've read through this entire thread and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the way a lot of people have complained and bashed Shure. No product is perfect, and Shure is fixing the problem by sending you a brand new set if even just the *cable* breaks. Seriously, what else do you want them to do?

Being one of the pests who complained on this thread in the past, I figured I'd reply. Since the last time I posted on here, I've become less hostile about this issue. I've even messaged Sugarfried saying that I have come to terms with the fact that Shure's warranty will thoroughly cover this issue. So knowing that, I have settled down quite a bit. But again, the reasons I and others who got upset gave for being angry are very valid reasons. We're not talking about a 50-dollar pair of earphones that just happens to have a flaw and wouldn't be devastating to replace in the long run. We're talking about a serious investment in some cases. That alone should make one assume that the product wouldn't have to be sent back in for anything other than a particular, individual case (such as mine, where I got a replacement pair back that doesn't perform nearly as well as my previous pair, but that's another story). But there was one thing that probably irritated me the most, and that is this.

I know that the cable is going to break on me due to this issue because my first pair's cables were already starting to get hard even though I would wipe down my ears and cables before and after every time I listened to them. The idea that I will eventually have to pay extra money to send my earphones in and wait for a replacement when I already know that the pair I get back has a great chance of doing the exact same thing just kinda makes me step back and go, "What am I doing?" I'm a college student, but on top of that, I'm a perfectionist (not at all a good thing) so in my mind, I'm already thinking to myself, "...So why did I do this?"

But then I listened to my E500 and I realized why. Let's face it: the E500 sounds amazing. That's why we got it, and it does what it's supposed to do, and that is deliver one of the best listening experiences possible. It's unfortunate that for so many people an issue like this should plague such an incredible product, but as long as Shure continues to give as much support as they are giving now, in the end, I think it'll be worth it.

(What? I write too much?... Naaah....)

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #206 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...On the other hand, I do have experience with another solution which works quite well. I took some speaker wire (14 gauge I think), split it open, took out the copper wire, and then wrapped the housing around my Shure cable. This works quite well! It hugs the cable like a glove. If you suspect you might have an eventual problem, I would suggest doing this from the outset to protect your wires from accumulating any damage in the first place.

Dexter Morgan,
I tried your fix, using the casing from xxgauge wire. It works! Thanks for the great DIY. The casing acts like a mini-splint for the damaged wire. I've also splinted the undamaged side, just in case.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Livewires in the interim while my E500s are getting replaced. I'll use the splinted Shures until I get the Livewires.

Sep 15, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #207 of 391
Damit.... my cable cracked last night
frown.gif
The one going to the right earpiece just above the rubber strain relief. Well, now they are on their journey back to their birthplace in Oregon. :/

I think I'm going to also do the cable cover with some extra insulation when I get my new pair. I wonder if some thin clear tubing, like aquarium air hose will work?

Thank goodness I still have my px-100s for portable use.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #209 of 391
I'm going to check in again and say my E500s are still perfect after the stuff I put them through, and I've had them for 7 months now. No signs of a break.

Sep 16, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #210 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tipped_Pro95 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
8 months and no problems

E500's, not SE530s. SE530s were non existant in January. They came out mid-late April.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back