SHURE CUTS THE CORD: RMCE-TW1 / TW2 - THE TRUE WIRELESS THREAD
Aug 27, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #166 of 590
How much space is there in the case? Would CIEMs or larger sets like the IER-Z1R fit? Thanks for your help.

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #169 of 590
A little bit off-topic : do you know if it's possible to upgrade the firmware of the BT2? thanks!
No, I don’t believe so.

Just received my TW1 on Friday and am really pleased with them :ksc75smile: They’re definitely a step up ergonomically compared to the BT2, with no noticeable downside sound-wise (don’t really intend to closely compare them but rest assured there’s no obvious performance difference, at least via iOS/AAC). They do seem to maintain a pretty solid connection with my iPhone as well—I only noticed some stuttering the first time I powered them but that hasn’t happened since.

I really appreciate that Shure took such a modular approach to these, even going so far as to have device-specific adjustments to the IEMs you’re using (I’m using my SE846 with the same setting), and creating a case that’s probably big enough for most other ear tips (or even IEMs) that folks might want to use with them. That strikes me as an incredibly thoughtful design choice especially compared to instances like the Sony WF-1000XM3, where the case’s shallow eartip enclosure prevents the lid from closing when using most aftermarket tips.

For me TW1 + SE846 + Mandarin Peels is pretty much the best of all worlds when it comes to a portable, great-sounding, isolating listening experience.

Aug 30, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #170 of 590
I thought that TW1 was at least supporting the same bluetooth codecs that BT2 but it's not the case and there is no HD codec :frowning2:

RMCE-BT2 : Qualcomm® aptX™ audio, aptX™ HD, aptX™ Low Latency, AAC, and SBC enable superior digital audio
RMCE-TW1 : Qualcomm aptX™, SBC, AAC

Aug 30, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #173 of 590
I thought that TW1 was at least supporting the same bluetooth codecs that BT2 but it's not the case and there is no HD codec :frowning2:

RMCE-BT2 : Qualcomm® aptX™ audio, aptX™ HD, aptX™ Low Latency, AAC, and SBC enable superior digital audio
RMCE-TW1 : Qualcomm aptX™, SBC, AAC

Have you done a side by side comparison and noticed a difference? I'm personally just using an iPhone and I tried to do a side by side. As mentioned before I'm new and more of a regular person who likes to listen to good clean music of different types. I did a side by side and to my ears they both sound really good. I don't think I noticed a difference. I did a side by side with the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 and the Master & Dynamics as well. I Think the adapters are very close to the Sennheiser and from my ears I thought it was even better. Maybe I had a little bias since I of course wanted to think the 846 since they're more expensive sound better. But in the end I think I'm going with the TW1 over the other headphones and the BT2. My only wish was that phone calls came out from both headphones but that's not something I'll do much of. When deciding between the BT2 and the TW1 I just like the convenience of being true wireless although listing to the BT2 was really good. Thought of either buying some cheap 215s to use the BT2 or selling it.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #174 of 590
The BT2's aptX hd coded is superior to the TW1's plain aptX.
But electrically, the TW1 is superior to the BT2. The sound is overall better by a sizable margin. I don't want to plug my 846 into the BT2 again.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #175 of 590
Whats a " Mandarin Peel"?
Symbio Mandarin eartips. They come in a silicone + foam version, and a silicone version. Both are terrific but something about the silicone version just fits really well in my ears. I have the wide bore variant so I needed to use an adapter to get them to fit on the narrow SE846 barrels.
But electrically, the TW1 is superior to the BT2. The sound is overall better by a sizable margin. I don't want to plug my 846 into the BT2 again.
Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but what is the electrical difference between the TW1 and the BT2?

FWIW that does match the immediate feeling I had after listening to some Interpol and TOBACCO on the TW1... it was somewhat easier to hear bass definition and slam compared to what I remember from months of listening via the BT2. Just based on personal satisfaction the TW1 is a better choice for me.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #177 of 590
It also occurred to me after asking about the technical differences between the two that it probably has to do with the gain adjustment when choosing the IEMs in the Shure app. Funny that they include AONIC versions of their SE line as options before those are even listed on their website. I assume they're just the current SE kits but with a bundled TW1 instead of BT2.

IMG_EDA051DD74F9-1.jpeg

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #178 of 590
Have you done a side by side comparison and noticed a difference? I'm personally just using an iPhone and I tried to do a side by side. As mentioned before I'm new and more of a regular person who likes to listen to good clean music of different types. I did a side by side and to my ears they both sound really good. I don't think I noticed a difference. I did a side by side with the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 and the Master & Dynamics as well. I Think the adapters are very close to the Sennheiser and from my ears I thought it was even better. Maybe I had a little bias since I of course wanted to think the 846 since they're more expensive sound better. But in the end I think I'm going with the TW1 over the other headphones and the BT2. My only wish was that phone calls came out from both headphones but that's not something I'll do much of. When deciding between the BT2 and the TW1 I just like the convenience of being true wireless although listing to the BT2 was really good. Thought of either buying some cheap 215s to use the BT2 or selling it.

On Android, I can hear a difference between different codecs (when I use the same device but switch between codecs). I dont have an iPhone but my understanding is that you were probably using AAC on the iPhone with both the TW1 and MTW2 but, unless you were using the original M&D MW07, you were probably using SBC for the M&D. Maybe M&D updated the newer MW07 Plus and MW07 Go models, but, at least when I bought my MW07 Go last year, the MW07 Plus and Go models did not support AAC (did not matter to me since I use Android phones with aptX). Both devices (source and receiver) need to support the codec and implementation of the codec matters. AAC is often not that great on many Android phones but I hear it can be very good on iphones. If you listen to hires, you want LDAC, which at 990 sounds fantastic.

The three you mention have very different sound signatures and a lot comes down to personal preference, especially between the MW07 and MTWs). If it sounds good to you, I say just enjoy it and dont let the codec bother you too much. I also think the earphones themselves matter much more than the codec. I own the original MTW, MW07 Go and SE846 (wired no TW1) and enjoy them all for different reasons.

Aug 30, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #179 of 590
I'm personally just using an iPhone and I tried to do a side by side. As mentioned before I'm new and more of a regular person who likes to listen to good clean music of different types. I did a side by side and to my ears they both sound really good. I don't think I noticed a difference.

iPhone only supports SBC and AAC so you should indeed not notice any difference.
It's more a problem when you want to use the TW1 with a Sony or AK DAP which supports aptX HD
Max transfer rate is :
576 kbps for aptX HD
320 kbps for SBC
250 kbps for AAC

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #180 of 590
So I finally got my TW1 in today, after a delay by Fedex. Spent a few hours listening to them with my SE846 today, so I have some thoughts. Firstly, I hesitated buying these because 1) I already had the BT2 and 2) I thought TW1 look gaudy on people in pics. But I did it for the convenience of course (the BT2's cable/dongle part is a bit annoying). The SQ of the BT2 also sold me on that Shure knows what it's doing now after the BT1 disaster, especially since the clearly 846 is supported with the TW1.

Funny enough, what I expected to like/dislike about them has swapped at first impression. I love the design, the case, and fit/comfort. I worked out with them and it went well. I fortunately have longer black hair and the back protrusion blends in nicely. The whole unit feels quality. However, I thought the SQ would be better. It's not "bad" (like I imagine with the BT1), but just meh. The whole sound is too laid back, and a bit grainy. Not grainy in the sense of lack of clarity, but definition, slam, tightness, and crispness take a hit. Fortunately the background is black; no hiss that I can hear with even my sensitive ears. Just to me, the TW1 reduces the 846 down, closer to a normal sounding earphone than a quad driver beast. I always found the BT2 being a good balance between convenience and SQ. You could still hear the 846's excellence with it.

FYI, I've chosen the SE846 setting in the Shure Play app, and have also found a way to toggle on AptX with my LG V60. For some stupid reason the software defaults to AAC. The only way I can change it is through Android's developer settings. Something I also found interesting is that the EQ is on by default in the Shure app, with a "Flat" EQ setting. That makes zero sense. To me, flat/neutral means the EQ is off. Toggling on/off, I find the SQ a little better with the Flat EQ on. This whole deal makes me think that Shure thinks that you need to EQ the 846 with this system for it to sound properly, which isn't a good sign to me. That means it's not being driven adequately. Just me thinking out loud.

It's just the first day. Not going to throw it away with a first impression. I'll let y'all know if anything changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back