Shure AONIC 50 -
Dec 11, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #1,186 of 1,309
Do you guys think Shure will launch a gen 2 any time soon? :)
Who knows for sure except the guys at Shure?
I don't see any glaring problems with the Aonic 50, so it may well stay for some time. It's only about 1 year old after all...

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #1,187 of 1,309
What would you like to see in a gen 2?

I can't think of much Shure could do really. They already sound great and are super comfy. Guess the noise cancelling could be improved (moot point for me, I don't really use it), maybe longer battery life? Allow EQ with LDAC?

Edit: actually, if Shure could implement some kind of folding mechanism, I'd be interested. Making these more portable would be awesome!
Nothing much really, BT tech will always move forward! I wouldn't mind a new version that supported the new Snapdragon sound, along with other improvements to the build/comfort. More premium feeling buttons would be especially appreciated.

My personal wish is an open back wireless version ^^ But not many OEMs are into that market :frowning2:

Who knows for sure except the guys at Shure?
I don't see any glaring problems with the Aonic 50, so it may well stay for some time. It's only about 1 year old after all...

They're actually 2 years old very soon :) They were announced at CES 2020.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #1,188 of 1,309
Quick question, are EQ settings save in the headphones? For example if I use with my phone and EQ it through the Shure app, when I switch to using it with my laptop will the EQ setting still be there?

From what I read a fair few pages back the answer is a no (and that EQ ONLY applies to songs played through the Shure app), but I'm wondering if an update has changed this.

Thanks.

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #1,191 of 1,309
With the latest update, EQ settings applied through the Shure app are saved on the headphones and applied regardless of playback source. Not sure if there’s an exception when using LDAC though.

Thanks. Does it that also apply when they're used wired?

I've read that the Sony XM4, while they save the EQ settings when switching between devices using bluetooth, will revert back to baseline when used wired.

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #1,193 of 1,309
Not sure if this is the right thread but anyways. Is SRH440 still a good buy in sub $200? If it is, I have a couple of questions.
1. I will be connecting it to my Hiby R3 pro saber. Is that enough to drive these effectively? R3 has a balanced output of 280 mw @ 32 ohms.
2. How do I change the cable to 2.5 mm balanced? I heard Shure has a locking system in the headphone and we cannot buy just any cable. Is that the case?

Appreciate the help.

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #1,194 of 1,309
Not sure if this is the right thread but anyways. Is SRH440 still a good buy in sub $200? If it is, I have a couple of questions.
1. I will be connecting it to my Hiby R3 pro saber. Is that enough to drive these effectively? R3 has a balanced output of 280 mw @ 32 ohms.
2. How do I change the cable to 2.5 mm balanced? I heard Shure has a locking system in the headphone and we cannot buy just any cable. Is that the case?

Appreciate the help.
I‘m not sure this is the right place for other Shure models… did you try the search function? There seem to be some threads about the SRH440.
While I don’t know that specific model, normally Shure models hold up well over time in my experience. I still love my SE846 after about 7 years…
Regarding balanced: if the headphone doesn’t have separate ground connections for left/right an adapter won’t help. Judging only by looks I’d expect the SRH440 to have a normal unbalanced connector on the headphone.
On the other hand I guess you won’t need the additional power, so of the SRH440 fits your preferences tonally why not try it unbalanced?

Dec 29, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #1,195 of 1,309
I‘m not sure this is the right place for other Shure models… did you try the search function? There seem to be some threads about the SRH440.
While I don’t know that specific model, normally Shure models hold up well over time in my experience. I still love my SE846 after about 7 years…
Regarding balanced: if the headphone doesn’t have separate ground connections for left/right an adapter won’t help. Judging only by looks I’d expect the SRH440 to have a normal unbalanced connector on the headphone.
On the other hand I guess you won’t need the additional power, so of the SRH440 fits your preferences tonally why not try it unbalanced?
SRH440 has a 2.5mm connector but with a twist lock.
I can use it unbalanced but balanced because of its high power will certainly improve the SQ.

Dec 29, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #1,196 of 1,309
SRH440 has a 2.5mm connector but with a twist lock.
I can use it unbalanced but balanced because of its high power will certainly improve the SQ.
2,5mm does not automatically imply balanced.

High power does not imply improved sound quality… amp output must fit the power requirements of the headphone, and the headphones impedance and sensitivity give a hint at the technical compatibility. An map should not be stressed, i.e. have to work at full capability — that will most likely produce subpar output. Having a much too powerful amp doesn’t work either: you might have a higher noise floor and might experience too small volume setting range before output becomes too loud.

Dec 29, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #1,197 of 1,309
2,5mm does not automatically imply balanced.

High power does not imply improved sound quality… amp output must fit the power requirements of the headphone, and the headphones impedance and sensitivity give a hint at the technical compatibility. An map should not be stressed, i.e. have to work at full capability — that will most likely produce subpar output. Having a much too powerful amp doesn’t work either: you might have a higher noise floor and might experience too small volume setting range before output becomes to
It's 2.5mm trrs. That's balanced right?

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #1,198 of 1,309

Lol, as @plakat literally just said, 2.5mm does not necessarily mean balanced.

My M40x has 2.5mm. It's not balanced.

All it is is a different dimension to 3.5mm.

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #1,199 of 1,309
At least there are enough connections... but it still depends on how the cabling is done within the headphone. You could ask Shure support on how the connectors are used on that jack. If +/- of both drivers are completely independent, a balanced cable could be manufactured (or maybe someone already builds one) for this use case. But careful, don't try with just any balanced cable: if it doesn't fit with the internal cabling of the headphone, your amp might get damaged.

But again: in all probability you don't need a balanced connection. It's not automatically better and in many cases just provides more power. Which might help with some hard to drive planar magnetic systems, but most probably not in this case. Balanced is no secret sauce (even if some proponents want to make you believe just that).

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #1,200 of 1,309
At least there are enough connections... but it still depends on how the cabling is done within the headphone. You could ask Shure support on how the connectors are used on that jack. If +/- of both drivers are completely independent, a balanced cable could be manufactured (or maybe someone already builds one) for this use case. But careful, don't try with just any balanced cable: if it doesn't fit with the internal cabling of the headphone, your amp might get damaged.

But again: in all probability you don't need a balanced connection. It's not automatically better and in many cases just provides more power. Which might help with some hard to drive planar magnetic systems, but most probably not in this case. Balanced is no secret sauce (even if some proponents want to make you believe just that).
I don't believe that balanced output in itself can provide better sound. But I believe the extra power would.

Its just that I recently bought the Moondrop Kato. And the balanced output from my DAP made a significant difference especially in the soundstage. My R3 saber has an unbalanced power of 80mw and 280 mw in balanced.

I just got it in my mind that if it makes a difference in a 10 mm driver iem it surely would in a 40 mm driver headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back