Shure AONIC 50 -
Jan 29, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #961 of 1,309
This evening was the first time I used the Aonics (on my bike) after listening to the Avantone Pro Planars. Although I heard much more precision (sound quality, location) from the Planars for several hours it was a joy listening again to the “inferior” Aonics. They’ve got the detail and sound quality that counts when there is no opportunity to delve deep into the music. I’m so glad that taping the grills was such an improvement because it was quite windy but that didn’t bother me one bit. They’re both keepers!

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #962 of 1,309
Maybe you should keep the two so you can chose one that suits the occasion?
I had to return px7 carbon since today was the deadline... there’s inconsistency in mids and highs but they present music in a unique form! That I will remember well.
This coming week should arrive apm.

when I do test with generator signal I get some artefacts on high frequencies on m3 and Bose 700. Percfectly clean on px7 carbon and aonic.

I will try to sum up for a good comparison and post

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #963 of 1,309
when I do test with generator signal I get some artefacts on high frequencies on m3 and Bose 700. Percfectly clean on px7 carbon and aonic.
That’s because the passive performance of the Aonic is so good. Shure built on that, not EQ. Only when people complained did they EQ the frequency response during ANC in a firmware update (I think), which would explain why it is so ”off”.

Jan 29, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #964 of 1,309
Count me in as someone who's gone back to the Momentum 3 from the Shure Aonic 50. Mainly due to the more dynamic and exciting signature of the Momentum 3, but also because of the improved app and the ability to manage my bluetooth connections from the app, and the ability to EQ the Momentums via the app and have it save to the headphones.

As someone who's tried and owned all the major players, Bose N700, B&W PX7, Dali iO-6, Sony 1000XM3, Shure Aonic 50, NAD Viso HP70, and the Momentum 3, the Momentum 3 is my personal favorite sound signature out of all. Notice I didn't say best. That's because they're all different. The Shure and Dalis are the most neutral and analytical to my ears. The Shure is closer to studio headphones than the Dalis though as the Dalis have a slightly emphasized bass in comparison. Nothing on this list beats the excellent high and mid details of the Shure in my opinion. The Momentum 3 and PX7 are exciting, dynamic, big, and bold, although they do this in different ways. I call the Momentum 3 a modern audiophile headphone. Very detailed while not being harsh. Fairly neutral response with a bass boost. Excellent soundstage. The PX7 are like studio monitors for your ears. They have a unique sound signature unlike any on this list. Most either love them or hate them as they definitely present your music in a unique fashion and can make some tracks sound for lack of a better word, different. I LOVE them for movies and gaming. In my opinion, biggest soundstage on this list. The NADs are very smooth. Big treble roll off but still very detailed. Just a very pleasing signature to my ears. The Bose and Sony are my least favorite sound signature on this list. Bose falls into the category with the Dalis and Shures but are no where near as refined, detailed, or natural sounding. The Sonys are a fun headphone but muddier and less detailed than both the PX7 and Momentum. Let's just say it's less fun LOL.

As someone who's gone back and forth between all these headphones over the past many months, I've settled on the Momentums and PX7. It wasn't an easy choice, but they fit my needs better. I use the Momentums as my daily drivers. I work from home and they are my Office headphones for Music, TV, Movies, and Phone Calls. The PX7 are secondary. I use them in the evenings when movie watching or gaming, or when I'm in the mood for them musically. I personally like their unique presentation. I also grab the PX7 on the rare occasion I travel.

For those that are curious, here's how I'd rank all these:

Sound -
1a) Shure Aonic 50
1b) Sennheiser Momentum 3
3a) Dali iO-6
3b) B&W PX7
5) NAD Viso HP70
6) Bose N700
7) Sony 1000XM3

ANC -
1) Sony 1000XM3
2) Bose N700
3) B&W PX7
4) Sennheiser Momentum 3
5) NAD Viso HP70
6) Shure Aonic 50
7) Dali iO-6

Comfort -
1) Shure Aonic 50
2) Sony 1000XM3
3a) Bose N700
3b) Sennheiser Momentum 3
5) B&W PX7
6) Dali iO-6
7) NAD Viso HP70

Phone Calls -
1) Bose N700 (Best in the business)
2) Sennheiser Momentum 3
3) Shure Aonic 50
4) Dali iO-6
5) B&W PX7
6) NAD Viso HP70
7) Sony 1000XM3

Features/Convenience - (The biggest convenience feature for me is the ability to manage connected bluetooth devices via the app, that's why the Momentum and PX7 are my top two. Bose has this as well but Sony has a better EQ, Sound Optimizer, and quick attention so I put it ahead. The Momentum beats the PX7 because it has an EQ and the PX7 doesn't. I do LOVE that the PX7 can still be connected to my phone via Bluetooth while gaming on my Xbox1 or PX4. Makes it so I don't have to ignore phone calls. Haven't tested this with the Momentum)
1) Sennheiser Momentum 3
2) B&W PX7
3) Sony 1000XM3
4) Bose N700
5) Shure Aonic 50
* The Dali and NAD don't matter as neither has an app, can be updated, eq'd, etc.

Overall -
1) Sennheiser Momentum (If I could only own one wireless anc headphone this would be it. Excellent sound, great features, great comfort, excellent for phone calls and is the only one that comes close to the Bose in this category. You'd just need to purchase a 3rd party case if you planned on traveling with them)
2) Shure Aonic 50 (If I was a traveling musician or used my wireless anc headphones for critical listening, these would be it)
3) B&W PX7 (Excellent travel headphone, unique sound signature, great features)
4) Bose N700 (Although the sound quality is mediocre, I can't argue that these are the best travel headphones on this list. Especially if you are on the phone a lot or use your voice assistant. Light, portable, compact, excellent ANC, good features, and the best mic for phone calls in the business.)
5) Sony 1000XM3 (Second best travel headphone on this list)
6) Dali iO-6 (I really loved the sound signature on these, however, they don't seal well which makes the sound without ANC enabled VERY inconsistent. Not enough modern features to compete with the rest
7) NAD Viso HP70
After having issues with heated ears I tried again with the Aonic 50 and purchased the white ones. No idea why but these seemed to suit me better, not sure if it's due to the cold weather or something going on with me. Either way I have been using them for a few weeks and loving them. I still own the senn M3 and BW PX7. When I compare the sound between all 3, I have realised that my love for the Aonic 50 has lessened. I appreciate the other 2 with the M3 sounding absolutely wonderful, with the right balance of fun and detail. Maukey's write up summed it up nicely.
In short, I have 3 different sounding headphones which fits any mood I am in; I've had all 3 on at different times of the day 🙂
But if I had to choose one I would go with the M3. I find myself increasingly smiling when I swap from the Aonic 50 to the M3 with the oomph of the bass and the clarity you can get to playing with the EQ.

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #965 of 1,309
Ok so testing m3 eq 3 bands, this is a bad eq. Why? When you increase or decrease a band you also increase or decrease other frequencies. It is not faithful to as say lower frequencies on the low fader. So better eq than the old but if you lower one fader you get increase in other frequencies not present in that fader. I don’t like it... one thing for sure m3 is sounding better with mileage so just letting them burn...
Am I the only one getting this response from the m3 eq?

I don't having m3, like I saying before, but I remember the new, but with limitations (only 3 bands only) EQ is working definitely better than original EQ and is giving me more correct control of the sound with small adjustments (people usually having tendency for making big EQ changes).

Yes, the EQ in the shure app is many better than the 2 EQ types in m3, but this settings don't saving in the sa50 unfortunately (lucky for me the factory sound of sa50 is excellent for 95% of my music).

Jan 30, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #966 of 1,309
I don't having m3, like I saying before, but I remember the new, but with limitations (only 3 bands only) EQ is working definitely better than original EQ and is giving me more correct control of the sound with small adjustments (people usually having tendency for making big EQ changes).

Yes, the EQ in the shure app is many better than the 2 EQ types in m3, but this settings don't saving in the sa50 unfortunately (lucky for me the factory sound of sa50 is excellent for 95% of my music).
I agree with you about factory sound of aonic. M3 eq no matter how little you change they do what I told. If you go up or down more than 3 than it’s so much noticeable. That doesn’t mean you can’t change it to your linking, I just don’t like this eq...

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #970 of 1,309
Sorry about my snarky response. The type was so small in the manual, that I had to use reading glasses. Made me feel old. No mention of personal assistants in there. The middle button should be configurable for that, but hadn't triggered it.

I'm returning them to Crutchfield, as I find they don't excel at either noise cancelling or audio. Mind you, I live in an apartment by an airport so it's not the easiest application. I also use $1000 + headphones. They had sounded lousy through the corded connection to my Benchmark DAC. Most headphones I had tried in the $300 to $500 range had sounded better like Shures and Sennheisers. The Sony XM4s are better at cancelling higher frequency noise, and worse for music. The Shures have the best build, and don't slide around on my head.

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #971 of 1,309
I can’t find anything in the manual. Can someone having these headphones please tell me?
It opens a Voice Assistant on mine if I press the wrong button the wrong way. Hate these features, so I try to avoid them. I de-activated all that stuff in System-settings but it still pops up. So for you the function is there, at least on an iPhone. I think it is long-pressing the button in between the volume buttons.

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #972 of 1,309
Sorry about my snarky response. The type was so small in the manual, that I had to use reading glasses. Made me feel old. No mention of personal assistants in there. The middle button should be configurable for that, but hadn't triggered it.
It opens a Voice Assistant on mine if I press the wrong button the wrong way. Hate these features, so I try to avoid them. I de-activated all that stuff in System-settings but it still pops up. So for you the function is there, at least on an iPhone. I think it is long-pressing the button in between the volume buttons.

So it is there I take it? Thank you!

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #973 of 1,309

I'm returning them to Crutchfield, as I find they don't excel at either noise cancelling or audio. Mind you, I live in an apartment by an airport so it's not the easiest application. I also use $1000 + headphones. They had sounded lousy through the corded connection to my Benchmark DAC. Most headphones I had tried in the $300 to $500 range had sounded better like Shures and Sennheisers. The Sony XM4s are better at cancelling higher frequency noise, and worse for music. The Shures have the best build, and don't slide around on my head.
The aonic sound lousy? Or you have a bad unit or you are lacking seal... still, can’t imagine why people compare wireless anc headphones made for battle street with comfy home made wired headphones costing same or more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back