Shure customer service: best ever - no kidding
May 8, 2008 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Mandrake

Head-Fier
I recently had an accident with my Shure 310. At first they were Ok, which really attests to their build quality. Incredible they survived at all. But one bud got intermittently scratchy.

So I had to send them back for repairs. I fill out the online form. I'm totally honest about where I bought them, and indicate they had a major accident and point out the scratches on both buds. I include my CC info. These are well w/in the 2 year period (I don't think they've been out that long). But I think I have at least two strikes against a warranty replacement. Which is why I gave the CC info, b/c they have a blanket charge for fixes (which may just be replacement from what I think I've read). I asked them to make up their own mind on how to interpret the warranty.

So here's the fantastic part. I sent them from IN to IL last Weds. A new pair arrived today, a week later (next Weds). No charge??!!!

Holy cow!!!! Fast, no charge, and I was upfront, and I'm still not sure if I'm deserving. Thank you so much Shure!!!.

I don't think one can ask for more.

In addition to this, I love these IEMs. I have superfis ($99 version) which are great in the high end, but can't get into my perhaps smallish ears enough to give the bass they are capable of. These Shures seal very well, and give much better bass and isolation. I like the heavy cord. I don't like having to untangle the superfis (esp with the behind ear curved wire) every time I want them. I trust the heavy wire.

Thank you Shure. Great customer service.!

May 8, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 20
I always like to hear about these kind of stories. I find that many head/earphone companies get it right in regards to customer service. I recently contacted Ultrasone out of the blue seeing if I could purchase a pair of drivers for a project. They responded and followed through in a friendly and timely manner. Impressive.

May 8, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 20
When you're talking about relative niche catering corporations they tend to be way more friendly than huge behemoths who see you as just a statistic in the grand scheme of things. Good customer service is hardly guaranteed but you're way more likely to get it.

May 8, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 20
yeap. I think a lot of people really like the shure warrenty. However, a lot of people dont like it because they buy their earphones from head-fiers without the invoice.

May 8, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 20
It's true that niche companies tend to have better customer service, usually because they can't afford to hire big call centers to handle it for them.

Big call centers have no effing clue how to provide good customer service. I work for one so I should know. -_- Not only that but they're so clueless and don't ever listen to the suggestions of the people on the front lines--the phones. We're told to promise the moon knowing full well that none of it will ever get truly fixed.

So many ideas they love to pat themselves on the back for just piss people off to no extent, but too many people are content to deal with mediocre service these days that they just allow themselves to get walked on and keep throwing money at these companies.

May 8, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 20
Well, if you have good quality products, than the customer service doesn't have to be the best in the business.

When more people need to experience this 'best' customer service, it only suggests to me that the QC really need to be improved.

May 8, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 20
ClieOS, I'm not sure I agree with you.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think the vendors described so far have incredible quality in their products and have a good QC process in place. It's not necessary that the product broke due to bad quality for a person to have interaction with the vendor. There have been times when I've had questions and have experienced both good and bad customer service.

May 8, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 20
a while ago, i had an abused pair of bose in-earphones. called bose, gave them the serial number. they sent fedex to pick it up, and i got the replacement pair 3 days later.
bad products but some exceptional customer service.

May 8, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ClieOS, I'm not sure I agree with you.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think the vendors described so far have incredible quality in their products and have a good QC process in place. It's not necessary that the product broke due to bad quality for a person to have interaction with the vendor. There have been times when I've had questions and have experienced both good and bad customer service.

It is just my impression, certainly not to imply that all Shure and UE's product are bad in quality... However, lets just say that the far-too-often posting of those horrifying pictures of green / cracking cable and the snap-off removable cable socket on the IEM's earpieces should somehow suggest to those companies that there must be something wrong with the either the design, the material or the manufacturing process.

I understand that there will be outlier even when a company is doing its best to keep everything in place, but I can't stop feeling that maybe, just maybe, that a company will rather live with flaw than spending more money to correct the problem. We all know airplane manufacturers do this, but does IEM maker practice the same strategy? (Just a thought, not thing serious implied)

May 8, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you have good quality products, than the customer service doesn't have to be the best in the business.

When more people need to experience this 'best' customer service, it only suggests to me that the QC really need to be improved.

i dont agree either, mandrake clearly states he had an accident with his phones, which suggests the damage taken was not natural or down to the phones themself.

all to many people complain about poor quality products but usually all earphones last more than long enough if care is taken, too many people expect them to withstand anything just because they cost a bomb. but the reality of it is you cant buy an expensive ferrari and expect it to not crumple in a crash because its expensive, that just does not happen, you have to take care of your property for it to last, and the same goes for earphones.

May 8, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is just my impression, certainly not to imply that all Shure and UE's product are bad in quality... However, lets just say that the far-too-often posting of those horrifying pictures of green / cracking cable and the snap-off removable cable socket on the IEM's earpieces should somehow suggest to those companies that there must be something wrong with the either the design, the material or the manufacturing process.

I understand that there will be outlier even when a company is doing its best to keep everything in place, but I can't not stop feeling that maybe, just maybe, that a company will rather live with flaw than spending more money to correct the problem. We all know airplane manufacturers do this, but does IEM maker practice the same strategy? (Just a thought, not thing serious implied)

you do make a good point here well done.

we all expect the manufacturers to correct any problem, but i dont think that would happen myself.

May 9, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #15 of 20
Hi ClieOS,

I hope you noticed that I (OP) said I had an accident with the Shures. And they still treated me right. I think they are very sturdy, but it was a bad accident.

So that's how great Shure is.

How you ever tried Dell customer service? The best thing about it was getting two money off certificates b/c they screwed up so badly, and repeatedly.

Also, it occurs to me that one might reverse the logic: only companies that make good stuff can afford to offer over the top good, no foot dragging or red tape customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back