Shure AONIC 50 -
Jan 6, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #1,201 of 1,309
What would you like to see in a gen 2?

I can't think of much Shure could do really. They already sound great and are super comfy. Guess the noise cancelling could be improved (moot point for me, I don't really use it), maybe longer battery life? Allow EQ with LDAC?

Edit: actually, if Shure could implement some kind of folding mechanism, I'd be interested. Making these more portable would be awesome!
My main knock is that they were too small for my head. The clamping force others have discussed also probably contributed some to my discomfort, but my ears were getting caught on the earcup. A few more notches on the headband, maybe more oval earcups, and that would be solved. And greatly appreciated. I moved on to the Sony XM4 and they're very comfortable, but I prefer the sound and versatility of the A50.

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #1,203 of 1,309
What would you like to see in a gen 2?

I can't think of much Shure could do really. They already sound great and are super comfy. Guess the noise cancelling could be improved (moot point for me, I don't really use it), maybe longer battery life? Allow EQ with LDAC?

Edit: actually, if Shure could implement some kind of folding mechanism, I'd be interested. Making these more portable would be awesome!

If they did this, it would be an instant buy for me:

Get the weight under 300g
Make it foldable so the travel bag isn't so humongous
Improve the ANC (Lots of headphones 1/4 the price have better ANC)
Make the earpads more easily replaceable (no proprietary fitting mechanism) or make the opening a little bigger.

Jan 7, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #1,204 of 1,309
If they did this, it would be an instant buy for me:

Get the weight under 300g
Make it foldable so the travel bag isn't so humongous
Improve the ANC (Lots of headphones 1/4 the price have better ANC)
Make the earpads more easily replaceable (no proprietary fitting mechanism) or make the opening a little bigger.
Except for the last point this might have just happened. It’s name is Aonic 40:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-aonic-40-wireless-headphones.961473/

Folds flat into a smaller case, longer battery life, lighter.

Jan 7, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #1,205 of 1,309
Jan 12, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #1,206 of 1,309
Hi, new here and need some advice from Aonic 50 owners.
I bought a pair of Aonic 50s from Amazon Spain, managed to snag them for just €150. Very happy.

For the build and audio quality, I am very very happy. They sound really super IMO. However, I have noticed that the microphone quality and ANC is IMO, terrible. The ANC basically does not do much in my tests (it could well be that these tests are not great of course). I've tried a few calls with the headphones and the mic quality is really really bad. So I figured there is a problem with the headphones. So I switched to testing using my wifes Pixel phone, mic sounds fine albeit picks up a lot of higher frequencies and sounds somewhat metallic. How can it be that the mic sounds so bad on my iphone but on other devices is ok? Could be app dependent? Codec? Or something simple like how they sit on my head?

So I can send them back to Amazon for a refund, or to Shure for a repair, or of course keep them. I'm not sure they're actually faulty, and I really want to keep them given how much I like the audio quality (and price), but boy the mic & ANC quality...

Any ideas or tips! Thanks

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #1,207 of 1,309
Hi, new here and need some advice from Aonic 50 owners.
I bought a pair of Aonic 50s from Amazon Spain, managed to snag them for just €150. Very happy.

For the build and audio quality, I am very very happy. They sound really super IMO. However, I have noticed that the microphone quality and ANC is IMO, terrible. The ANC basically does not do much in my tests (it could well be that these tests are not great of course). I've tried a few calls with the headphones and the mic quality is really really bad. So I figured there is a problem with the headphones. So I switched to testing using my wifes Pixel phone, mic sounds fine albeit picks up a lot of higher frequencies and sounds somewhat metallic. How can it be that the mic sounds so bad on my iphone but on other devices is ok? Could be app dependent? Codec? Or something simple like how they sit on my head?

So I can send them back to Amazon for a refund, or to Shure for a repair, or of course keep them. I'm not sure they're actually faulty, and I really want to keep them given how much I like the audio quality (and price), but boy the mic & ANC quality...

Any ideas or tips! Thanks

I think the ANC quality was always know to be quite poor so I don't think there's anything faulty going on there.

No idea about the mic quality, sorry, but someone here will answer you.

Jan 17, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #1,208 of 1,309
I don’t think the ANC level is so bad… maybe not the best, but fully adequate and in conjunction with the excellent sound quality very usable.

Unfortunately I don’t remember trying any phone calls with the 50 while I still had it… but it sounds to me like an exchange might be worth trying @johnieutah

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #1,209 of 1,309
Who knows for sure except the guys at Shure?
I don't see any glaring problems with the Aonic 50, so it may well stay for some time. It's only about 1 year old after all...
Would love to see them go all in on sound quality with price being secondary. Basically would love to see something that rivals a good 500-600$ pair of wired closed back headphones in sound quality and has excellent noise cancellation to go with it. Probably unrealistic as most peoples upper limit is the price range the aonic 50 launched in. There is also a good chance that it is not possible with amount of isolation needed for higher frequencies, but one can wish.

Pads could be slightly deeper and noise cancellation could be improved (both how it affects sound quality a bit and how much noise it cancels out). The aonic 50 are still my primary wireless headphones for office use and other times when OK noise cancellation is enough, but if going on a plane ride or similar then I grab another pair of noise cancelling headphones. If I am at home then it is mostly one of my wired pairs, but I've sometimes used the aonic 50 at home as well.

Feb 5, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #1,210 of 1,309
Would love to see them go all in on sound quality with price being secondary. Basically would love to see something that rivals a good 500-600$ pair of wired closed back headphones in sound quality and has excellent noise cancellation to go with it. Probably unrealistic as most peoples upper limit is the price range the aonic 50 launched in. There is also a good chance that it is not possible with amount of isolation needed for higher frequencies, but one can wish.

Pads could be slightly deeper and noise cancellation could be improved (both how it affects sound quality a bit and how much noise it cancels out). The aonic 50 are still my primary wireless headphones for office use and other times when OK noise cancellation is enough, but if going on a plane ride or similar then I grab another pair of noise cancelling headphones. If I am at home then it is mostly one of my wired pairs, but I've sometimes used the aonic 50 at home as well.
Yes, that all stops out approach would definitely be interesting. Shure has the means to accomplish something extraordinary.

The Aonic 40 was not that thing, to me at least: the cups were as small as with the Aonic 50, the tuning was less neutral (but not badly so) and they folded more. Yet they were not that all-in model I’d love to see.

Your points would be my recommendation as well.

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #1,211 of 1,309
Hello All,
I'm a newbie here and it's so very interesting to read through your reviews/experiences. I'm looking for a headphone with good build & sound quality and decent ANC for music, movies and most importantly for calls. I had tried the Sony WHXM4 and didn't really like the sound and more importantly the build quality.

Curious to get your insights on the ANC performance of the AONIC-50, which I understand is not as great as Sony or the Bose. How is the mic quality for calls over the phone and Teams via windows laptop. It seems like a mixed opinions ON AONIC-50 for mic and ANC.

Anyone here has tried/used the YAMAHA YH-L700A? Any comparisons or alternatives would be really helpful.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #1,212 of 1,309
Oh great thanks. Let us know your thoughts.

Thanks.
I finally started listening to the AONIC 50 with the new Dekoni fabric pads (and with Morphit equalization, which I recommend), but I'm not able right now to do some switching back and forth between the Dekoni and Shure pads, although I think the pads sound pretty good. They fit perfectly but they are made of a woven fuzzy fabric, not ultrasuede or alcantara. From memory, I think the mid bass is somewhat reduced in amplitude, but the bass is smooth and fast and still extends pretty deep. The pads definitely are cooler than the pleather Shure pads (which were a problem for me, getting hot and wet very quickly) and the padding seems softer. But the heat does build up after a while; the foam must retain body heat even though the fabric doesn't get wet like pleather. The highs are fine. The mids don't seem to be reduced. But again, these observations rely on my memory.

I with Shure would offer something like this made from a microfiber alcantara-like material that would likely be more durable.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #1,213 of 1,309
Hello All,
I'm a newbie here and it's so very interesting to read through your reviews/experiences. I'm looking for a headphone with good build & sound quality and decent ANC for music, movies and most importantly for calls. I had tried the Sony WHXM4 and didn't really like the sound and more importantly the build quality.

Curious to get your insights on the ANC performance of the AONIC-50, which I understand is not as great as Sony or the Bose. How is the mic quality for calls over the phone and Teams via windows laptop. It seems like a mixed opinions ON AONIC-50 for mic and ANC.

Anyone here has tried/used the YAMAHA YH-L700A? Any comparisons or alternatives would be really helpful.

Cheers!

Not sure about the mic, but I'm pretty sure the everyone would agree in saying that the ANC is just average and really should be a little better considering some budget headphones less than half the price do a better job (e.g. Soundcore Q30 and Q35).

Feb 14, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #1,214 of 1,309
Hello All,

Cheers!
I had some concerns (see my post a bit further up). In the end I decided to keep them, precisely for the reasons that @evhvis mentioned... They are superb around-the-house wireless headphones. ANC is poor IMO, but given the sound and build quality, and the fact I don't intend leaving the house with these on, I am willing to accept that given the great price I got them for. Call quality seems to be fine, nothing special... for me it really makes a difference precisely how they sit on my head it seems. Again, I won't be making many calls with these so I can live with the less than stellar performance there.

I am no expert at all, but to me these sound like a bluetooth version of my HD650s - which I love.

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #1,215 of 1,309
I haven't yet listened to these wired; they're wireless headphones, even if they support wired as a fallback. The price bracket is an interesting argument, since (like many of us) I've owned £800 cans, £1600 cans, £2200 cans etc., all are different, makes me not really sure it's that - it's more a design choice. I'm willing to bet that if Shure wanted to voice the Aonic 50 similarly to the SRH1540 at the price I paid, they could have, but they didn't.

I still think of the wireless bunch they're probably the best choice today. I prefer the voicing of the SRH1540 by quite a bit, but if I listen to the Aonic 50 while working I probably won't care, and voice calls will be very convenient.
How is the call quality of the Aonic 50? With the new firmware, has there been any improvements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back