SHURE CUTS THE CORD: RMCE-TW1 / TW2 - THE TRUE WIRELESS THREAD
Aug 19, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #136 of 590
My dealer informed me today that the canadian Shure distribuitor he deals with decided not to carry the second iteration of the RMCE-TW1 device for the time being. They were planning to carry the first version, though. This sucks as I wanted this device so badly, to replace my Radsone EarStudio ES100 and the wire associated with it. :slight_frown:

Find another dealer. He’s probably trying to unload old stock.

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #138 of 590
Just got these yesterday. Using with 535s. Agree they are nearly identical to BT2 soundwise.

The mono phone calls and video conferencing is nearly a deal breaker for me though. Is there a work around? Should I contact support and complain? Should be fixable with firmware update?

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #139 of 590
Just got these yesterday. Using with 535s. Agree they are nearly identical to BT2 soundwise.

The mono phone calls and video conferencing is nearly a deal breaker for me though. Is there a work around? Should I contact support and complain? Should be fixable with firmware update?
It's probably how the chipset was designed, which is why every true wireless set has the same limitation. Apple uses their own chipset which does stereo when the microphone is active.

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #140 of 590
It's probably how the chipset was designed, which is why every true wireless set has the same limitation. Apple uses their own chipset which does stereo when the microphone is active.

When you say mono, does sound only come from one ear (e.g. right side works and you get nothing from the left)? Don't have one of these so not sure what you mean but I am curious.

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #141 of 590
Yes.

The right earpiece is the "main" driver that connects to your phone. During media playback, it relays the L-signal to the left earpiece.

During phonecalls, which are handled by a different protocol than media playback, the right earpiece plays the audio and doesn't send a signal to the left earpiece.

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #142 of 590
Is it a limitation of the chip or is it just he way it is set up? BT2 routes the mono call sound to both ears.

I keep looking for the best device to both listen to music and have phone calls and video conferencing. I love my SE535s and have faithfully bought just about every adapter and product that Shure has come out with for the last few years in hopes that it fulfills this need for me. The BT1 sounds terrible. The BT2 sounds pretty good but has a terrible microphone (i.e. you can hear the person twenty feet away better than you can hear the person wearing it). These have promise but only having sound come out of one ear for a one or two hour call stinks.

Aug 19, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #143 of 590
Yes.

The right earpiece is the "main" driver that connects to your phone. During media playback, it relays the L-signal to the left earpiece.

During phonecalls, which are handled by a different protocol than media playback, the right earpiece plays the audio and doesn't send a signal to the left earpiece.

That does not sound like a limitation of bluetooth chips to me but more of a design choice Shure made (or they just overlooked it). I currently have 4 different true wireless earphones (Senn MTW (original), M&D MW07 Go, JBL Reflect Flow, and Samsung Galaxy Buds Live) and 3 of the four have the master-slave configuration you describe (each earbud for Samsung Galaxy Buds Live works independently so I can make calls using only the left ear, only the right ear, or both). All four of my TWS and my cabled bluetooth adapters like the BT2 have call audio in both the left and right earbuds. Call audio only on one side would annoy the heck out of me too.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #144 of 590
Is it a limitation of the chip or is it just he way it is set up? BT2 routes the mono call sound to both ears.

I keep looking for the best device to both listen to music and have phone calls and video conferencing. I love my SE535s and have faithfully bought just about every adapter and product that Shure has come out with for the last few years in hopes that it fulfills this need for me. The BT1 sounds terrible. The BT2 sounds pretty good but has a terrible microphone (i.e. you can hear the person twenty feet away better than you can hear the person wearing it). These have promise but only having sound come out of one ear for a one or two hour call stinks.
I have tried different MMCX cables as well. I tried using my SE425s with the BT2 and SE535s with my Qudelix 5K but both had too much background or cable noise. My SE425s went back to wired for a while as wired resulted in the best mic quality. I recently bought the new Samsung Galaxy Buds Live for calls and the call quality is really good and the open design works well for calls. My SE846s are now my single-ended wired IEM, SE535s (balanced) are now used with my Qudelix 5K for when I want wireless, and my SE425s are now back on the BT2 cable for use exclusively with my Surface for when I need wireless earphones. I have given up on using my Shures for calls and now just the Galaxy Buds Live and they have been fantastic and worth the investment (with a pricetag that is less than the TW1). My SE846 (wired) and SE535s (balanced with Qudelix 5K/LDAC) are still my go to for music.

Aug 20, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #145 of 590
Another limitation to be aware of as an audiophile are the supported codecs. Shure dropped support for aptX HD compared to the BT2. The TW1 support SBC, aptX and AAC.
My Android phone connects to my car using AAC, but for some reason it refuses to do so with the TW1 and uses aptX instead.
My BT2 connected using aptX HD.

The Shure app allows you to select what earphones are connected to the TW1. It then drives them accordingly. The BT2 had no such setting. The setting definitely does something, the sound signature changes when you change the setting.
My initial impressions on sound might be wrong due to different fit and seal, but compared to the BT2, the TW1 appear to drive my 846 more flat when I set them to 846. When I change the setting to a 535 or 435, the sound becomes more boomier and reminds me of the BT2. But take this with a grain of salt until more people report it. Placebo and different fit can play a role here.

Lastly, the fit. I only used them at home so far but I intend to take then on a hour-long walk later today. First impression is amazing. Cable and BT2 never stayed so securely in place.

Aug 20, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #146 of 590
Another limitation to be aware of as an audiophile are the supported codecs. Shure dropped support for aptX HD compared to the BT2. The TW1 support SBC, aptX and AAC.
My Android phone connects to my car using AAC, but for some reason it refuses to do so with the TW1 and uses aptX instead.
My BT2 connected using aptX HD.

The Shure app allows you to select what earphones are connected to the TW1. It then drives them accordingly. The BT2 had no such setting. The setting definitely does something, the sound signature changes when you change the setting.
My initial impressions on sound might be wrong due to different fit and seal, but compared to the BT2, the TW1 appear to drive my 846 more flat when I set them to 846. When I change the setting to a 535 or 435, the sound becomes more boomier and reminds me of the BT2. But take this with a grain of salt until more people report it. Placebo and different fit can play a role here.

Lastly, the fit. I only used them at home so far but I intend to take then on a hour-long walk later today. First impression is amazing. Cable and BT2 never stayed so securely in place.
I've ordered mine and waiting.

In general with the 846s, are you happy with the sound?

How does it compare with the wired version?

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #147 of 590
I haven't used the wire in 2 years and I can't connect it to my current phone to test.

Didn't have time to really listen to music since I received them. I intend to listen to an hour-long album later today. Will post my impression compared to the BT2.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #148 of 590
I can tell you that using AAC, there is no notable difference between TW1 and wired with 846. And the SHURE app sound signature settings (custom for each SHURE IEM to the TW1) certainly does change the headspace in a positive manner.

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #150 of 590
My opinion is that the TW1 (with the proper setting) drives the 846 better than the BT2 did. The low end is less boomy, base guitar notes are easier to pick up amid thundering drums. Could be that the BT2's impedece wasn't perfect for the 846.

The biggest game changer for me however is the complete lack of microphonics. I usually listen to music while walking or working out. The absence of any cable movement noise alone is worth the price for me.

As far as comfort and for goes, it's impeccable for me. I use a pair of large double flange Spinfit tips. The TW1 never felt uncomfortable after one and a half hour of walking. They also kept the tips in a perfect seal position even though I was sweating and putting on a facial mask during the session. I never had to readjust an earpiece.

Unlike previous Shure cables, the TW1 has a fairly rigid shape. If it doesn't fit you at all, it could get uncomfortable. It also keeps the earplugs in a fairly fixed position. If your tips of choice don't provide a seal at that position, you will need to change them. For me, everything is perfect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back