SHURE CUTS THE CORD: RMCE-TW1 / TW2 - THE TRUE WIRELESS THREAD
Aug 12, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #107 of 595
Well, today Shure announced the Aonic TW series is available again. One imagines they sorted out the problems.

Imagine is right. Where is the communication? Emails to buyers who had issue telling them what has been done/improved. Should not have to be guinea pigs on a second version.

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #108 of 595
I don't think this is a second version... just a debugged first version. As I understand owners of the first batch were notified and could return them.

good news is that the EU Shure shop now also reflects a change in pricing, from €245 down to €189. but still not available...

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #109 of 595
Well, the system arrived this morning. After charging up the transmitters (arrived at 78% charge) and case, I first listened to the SE215’s attached. They sound like... normal 215’s. Nothing special but good for the price.

Then attached my SE 846’s. So far, quite nice. Seems comparable if not a bit brighter than my FiiO BTR5 when listening to my AAC encoded music on IPhone 11 Pro.

Good treble extension, very airy feel, with a wide soundstage and excellent compliance and really good detail. Zappa’s “Montana”, shows plenty of snare while Steely Dan’s “Doctor Wu” has the tape echo at the track start perfectly rendered with exquisite detail. Flea’s finger picks in RHCP’s “Go Robot” are perfectly reproduced, while the bass line in Manson’s “Killing Strangers” is positively seismic.

The total lack of cable microphonics are one thing- what I didnt expect is how much better my Final Audio and SpinFit tips stay in the exact place needed for ideal treble when there is zero cable pressure making micro adjustments to the 846 bodies. These are very comfortable for me as well.

More information after I spend a day or two with different tracks, and can evaluate battery life (which really should wait for a few cycles before making a judgement).

(The packaging is relatively enormous, and quite quirky/cool.)

Attachments

• C9B62FCA-00A6-4D47-A12F-1CF409439B40.jpeg
    C9B62FCA-00A6-4D47-A12F-1CF409439B40.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #111 of 595
I got the AONIC 215 and swapped the earphones with my SE846. It works fine with no apparent issues. There’s no audible white noise. The volume level is the same as the BT2. Environment mode is surprisingly good with no perceptible latency (I can hear an echo with the AirPods Pro), but is not as transparent as the AirPods and NC 700. With AAC, the sound quality is imperceptible from wired.

Choosing AONIC 846 in the ShurePlus PLAY app reduces the volume of the SE846 to match the stock AONIC 215. This is good because otherwise the volume steps on iOS are too big for the SE846. This setting is saved to the TW1 globally, whereas the EQ settings work only in the Shure app.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #112 of 595
I was about to post the same information about the PLAY app. One thing though, the app itself is configured (display-wise) for a phone- I opened it on my iPad Pro and it’s not configured for a tablet. Still functions fine, though.

Also, these arrived with the latest firmware. The app allows for firmware updates when they are released in the future.

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #115 of 595
I don't think this is a second version... just a debugged first version. As I understand owners of the first batch were notified and could return them.

good news is that the EU Shure shop now also reflects a change in pricing, from €245 down to €189. but still not available...

Which shop did you find the new price? I went to online shop on shure.de, the price is like before 245 € for Shure Aonic 215 and 189€ for the adapter.

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #116 of 595
Which shop did you find the new price? I went to online shop on shure.de, the price is like before 245 € for Shure Aonic 215 and 189€ for the adapter.

those are the new prices. The adapter alone was 245,- before...

I‘ve ordered via shure.de. As I understand the Aonic 215 is currently only available from Shure directly

Aug 13, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #118 of 595
Call me vain, but the BT2 looks silly when I'm checking myself out at the gym. The TW1 looks sexy! Especially when all the plebs are using airpods. :smirk:

Let me guess... you have an open request with Shure support why there is no white version of the RMCE-TW1?

Aug 13, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #120 of 595
So is there any info of what they changed on this revision version of the RMCE-TW1 ?
I think there was a problem with QA that led to some units not loading correctly. I don’t think anything else was changed... besides maybe firmware revision of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Back