Shure AONIC 50 -
Jan 24, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #946 of 1,309
momentum bass and treble are impressive. Aonics do not have such deep but still accurate and controlled bass. Aonics are certainly more balanced and as a result i could say more “boring” headphone, faithful to Shure traditions. The impressive thing on momentum though is how comfortable they really are. They do not make your ears hot and sweaty due to the vast space they allow your ears in. Also the genuine leather pads contribute to that. They are light and never feel disturbing at any point, either on your ears or on the crown of your head. Even though they have really big bass, they remain accurate and clean on midrange. The treble is marvelous with impressive level of extension and details, classic on a Sennheiser headphone. Such treble cannot even be dreamt by B&W on the px7, which has well known treble problems. Finally there is no video lag on momentum. Whoever wants reference sound on a really bulky headphone may be looking for Aonic though. For the rest i think momentum is a better deal by Sennheiser.

Remember too that now the m3 is have 2 types of EQ, the original that is a gimmick and very bad, and a new one with 3 bands (bass, mids and treble) that working very well for reducing the bass if is necessary and is saving this settings in the headphone that the aonic 50 don't.

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #947 of 1,309
Just ordered momentum 3, and starting the process of return px7 carbons. Is a shame because px7 even being dark sometimes if the treble was less peaky... loving aonic sound but instrument separation and soundstage is weak is like they are for analysis... I will compare to m3 if it does what I want. If not I can only think in h95 but that price... :/

Jan 25, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #948 of 1,309
Did anybody experience issue with recognizing Aonic 50 as Headset only instead of Headphones under Windows 10, when connected via Bluetooth?
In my case all was fine until I connected Aonic to pc via USB cable and turned on the Aonic. Then Windows recognized it as Headphones and since then when I connected it via Bluetooth I got totally bad sound and basically only Headset recognition (it rejected to mark it as Headphones since that time via bluetooth). Voice and mic still worked fine but sound of everything was crap.
I started to uninstall all bluetooth and audio drivers, trying to remove and pair again Aonics on both pc and Aonic side, it was still the same. Then I removed everything related to bluetooth and audio from Device manager, restored to a state 1 week back whole notebook via windows restore point (still crap), then again removing all drivers (at that time I was clear this can't be solved anymore, just wanted to put it back and turn off), then I did undo the restore point back and suddenly again the Aonic was paired as Headphones / Shure 50 Connected Music, and in audio devices as Headphones (Shure 50 Stereo).

I have no clue what happened here but now I'm scared to again plug the headphones via USB cable and turn them on :). I guess I will use it only for charging in turn off state.. Don't get this really.

Though, I must say this issue seems to be some generic one, not related to Aonic only but to all bluetooth headphones in some way, based on my research. It looks like bluetooth issue or something. But in my case it started with plugged in USB cable and playing music via this cable. It should not affect bluetooth at all.

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #949 of 1,309
Did anybody experience issue with recognizing Aonic 50 as Headset only instead of Headphones under Windows 10, when connected via Bluetooth?
In my case all was fine until I connected Aonic to pc via USB cable and turned on the Aonic. Then Windows recognized it as Headphones and since then when I connected it via Bluetooth I got totally bad sound and basically only Headset recognition (it rejected to mark it as Headphones since that time via bluetooth). Voice and mic still worked fine but sound of everything was crap.
I started to uninstall all bluetooth and audio drivers, trying to remove and pair again Aonics on both pc and Aonic side, it was still the same. Then I removed everything related to bluetooth and audio from Device manager, restored to a state 1 week back whole notebook via windows restore point (still crap), then again removing all drivers (at that time I was clear this can't be solved anymore, just wanted to put it back and turn off), then I did undo the restore point back and suddenly again the Aonic was paired as Headphones / Shure 50 Connected Music, and in audio devices as Headphones (Shure 50 Stereo).

I have no clue what happened here but now I'm scared to again plug the headphones via USB cable and turn them on :). I guess I will use it only for charging in turn off state.. Don't get this really.

Though, I must say this issue seems to be some generic one, not related to Aonic only but to all bluetooth headphones in some way, based on my research. It looks like bluetooth issue or something. But in my case it started with plugged in USB cable and playing music via this cable. It should not affect bluetooth at all.

In windows, at the bottom right of your screen, if you click on the sound icon it should popup with a horizontal volume slider. Above that there should be your device listed with a ^ up pointing icon. If you click that arrow up, it should drop up a list of devices that you are able to output to. Select your shures. But pick 'headphone' not 'headset'. It should have both listed. Often, bluetooth things connect as both 'headphones' and 'headset'. If you select headset, you can use it like a headset, and talk into it for chat and stuff, but it will sound like garbage. Or more exactly, it will sound like yours does right now. If you select headphone, it should start sounding good again.

I hope that helps :)

Jan 26, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #950 of 1,309
In windows, at the bottom right of your screen, if you click on the sound icon it should popup with a horizontal volume slider. Above that there should be your device listed with a ^ up pointing icon. If you click that arrow up, it should drop up a list of devices that you are able to output to. Select your shures. But pick 'headphone' not 'headset'. It should have both listed. Often, bluetooth things connect as both 'headphones' and 'headset'. If you select headset, you can use it like a headset, and talk into it for chat and stuff, but it will sound like garbage. Or more exactly, it will sound like yours does right now. If you select headphone, it should start sounding good again.

I hope that helps :)

This was not the case. When I connected headphones via bluetooth I had only Headset (for Shure 50) and Realtek motherboard audio, and when I connected via USB I had only Headphones (Shure 50) and Realtek.
Also, Aonic seems to not create 2 separate audio devices when connected via bluetooth, at least in my case it was only one Heapthone (Shure 50 Stereo). Headset was only for microphone, not audio device.

Anyway now it works again, but I'm affraid to again connect it via USB and turn on :).

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #951 of 1,309
This was not the case. When I connected headphones via bluetooth I had only Headset (for Shure 50) and Realtek motherboard audio, and when I connected via USB I had only Headphones (Shure 50) and Realtek.
Also, Aonic seems to not create 2 separate audio devices when connected via bluetooth, at least in my case it was only one Heapthone (Shure 50 Stereo). Headset was only for microphone, not audio device.

Anyway now it works again, but I'm affraid to again connect it via USB and turn on :).

I really thought I was being helpful lol. I'm glad it is working for you though.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #952 of 1,309
I really thought I was being helpful lol. I'm glad it is working for you though.
Sure! Was not my intention to dismiss that, so Thanks. Just said this is something known to me. Curious if you have this option to pick in your case with Aonic connected.. Because I don't have it even if all is working. I can choose only Headphones (Shure 50 Stereo) now when it again works.

Anyway, great headphones and I'm happy with them and the sound matches my taste.
I was just not expecting such complications with bluetooth on pc, but it is more issue with drivers than headphones. It's my first pair of such kind, it might be pretty old issue for others with a lot more of experience.

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #953 of 1,309
Sure! Was not my intention to dismiss that, so Thanks. Just said this is something known to me. Curious if you have this option to pick in your case with Aonic connected.. Because I don't have it even if all is working. I can choose only Headphones (Shure 50 Stereo) now when it again works.

Anyway, great headphones and I'm happy with them and the sound matches my taste.
I was just not expecting such complications with bluetooth on pc, but it is more issue with drivers than headphones. It's my first pair of such kind, it might be pretty old issue for others with a lot more of experience.

I don't, but I pair mine with a creative BT-W3 so that I can use the low latency aptX mode. Really offers a fantastic experience paired to that as I can select LL or HD modes... or just standard BT. The adapter registers as a set of speakers to the computer. The Low Latency mode, paired with some of windows dolby or dts headphones stuff really makes these shine. They are very analytical and precise by default and I find the enhancements really add that 'fun' sounding EQ on top to give them that kick they do miss a bit on their own. Really depends on my mood if I'm looking for that massively detailed soundstage or something a bit more fun and energetic sounding.

I had noticed the dual pairings when I was using a direct BT adapter prior to getting this thing in the mail. Also, I didn't feel you were being dismissive. :)

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #956 of 1,309
It’s official. My wife’s gonna hit me... just ordered AirPods max to compare all and return all but one ... for now the aonics seems to be the real gems in sq...
I’m very interested in the comparison! Be sure to try out all the SQ (sound quality) settings, like the guy used in that YT video I mentioned earlier.

Coming monday I will get my Avantone Pro Planars, and hopefully soon after the RME ADI-2 DAC FS (reference quality dac + amp + eq). Really looking forward to that!

Was considering to buy a Sennheiser HD800s as well, but just ordered the brand new €7299 Sony Alpha 1 which completely depleted my funds. Really looking forward to that one too!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #957 of 1,309
Remember too that now the m3 is have 2 types of EQ, the original that is a gimmick and very bad, and a new one with 3 bands (bass, mids and treble) that working very well for reducing the bass if is necessary and is saving this settings in the headphone that the aonic 50 don't.
Ok so testing m3 eq 3 bands, this is a bad eq. Why? When you increase or decrease a band you also increase or decrease other frequencies. It is not faithful to as say lower frequencies on the low fader. So better eq than the old but if you lower one fader you get increase in other frequencies not present in that fader. I don’t like it... one thing for sure m3 is sounding better with mileage so just letting them burn...
Am I the only one getting this response from the m3 eq?

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #958 of 1,309
Eesh... makes me appreciate the Shure PLAY EQ, despite it being limited to the app. Adjusting EQ is already enough of an advanced user thing—it seems much more reasonable to offer presets for casual users and a proper parametric EQ for folks who want more control. Diluting both into an awkward middle ground between the two is frustrating.

Regardless, I don't have any experience with the Momentum 3, but I appreciate the comparison you've been sharing. Please continue! I've contemplating picking up a pair of M3s for myself a few times over the past year.

Jan 29, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #959 of 1,309
Eesh... makes me appreciate the Shure PLAY EQ, despite it being limited to the app. Adjusting EQ is already enough of an advanced user thing—it seems much more reasonable to offer presets for casual users and a proper parametric EQ for folks who want more control. Diluting both into an awkward middle ground between the two is frustrating.

Regardless, I don't have any experience with the Momentum 3, but I appreciate the comparison you've been sharing. Please continue! I've contemplating picking up a pair of M3s for myself a few times over the past year.
Yes actually the eq old thing of the m3 has that behavior and I feel bad for this new eq, but I will try to burn them all for the first and compare them all. But one thing for sure, despite the virtual lack of low end on shure aonic, they are the most natural and faithful sounding anc headphones I listened. And the px7 carbons the most engaging and fun.

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #960 of 1,309
Yes actually the eq old thing of the m3 has that behavior and I feel bad for this new eq, but I will try to burn them all for the first and compare them all. But one thing for sure, despite the virtual lack of low end on shure aonic, they are the most natural and faithful sounding anc headphones I listened. And the px7 carbons the most engaging and fun.
Maybe you should keep the two so you can chose one that suits the occasion?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back