Shure AONIC 50 -
Jan 20, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #931 of 1,309
Ahh, you're correct, you cannot do that here. I'm not sure I've heard of a Bluetooth headphone that can actually fast forward or rewind the current playback position.

Sennheiser PXC 500-ii can do that and so can Sony WH-100XM4 and some other sony models. I think Beyerdynamic Lagoon can also do it. They all have a touch panel for playback controls. I guess that’s the difference.
Thanks for replying. :)

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #933 of 1,309
Man oh man... the pads must be softening!!! I don’t get the same hurt ear as at the beginning. But the bad passive isolation continues... is this normal? It gives the sensation of a semi open headphone. But the sound! I think maybe only h95 tops this but I bought them 305€ So to 800€ oh h95 is a long way!
Another bad point is range on these is low compared to others...

So summing up:

pros:
reference like sq
Microphone
run passive
Run digital usb

cons:
anc could be better and affecting less sq
Range is low
Comfort there is better
Heat generated ears
Reference sound like is less engaging than others (depends on recordings)
Passive isolation is weak at least for me

I only see 2options now... apm and h95. I’m torn to keep these...but have to deal face to face with the negatives!!! :)

Jan 22, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #934 of 1,309
Man oh man... the pads must be softening!!! I don’t get the same hurt ear as at the beginning. But the bad passive isolation continues... is this normal? It gives the sensation of a semi open headphone. But the sound! I think maybe only h95 tops this but I bought them 305€ So to 800€ oh h95 is a long way!
Another bad point is range on these is low compared to others...

So summing up:

pros:
reference like sq
Microphone
run passive
Run digital usb

cons:
anc could be better and affecting less sq
Range is low
Comfort there is better
Heat generated ears
Reference sound like is less engaging than others (depends on recordings)
Passive isolation is weak at least for me

I only see 2options now... apm and h95. I’m torn to keep these...but have to deal face to face with the negatives!!! :)
The earpads do soften! Glad to hear that part improved,

From the points you raise I would at least also try something else. Although the range is fine for me (>10 meters) and passive isolation is good (do ears/glasses prevent a proper seal?).

The frequency curve is relatively flat and does not follow an “optimal listening curve”, making it perhaps less engaging. There are several ways to introduce EQ into the mix, which could help out. I’m looking into that option, not so much for these Aonics but for the $400 wired Planars. For me the sound signature of the Aonics already checks enough boxes to not feel a direct need for adjustment.

If money is tight I see the dilemma otherwise you could sell the older phones (pre-Aonics) you have and choose either the APM or the H95 to compare. The APM will probably also cause heated ears and might take ages to arrive (so you cannot send the Aonics back after the APM arrives).

edit: you don’t have the Aonics on too loud? As I like them best at about 80% volume level, and disabled auto-volume adjustment in my audioplayer for that reason.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #935 of 1,309
The earpads do soften! Glad to hear that part improved,

From the points you raise I would at least also try something else. Although the range is fine for me (>10 meters) and passive isolation is good (do ears/glasses prevent a proper seal?).

The frequency curve is relatively flat and does not follow an “optimal listening curve”, making it perhaps less engaging. There are several ways to introduce EQ into the mix, which could help out. I’m looking into that option, not so much for these Aonics but for the $400 wired Planars. For me the sound signature of the Aonics already checks enough boxes to not feel a direct need for adjustment.

If money is tight I see the dilemma otherwise you could sell the older phones (pre-Aonics) you have and choose either the APM or the H95 to compare. The APM will probably also cause heated ears and might take ages to arrive (so you cannot send the Aonics back after the APM arrives).

edit: you don’t have the Aonics on too loud? As I like them best at about 80% volume level, and disabled auto-volume adjustment in my audioplayer for that reason.
At this time I have Bose 700 for sale, had Sennheiser momentum 3, bought px7 carbon edition and now aonic 50 and I should return one of them or both and buy other option.
Px7 are a great option and tiks all the boxes of what I want but they don’t have a flat response. But I love the energy and the stage it gives to music. I really do! I think they have better instrument separation that aonic has. I don’t know I have to listen more but loving the almost lack of dips and peaks on Sonics.
I’ve been listening to them all levels but they engage better at 70/80% yes.

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #936 of 1,309
At this time I have Bose 700 for sale, had Sennheiser momentum 3, bought px7 carbon edition and now aonic 50 and I should return one of them or both and buy other option.
Px7 are a great option and tiks all the boxes of what I want but they don’t have a flat response. But I love the energy and the stage it gives to music. I really do! I think they have better instrument separation that aonic has. I don’t know I have to listen more but loving the almost lack of dips and peaks on Sonics.
I’ve been listening to them all levels but they engage better at 70/80% yes.

What about your Senn M3? Do you prefer the Aonic 50? If so, why?

Jan 22, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #937 of 1,309
What about your Senn M3? Do you prefer the Aonic 50? If so, why?
When I had m3 it had too many quirks. YouTube lag , USB on Mac not working and exchanged twice for some problem I don’t remember. The sound was good but too much bass for what I was after and every time I changed the eq three final result was worse in general.

comparing m3 with aonic by memory I can say control precision texture and more natural sound on aonic. But in fact the boost in low end m3’s is better for commuters but for that I think I may enjoy px7 more?

edit: maybe all I need is momentum but from what I remember it didn’t impress me as much as aonic but it was a long time ago...

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #938 of 1,309
When I had m3 it had too many quirks. YouTube lag , USB on Mac not working and exchanged twice for some problem I don’t remember. The sound was good but too much bass for what I was after and every time I changed the eq three final result was worse in general.

comparing m3 with aonic by memory I can say control precision texture and more natural sound on aonic. But in fact the boost in low end m3’s is better for commuters but for that I think I may enjoy px7 more?

edit: maybe all I need is momentum but from what I remember it didn’t impress me as much as aonic but it was a long time ago...

momentum bass and treble are impressive. Aonics do not have such deep but still accurate and controlled bass. Aonics are certainly more balanced and as a result i could say more “boring” headphone, faithful to Shure traditions. The impressive thing on momentum though is how comfortable they really are. They do not make your ears hot and sweaty due to the vast space they allow your ears in. Also the genuine leather pads contribute to that. They are light and never feel disturbing at any point, either on your ears or on the crown of your head. Even though they have really big bass, they remain accurate and clean on midrange. The treble is marvelous with impressive level of extension and details, classic on a Sennheiser headphone. Such treble cannot even be dreamt by B&W on the px7, which has well known treble problems. Finally there is no video lag on momentum. Whoever wants reference sound on a really bulky headphone may be looking for Aonic though. For the rest i think momentum is a better deal by Sennheiser.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #939 of 1,309
momentum bass and treble are impressive. Aonics do not have such deep but still accurate and controlled bass. Aonics are certainly more balanced and as a result i could say more “boring” headphone, faithful to Shure traditions. The impressive thing on momentum though is how comfortable they really are. They do not make your ears hot and sweaty due to the vast space they allow your ears in. Also the genuine leather pads contribute to that. They are light and never feel disturbing at any point, either on your ears or on the crown of your head. Even though they have really big bass, they remain accurate and clean on midrange. The treble is marvelous with impressive level of extension and details, classic on a Sennheiser headphone. Such treble cannot even be dreamt by B&W on the px7, which has well known treble problems. Finally there is no video lag on momentum. Whoever wants reference sound on a really bulky headphone may be looking for Aonic though. For the rest i think momentum is a better deal by Sennheiser.
The aonic give me the idea I have a big and comfortable on ear and not a over ear. Is not the same comfort. It’s better than first day but doesn’t seam to get any better...

The treble on them are almost perfect for me, are the m3s treble this extended detailed and clear? You are right about the comfort that I remember well since even with glasses had no problems and no heat.
Guess I have to think on momentum/apm/h95... but h95 800€ is too much...

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #940 of 1,309
The aonic give me the idea I have a big and comfortable on ear and not a over ear. Is not the same comfort. It’s better than first day but doesn’t seam to get any better...

The treble on them are almost perfect for me, are the m3s treble this extended detailed and clear? You are right about the comfort that I remember well since even with glasses had no problems and no heat.
Guess I have to think on momentum/apm/h95... but h95 800€ is too much...
To me treble is better on momentum and mids of course always on Shure. It’s personal preference for sure but Momentum won me over due to their unmatched comfort level, one that i never encountered on any other over ear to be honest, as well as due to their deep and detailed bass, since i admit i am a low frequency lover, which Shure seems to not be able to provide in the level i want.

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #941 of 1,309
Do you think this cable https://oidiosound.co.uk/pellucid-plus-aonic-50?search=aonic will make a difference in sound instead of the one that comes with the headphones? I don't have any other equipment, e.g., amp or extra DACs, only the SA50 connected on a MacBook Air 2017. I also think there is no cheap way to increase the sound quality. Moreover, I can't choose on tidal between USB or analog mode, I think I prefer analog, but the USB mode allows me to stay connected on two devices simultaneously via Bluetooth, so I use it more. Audirvana software made the sound quality better, but the trial ended, and I'm using the Tidal bad app again.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #942 of 1,309
It for sure is a night-and-day upgrade in materials. The Pellucid Plus cable is light and flexible but sturdy, and looks and feels great. It’s not cheap but I think it’s worth it.

As for sound, you’re not likely to get much consensus regarding differences in cables. In my very brief testing the soundstage sounded slightly wider to me on the same song with the Pellucid Plus cable vs. the stock one, but I readily admit I do not have a lot of experience with different cables—I picked this one up for the material and visual qualities and have been very satisfied with those alone. If you’re trying to correct for something in the way the AONICs sound, you‘ll get farther looking into other things like EQ (or perhaps putting your money toward an Audirvana license since it sounds like you prefer that to TIDAL).

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #943 of 1,309
To me treble is better on momentum and mids of course always on Shure. It’s personal preference for sure but Momentum won me over due to their unmatched comfort level, one that i never encountered on any other over ear to be honest, as well as due to their deep and detailed bass, since i admit i am a low frequency lover, which Shure seems to not be able to provide in the level i want.
Well I’ll return px7 carbons but they went for 250€... I’ll order momentum just to check some opinions and compare with aonic but be aside heat I’m loving the sound on these, I mostly enjoy rock in general, some metal and industrial... but I listen to all genres.

if I could it would be for sure h95 for what I read. But I’m trying to get away from top budgets and the max for me would be the 629€ for apm... but man these aonic do sound great

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #944 of 1,309
Hello to everyone.
My questions are to the ones who own or used to own (or just compared in detail) Dali iO-6 and Shure Aonics 50.
I've gone through search results in this thread but have not found a lot of opinions (unless I just missed some).

So, I'd been using iO-6 for almost one year and eventually sent them for replacement due to the on/off button issue and the cracked headband (both issues are known for first-production units, so Dali accepts them for warranty which is definitely great). Now, I have two options from my store - get a new pair of iO-6 as a replacement or switch to another model (with price difference compensation). Before I bought Dalis, I've done the research and my choice was really conscious, but I was not aware of Aonics or they were just not on the market yet back then.

I really loved my Dalis for the sound signature, and according to what I have read Aonics are pretty close to iO-6. So now it looks that Aonics might be a good alternative option. I'm going to visit the store and to compare them back-to-back. But since it'll be a comparison at the store, I suppose I won't be able to cover all things. Probably, I'll be able to compare how they sound (but not warmed up), and some first impressions on the comfort and connectivity.

So, I would appreciate the comparison info from experience on the following:

1. Sound signature and stage.
What is the main difference between Dali & Shure?
Just in case, my genres are different kinds of rock (except for the heaviest ones like metal), plus funk, jazz, lounge, progressive, pop.

2. Cabin pressure created by ANC.
I did not feel it with iO-6 at all, and it was great. The other way example is Bose QC35 which made a significant cabin pressure to me.

3. ANC quality, especially the ability to cut off the chatting.
That is the weak point for Dalis. While QC35 are just great in that.

4. Clamping force and general comfort.
WIth iO-6, when I was listening to them for a long time (30-40 minutes and more) I had to adjust their position on my ears and especially on my head from time to time, otherwise it was not comfortable. And again, I'd say QC35 are truly amazing in comfort.

Points 3 and 4 are the ones that pushing me to consider an alternative to Dalis. In all other aspects, I think they are almost perfect to me.
Plus it looks like Aonics have LDAC support and two-device-at-time BT connectivity which also sounds interesting since iO-6 are missing both.

So, it would be really helpful to me to know more opinions around. I have unexpectedly found myself on the fence, while before I was sure I found "my" headphones and won't be bothered with the choosing process for a few years :)

UPDATE:
One thing I missed above. I didn't feel any significant difference in sound signature with ANC on and off with my iO-6 except for some really minor difference in the bass. And it was really cool. And I know that some ANC headphones do have that difference, sometimes pretty significant. So I'm interested if there such in Aonics?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #945 of 1,309
Hello to everyone.
My questions are to the ones who own or used to own (or just compared in detail) Dali iO-6 and Shure Aonics 50.
I've gone through search results in this thread but have not found a lot of opinions (unless I just missed some).

So, I'd been using iO-6 for almost one year and eventually sent them for replacement due to the on/off button issue and the cracked headband (both issues are known for first-production units, so Dali accepts them for warranty which is definitely great). Now, I have two options from my store - get a new pair of iO-6 as a replacement or switch to another model (with price difference compensation). Before I bought Dalis, I've done the research and my choice was really conscious, but I was not aware of Aonics or they were just not on the market yet back then.

I really loved my Dalis for the sound signature, and according to what I have read Aonics are pretty close to iO-6. So now it looks that Aonics might be a good alternative option. I'm going to visit the store and to compare them back-to-back. But since it'll be a comparison at the store, I suppose I won't be able to cover all things. Probably, I'll be able to compare how they sound (but not warmed up), and some first impressions on the comfort and connectivity.

So, I would appreciate the comparison info from experience on the following:

1. Sound signature and stage.
What is the main difference between Dali & Shure?
Just in case, my genres are different kinds of rock (except for the heaviest ones like metal), plus funk, jazz, lounge, progressive, pop.

2. Cabin pressure created by ANC.
I did not feel it with iO-6 at all, and it was great. The other way example is Bose QC35 which made a significant cabin pressure to me.

3. ANC quality, especially the ability to cut off the chatting.
That is the weak point for Dalis. While QC35 are just great in that.

4. Clamping force and general comfort.
WIth iO-6, when I was listening to them for a long time (30-40 minutes and more) I had to adjust their position on my ears and especially on my head from time to time, otherwise it was not comfortable. And again, I'd say QC35 are truly amazing in comfort.

Points 3 and 4 are the ones that pushing me to consider an alternative to Dalis. In all other aspects, I think they are almost perfect to me.
Plus it looks like Aonics have LDAC support and two-device-at-time BT connectivity which also sounds interesting since iO-6 are missing both.

So, it would be really helpful to me to know more opinions around. I have unexpectedly found myself on the fence, while before I was sure I found "my" headphones and won't be bothered with the choosing process for a few years :)

UPDATE:
One thing I missed above. I didn't feel any significant difference in sound signature with ANC on and off with my iO-6 except for some really minor difference in the bass. And it was really cool. And I know that some ANC headphones do have that difference, sometimes pretty significant. So I'm interested if there such in Aonics?
If you do a search of this topic you’ll find quite a lot of Dali references and comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back