Shure AONIC 50 -
Jan 19, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #916 of 1,309
i am sorry but i am under the impression that head fi is a serious forum site for audio enthusiasts, not for show off emptiness. I believe that such shallow points of view should be expelled right away.
I know you are being sarcastic, but when I was in academia, I saw fewer arguments over graphs between mathematicians than I do here. Still, this place is pretty chill...mostly.

Jan 19, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #917 of 1,309
i am sorry but i am under the impression that head fi is a serious forum site for audio enthusiasts, not for show off emptiness. I believe that such shallow points of view should be expelled right away.
If that was the only thing I was bringing to the table you might have a point. I was (and am) unaware of this high focused, unwavering “seriousness” (whatever that would mean) of this forum compared to your assesed lack of that on my part. I am new here, and new with headphones in general and very much busy with making the best of these phones (Aonic 50’s), enjoying them and finding out stuff that longer term owners of these phones on this forum did not know.

Having 2 headphones, each with limited (2 devices) auto-switching bluetooth connectivity helps if you own (and use) more than just one or 2 devices. If I cannot express that advantage, or having the option of colors, without triggering it being boasting/empty to you then so be it. I would think that appreciating the Aonics in a world that holds the Sony MX3/4 as “best in class“ already would disqualify me from your verdict.

Also going for the (open back) Planar’s as a next step, and sharing some of the enthousiasm for those headphones isn’t part of some shallowness on my behalve, but shows a good taste seeing that these are also neutral and a good step up from the (closed) Aonic 50’s.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #918 of 1,309
If that was the only thing I was bringing to the table you might have a point. I was (and am) unaware of this high focused, unwavering “seriousness” (whatever that would mean) of this forum compared to your assesed lack of that on my part. I am new here, and new with headphones in general and very much busy with making the best of these phones (Aonic 50’s), enjoying them and finding out stuff that longer term owners of these phones on this forum did not know.

Having 2 headphones, each with limited (2 devices) auto-switching bluetooth connectivity helps if you own (and use) more than just one or 2 devices. If I cannot express that advantage, or having the option of colors, without triggering it being boasting/empty to you then so be it. I would think that appreciating the Aonics in a world that holds the Sony MX3/4 as “best in class“ already would disqualify me from your verdict.

Also going for the (open back) Planar’s as a next step, and sharing some of the enthousiasm for those headphones isn’t part of some shallowness on my behalve, but shows a good taste seeing that these are also neutral and a good step up from the (closed) Aonic 50’s.

At least have one senn M3 (my favourite of the bunch) and one Aonic (also good with its own pros), not 2 of the same!! 😀
Edit: i sold my xm4 after one week. Never liked neither their sound nor their fit.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #919 of 1,309
At least have one senn M3 (my favourite of the bunch) and one Aonic (also good with its own pros), not 2 of the same!! 😀
Edit: i sold my xm4 after one week. Never liked neither their sound nor their fit.
I had m3 and forgetting the low frequency boost as you can reduce with equalizer, I didn’t get the fast driver response as px7 that I like but I must admit for sq only it pleases a lot... I wished a more neutral and clean fast sound so here I am.. did you compared m3 with aonic? What can you tell?

Jan 19, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #920 of 1,309
I bought the brown one when there were only 2 options, because I didn’t want yet another black device. 4 days later I saw that there was a brand new white model, which would have been my single and preferred choice. I had just torn off the label from the side of the headphones so I couldn’t return the brown one. I decided to also buy the white model and maybe sell/gift the brown one to family.

The white ones arrived only recently, after a full month waiting for them. Haven’t decided yet what to do, but meanwhile fully enjoying having two. I might end up with several different (wireless) headphones, but preferably it would have to be an upgrade from the Aonics in stead of a step aside (Sennheiser M3’s).

Jan 19, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #921 of 1,309
I had m3 and forgetting the low frequency boost as you can reduce with equalizer, I didn’t get the fast driver response as px7 that I like but I must admit for sq only it pleases a lot... I wished a more neutral and clean fast sound so here I am.. did you compared m3 with aonic? What can you tell?
I like Senn more. I like their deeper bass and their treble more. Generally punchier. Also lighter, perfect fit, no warm ears, leather pads and much more portable. Aonics give a little more pressure on the head. More balanced sound but less punchy. It’s quite subjective.

Jan 19, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #922 of 1,309
I like Senn more. I like their deeper bass and their treble more. Generally punchier. Also lighter, perfect fit, no warm ears, leather pads and much more portable. Aonics give a little more pressure on the head. More balanced sound but less punchy. It’s quite subjective.
It depends on personal taste, and such a sound signature can often be achieved by doing some internal/external EQ. I have not yet tried using EQ with the Aonics, which unfortunately cannot be easily done on an iPhone/iPad. (I use Spotify + Qobuz, not AppleMusic which is used by the Shure PLAY-app, which offers EQ)

I did some reading today in the APM topic where several placed the Aonic above the SM3 and APM for pure sound quality.

For now I‘m focussing my attention on the Aonics and the Planars.

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #923 of 1,309
Just got these. The sound is the real deal. With that said. On my computer, I've tried to use the USBC wired mode. I get sound but after a few seconds it stops. Has anyone had this? I'm dying to give it a thorough listening to connected.

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #925 of 1,309
Just got these. The sound is the real deal. With that said. On my computer, I've tried to use the USBC wired mode. I get sound but after a few seconds it stops. Has anyone had this? I'm dying to give it a thorough listening to connected.
No issues when listening via USB C on my MacBook Pro. If you’re on Windows you may be encountering a driver issue.

It depends on personal taste, and such a sound signature can often be achieved by doing some internal/external EQ. I have not yet tried using EQ with the Aonics, which unfortunately cannot be easily done on an iPhone/iPad. (I use Spotify + Qobuz, not AppleMusic which is used by the Shure PLAY-app, which offers EQ)
I spent some time yesterday cycling through the EQ presets built into iOS, while simultaneously changing them in the Music app on macOS to visually see what curve they each applied. I actually found the Hip Hop one to work very well with the AONIC, as it emphasizes sub bass and adds just a touch more treble energy. Especially for songs that lack a bit of punch with the default signature, it’s quite effective. Even through drilling through Settings > Music > EQ is tedious, it‘s nice to be able to make the adjustment then listen to stuff in the Music app without having to use Shure’s app.

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #928 of 1,309
Yes, that’s standard. Two presses of the center button to skip to the next track, three presses to go back to the previous one.
No I mean skip the track like iOS has. By long pressing the forward button I can move the track ahead. Can you do that here?

I read this...
The play button is flanked by volume buttons that act as skip/rewind when held down

Edit: I guess only touch controlled headphones will have fast forward and rewind abilities the way I want them?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #929 of 1,309
I’m so sad now... after listening to them, these are very probably the best sounding anc closed wireless headphones. My problems. Passive noise isolation is weak for me, my ears hurt because they aren’t ”all in” and I have small changes in low end with glasses... but if I take time trying to get a better fit the changes are minimal...

So sad... :/

Jan 20, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #930 of 1,309
No I mean skip the track like iOS has. By long pressing the forward button I can move the track ahead. Can you do that here?
Ahh, you're correct, you cannot do that here. I'm not sure I've heard of a Bluetooth headphone that can actually fast forward or rewind the current playback position.

I’m so sad now... after listening to them, these are very probably the best sounding anc closed wireless headphones. My problems. Passive noise isolation is weak for me, my ears hurt because they aren’t ”all in” and I have small changes in low end with glasses... but if I take time trying to get a better fit the changes are minimal...
Bummer :slight_frown: It's too bad there aren't any third party ear pads available to mitigate those comfort issues, at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back