Shure customer service: best ever - no kidding
May 9, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #16 of 20
It all comes down to the bottom line though. If a firm is willing to sell a product at $150 using a production line that creates 95% perfectly manufactured products and 5% which are either defective from the get-go or will deteriorate rapidly from normal, careful everyday use; or alternatively run a production line with 99% perfectly manufactured products, but where the going price they'd be willing to sell them for with the same profit margin would be $250, which would you rather buy? Even, if you take into account that some, say for the example $25 will be added on to the price of the good in terms of warranty return costs on average, raising the price of the first outcome to $175, there's still a big saving to be made.

Sure, it's inconvenient to have to send off your item, perhaps even pay for the shipping, then have to wait and get it back in a week maybe more, but on the whole the diminishing return value of an increasingly perfected production cycle is hardly worth it on average.

It's not like any consumer has these kinds of numbers on hand though, they are much more likely to cynically assume that whatever good they're buying has a reasonable (probably even exaggerated in their mindset) chance to fail and as such they'll probably be MORE likely to purchase the good from whatever company was selling it, if they are forced to go through customer service/warranty replacement and are happy with the process/outcome. Better the devil that you know, than the one you don't. Hell, they may even go on a forum and essentially promote the brand for them (as in this case) and both publicise the brand and promote a positive image for it.

May 9, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #17 of 20
Indeed, I did post b/c I was happy. And I was truthful. Many posts report good and bad things about aspects of our hobby, and the products involved. Forums do reward good products and companies, and vice versa. But that is a unavoidable byproduct of reporting experiences.

May 9, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandrake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi ClieOS,

I hope you noticed that I (OP) said I had an accident with the Shures. And they still treated me right. I think they are very sturdy, but it was a bad accident.

So that's how great Shure is.

I have not doubt the Shure CS is good (can't deny all the good report we have here), and what I said has nothing specific to do with your case.

I saw another thread on another forum that a member there need to replace his beloved E530 because of cracking cable, and Shure replaced it even when he doesn't have any proof of purchase and his was out side of his country. We all thought his E530 is suffered from what Shure claims to be an chemical issue with certain human sweat. He got his replacement and even took more care on the new E530 (which is produced a few month after Shure admitted the chemical problem of the cable and claims to have used a new type of cable). The sad thing is, the 2nd pair only last 4 months (the first last 8~9 months IIRC) before the cracking cable happens again and now he is sending the 2nd pair back.

My thought is, if cable cracking (or any non user related problem, like socket snap off) can happen to the same user twice (especially when the user has have the experience before and taking really good care the second times), it suggests to me that this may be more than just an outlier event and perhaps could be an indication of a more serious underlying problem. Maybe it is just some serious bad luck for that person, but we can never be sure. At least from my personal point of view, I would rather buying from a company that doesn't get many warranty claim than a company that provides excellent CS. Of course, a company that doesn't get many warranty claim while still provides excellent CS is even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back