Shure AONIC 50 -
Sep 16, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #511 of 1,309
So I had my Aonics now for three weeks and can give my real usage impressions.

Comfort
They get a bit uncomfortable with my piercings after a few hours of listening.
However I managed to improve this by finding a better position for the headband.
Overall this isn't a problem for people without piercings and I would expect them to be very comfortable for those.
About the sweaty ears, yes I get those as well but it's still +25°C here. In the evening or in a climate controlled room they are fine.
I like that the ear cups are so far apart in the resting position, this way I can wear them around my neck without strangling myself.
This wasn't possible with the PXC550.

Battery life
I haven't heard the low battery warning yet and charge them about every two/three days.
I think they are my first pair of headphones which actually report the battery level correctly to the phone.
So when I see that they show about 20% in the evening I put them on the charger.

Misc
You can drive them passively which would have been great a few years ago.
Since I fully switched to Bluetooth for listening music on the go this is a feature which I don't really need anymore because my phone doesn't have a 3.5mm port and I don't know where my adapter is.
Cool to see that it works anyway.

Noise Cancelling
Works okay for my needs, it works really well for deep sounds like the rumbling of a truck or buss engine.
Less so with higher sounds like clicking, car wheels on the street or people talking.
The passive isolation works well enough so that you can switch off the ANC when it is windy.

The ANC works IMO much better when you're listening to music than when you're listening to podcasts.
Especially when someone is talking next to you. The PXC550 worked better with podcasts while commuting.

Speaking of commuting, I found that on trains the Max ANC setting would be the best, however that messes with the volume which is really annoying (@Shure please fix this).
It would be nice if one could replace the hear through setting with the Max ANC setting on the slider.
E.g. "slider top" = Max ANC, "slider middle" = ANC off, "slider bottom" = ANC normal.

BTW, ANC definitely changes the sound, on normal not that much but on Max it's clearly hearable.
It doesn't make them bad, they just don't sound that great anymore.

Sound
I really, really like them.
They are basically what I have been looking for in a wireless headphone for a long time.
Clear sound and nice details, sometimes they are maybe a bit too detailed for certain people.
They are one of those headphones which can make a song unhearable when the recording is crap.
But that is actually what I want, on some songs I heard the musicians breath and the clicking of flaps on the instruments which I haven't noticed before.
IMO they go really well with music with a female singer e.g. Amanda Jenssen.
I don't really know how else I should describe them.

Verdict
When Shure fixes the problems with the ANC they are a 4.5/5 for me.
For a 5/5 they need to have ear cups which a slightly bigger diameter and a better material.
That said I still think they are the best Bluetooth ANC over-ear headphones on the market.
Maybe even the best Bluetooth over-headphones overall once I've heard the Pandas.

Very good post / review!!

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #512 of 1,309
So I had my Aonics now for three weeks and can give my real usage impressions.

Comfort
They get a bit uncomfortable with my piercings after a few hours of listening.
However I managed to improve this by finding a better position for the headband.
Overall this isn't a problem for people without piercings and I would expect them to be very comfortable for those.
About the sweaty ears, yes I get those as well but it's still +25°C here. In the evening or in a climate controlled room they are fine.
I like that the ear cups are so far apart in the resting position, this way I can wear them around my neck without strangling myself.
This wasn't possible with the PXC550.

Battery life
I haven't heard the low battery warning yet and charge them about every two/three days.
I think they are my first pair of headphones which actually report the battery level correctly to the phone.
So when I see that they show about 20% in the evening I put them on the charger.

Misc
You can drive them passively which would have been great a few years ago.
Since I fully switched to Bluetooth for listening music on the go this is a feature which I don't really need anymore because my phone doesn't have a 3.5mm port and I don't know where my adapter is.
Cool to see that it works anyway.

Noise Cancelling
Works okay for my needs, it works really well for deep sounds like the rumbling of a truck or buss engine.
Less so with higher sounds like clicking, car wheels on the street or people talking.
The passive isolation works well enough so that you can switch off the ANC when it is windy.

The ANC works IMO much better when you're listening to music than when you're listening to podcasts.
Especially when someone is talking next to you. The PXC550 worked better with podcasts while commuting.

Speaking of commuting, I found that on trains the Max ANC setting would be the best, however that messes with the volume which is really annoying (@Shure please fix this).
It would be nice if one could replace the hear through setting with the Max ANC setting on the slider.
E.g. "slider top" = Max ANC, "slider middle" = ANC off, "slider bottom" = ANC normal.

BTW, ANC definitely changes the sound, on normal not that much but on Max it's clearly hearable.
It doesn't make them bad, they just don't sound that great anymore.

Sound
I really, really like them.
They are basically what I have been looking for in a wireless headphone for a long time.
Clear sound and nice details, sometimes they are maybe a bit too detailed for certain people.
They are one of those headphones which can make a song unhearable when the recording is crap.
But that is actually what I want, on some songs I heard the musicians breath and the clicking of flaps on the instruments which I haven't noticed before.
IMO they go really well with music with a female singer e.g. Amanda Jenssen.
I don't really know how else I should describe them.

Verdict
When Shure fixes the problems with the ANC they are a 4.5/5 for me.
For a 5/5 they need to have ear cups which a slightly bigger diameter and a better material.
That said I still think they are the best Bluetooth ANC over-ear headphones on the market.
Maybe even the best Bluetooth over-headphones overall once I've heard the Pandas.
Nice review, thank you @Nebucatnetzer! I note that Bowers and Wilkins PX7 Carbon edition is out, pretty good looking, same price as AO50. It lacks LDAC but otherwise similar functionality to AO50. Can anyone who's spent time with both AO50 and PX7 comment on the comparative sound quality characteristics of these 2? Thanks!

Sep 17, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #513 of 1,309
Nice review, thank you @Nebucatnetzer! I note that Bowers and Wilkins PX7 Carbon edition is out, pretty good looking, same price as AO50. It lacks LDAC but otherwise similar functionality to AO50. Can anyone who's spent time with both AO50 and PX7 comment on the comparative sound quality characteristics of these 2? Thanks!

Sure!

The PX7 is a lot like listening to a loud speaker system—it has an incredible, weighty low end that‘s also somehow well defined and pretty textured. In that sense it definitely retains the thick, trademark house sound that B&W is known for. It’s a bit different with respect to the mid- and high-range though—it’s got a lot of peaks and valleys which makes it well suited for some genres (like electronic) but not so much for others (like rock and acoustic). That said though, I’d be lying if I claimed it didn’t put a ʘ‿ʘ on my face most of the time, especially when bumping stuff like Two Fingers, oOoOO, and Run the Jewels. The PX7 has one of the widest sound stages I’ve ever heard in a headphone, and the physical design and build quality is top notch. I like that headphone a lot.

That said, I like the Aonic 50 more. The Shures have a very consistent frequency response that lets details (especially in the midrange) shine much more compared to the PX7. It took a little while to acclimate to the relatively flat bass on the Aonic 50, but once I did, it became obvious how much more balanced the sound is. The bass impact is still there especially on well-mastered tracks, it’s just not forced on all tracks like it is on the PX7. But the benefit is that I’ve been able to hear small details I haven’t noticed before in some of my favorite songs, from all genres. Stuff from Radiohead, Interpol, and TOBACCO just sounds so detailed and compelling with the Aonics, and even better when passively wired through a good source (whereas the PX7 can’t be used without being powered on).

So I guess it boils down to what you want. If you’re looking for something super fun and engaging, the PX7 is a fine choice. It captures that feeling of driving down the freeway in a convertible with wind in your hair and subs in your trunk, but with headphones. If you want something more technically capable and revealing—like listening to a high-quality home setup while sipping scotch—go with the Aonic 50. If I had to choose just one I’d choose the Shures but I’d still have a special place in my heart for the kind of concert-like experience that B&W prioritizes in their headphones, and I think the Carbon edition looks really nice too.

Sep 17, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #514 of 1,309
Sure!

The PX7 is a lot like listening to a loud speaker system—it has an incredible, weighty low end that‘s also somehow well defined and pretty textured. In that sense it definitely retains the thick, trademark house sound that B&W is known for. It’s a bit different with respect to the mid- and high-range though—it’s got a lot of peaks and valleys which makes it well suited for some genres (like electronic) but not so much for others (like rock and acoustic). That said though, I’d be lying if I claimed it didn’t put a ʘ‿ʘ on my face most of the time, especially when bumping stuff like Two Fingers, oOoOO, and Run the Jewels. The PX7 has one of the widest sound stages I’ve ever heard in a headphone, and the physical design and build quality is top notch. I like that headphone a lot.

That said, I like the Aonic 50 more. The Shures have a very consistent frequency response that lets details (especially in the midrange) shine much more compared to the PX7. It took a little while to acclimate to the relatively flat bass on the Aonic 50, but once I did, it became obvious how much more balanced the sound is. The bass impact is still there especially on well-mastered tracks, it’s just not forced on all tracks like it is on the PX7. But the benefit is that I’ve been able to hear small details I haven’t noticed before in some of my favorite songs, from all genres. Stuff from Radiohead, Interpol, and TOBACCO just sounds so detailed and compelling with the Aonics, and even better when passively wired through a good source (whereas the PX7 can’t be used without being powered on).

So I guess it boils down to what you want. If you’re looking for something super fun and engaging, the PX7 is a fine choice. It captures that feeling of driving down the freeway in a convertible with wind in your hair and subs in your trunk, but with headphones. If you want something more technically capable and revealing—like listening to a high-quality home setup while sipping scotch—go with the Aonic 50. If I had to choose just one I’d choose the Shures but I’d still have a special place in my heart for the kind of concert-like experience that B&W prioritizes in their headphones, and I think the Carbon edition looks really nice too.
Hey, @ryanmatic from one Bay Area guy to another thank you so much for exactly the comparative information I needed. I am a bit past the convertible stage and preferred genres are acoustic, jazz and classical, so sounds like Aonic 50 is my ride. Still assessing how much use I'd get from an over-ear wireless (recently picked up the FiiO BTR5 to listen to my IEM's via Bluetooth) but the Aonic 50 may be in my near future. Your comments are a big help, thanks again!

Sep 19, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #515 of 1,309
I was listening to the AONIC 50 yesterday, via LDAC from my Sony WM1A. I continue to be very impressed with the clarity and neutrality of the headphones, and their comfort. They just disappear sonically, letting the music speak for itself. They're detailed and clear without drawing too much attention to the details because of peaks and added emphasis. The bass is level and deep, fast and tight. The midrange is sweet. (This was with the ANC at the normal level.)

And I forget I'm wearing them, which is not typical for closed over-ear headphones in my experience. The clamping force is perfect and my eyeglass temples (metal) fit under the pads without any issues. Now that the ambient temperature is lower, I don't have any ear sweat issues.

To top is all off, they fit perfectly on my Woo Audio stands without deforming the headband padding.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #516 of 1,309
How does this Shure A50 compare to the Sony 1000Xm2? Is it a lot better in sound quality? I don’t really care about noise cancelling. Just want the best sounding headphone. And do they compare to a wired headphone of the same price?

thanks!

Sep 27, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #517 of 1,309
To me the Aonic 50 is the best wireless headphones so far (I've yet to hear the H95 but don't expect any wonders and no better performance/price ratio given the B&Os price).
Obviously part of the asking price goes into the electronics, so a passive wired-only headphone might sport even better drivers. Still the Aonic is at a Level that let's me grab it often despite owning multiple good wired headphones as well... wireless is just very convenient, and given this level of performance it doesn't feel like much of a compromise to me anymore.

Sep 27, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #518 of 1,309
How does this Shure A50 compare to the Sony 1000Xm2? Is it a lot better in sound quality? I don’t really care about noise cancelling. Just want the best sounding headphone. And do they compare to a wired headphone of the same price?

thanks!
Hey, I didn't listen to the XM2, but to the XM3. And the Shure simply wipe the floor with them if it comes to SQ.
Noise cancelling wise, the A50 have a bit better lower frequency NC and less higher frequency NC.

Sep 27, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #519 of 1,309
Hey, I didn't listen to the XM2, but to the XM3. And the Shure simply wipe the floor with them if it comes to SQ.
Noise cancelling wise, the A50 have a bit better lower frequency NC and less higher frequency NC.

Thanks! I might have to buy this when they go on sale later in the year. I actually love the look of the A50, and hate the plastic look of the XM2. But they are good for traveling.

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #521 of 1,309
Yeah, the A50 are a bit bulky when it comes to travel. They’re also notably heavier and somewhat larger compared to the XM line, but are still quite comfortable when worn. And as others have said, sound quality isn’t really comparable—the Sonys are thumpy fun but the Shures are crisp, layered, detailed, and engaging.

Sep 30, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #523 of 1,309
I just found out that Toneboosters' Morphit AU plugin has a setting for the Shure AONIC 50. I have not tried it on MacOS yet and I can't try it on iOS because the only audio I play from my phone is via Qobuz, which doesn't support plugins. Here's the correction setting:

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 9.51.12 AM.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back