Shure AONIC 50 -
Oct 3, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #541 of 1,309
Really liking these, but I have constant drop outs when using. Phone calls are terrible as they keep disconnecting and reconnecting constantly. I’m almost ready to give up on these if I can’t get them to keep their connection. Happens on all 6 types of devices I use from TV, bluesound soundbar, A&K SR25, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook (newest) and a different iPhone.

I'd contact Shure Support. They should not be doing that.

Oct 3, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #543 of 1,309
Oct 3, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #544 of 1,309
For the people that have this headphone, I’ve read that you can use it connected by the USB-C port, as an external DAC. But does it work with an iPad, iPhone? Or just with computers? how is the sound doing that? Is it better than with Bluetooth?

Also, how‘s the sound while using it with a 3.5mm cable? The Sony W1000XM2 sounds terrible with the analog cable.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 4, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #546 of 1,309
Aoinic 50 got a dac build inside the headphones?
Bluetooth, so yes, have to have an internal DAC to convert the digital to analog signal that feeds the internal amp and drives the headphone. This gets bypassed when wired. Not sure when used over USB-c but that probably engages the DAC as well. Dont own these, so speculating. But other BT capable headphones behave this way.

Oct 4, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #547 of 1,309
Anybody here compared the A50 to the new B&0 H95? Way different price brackets, I know. If there isn’t much difference then the A50 is a clear winner. But given diminishing marginal returns that can be expected, even if the H95 is 20% better (using sound signature as the criteria), then it might be worth going up. Just checking if anyone has heard both.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #548 of 1,309
For the people that have this headphone, I’ve read that you can use it connected by the USB-C port, as an external DAC. But does it work with an iPad, iPhone? Or just with computers? how is the sound doing that? Is it better than with Bluetooth?

Also, how‘s the sound while using it with a 3.5mm cable? The Sony W1000XM2 sounds terrible with the analog cable.

Thanks in advance.

Interesting idea... and yes, it works: connection the Aonic 50 via a USB-C cable to my iPad Pro I can play audio over that connection. Unfortunately the Aonic also tells me reassuringly "headphone charging"... So the iPads battery may take a hit doing that.

Anybody here compared the A50 to the new B&0 H95? Way different price brackets, I know. If there isn’t much difference then the A50 is a clear winner. But given diminishing marginal returns that can be expected, even if the H95 is 20% better (using sound signature as the criteria), then it might be worth going up. Just checking if anyone has heard both.

@angelom had both and prefers the H95. I wanted to test the H95, but did not come around to that as of yet... which is both due to a lack of time and my satisfaction with the Aonic 50. There's some more statements on that comparison in the H95 thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...95-anc-headphones-reviews-impressions.941031/

Oct 4, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #549 of 1,309
Bluetooth, so yes, have to have an internal DAC to convert the digital to analog signal that feeds the internal amp and drives the headphone. This gets bypassed when wired. Not sure when used over USB-c but that probably engages the DAC as well. Dont own these, so speculating. But other BT capable headphones behave this way.
My phone, Samsung Note 10+, has no 3.5mm connector, and the phone has no internal DAC. I would like to buy a headphone with internal DAC and connect Note 10 to headphone through USB C to USB C cable. I only use Bluetooth occasionally. Which phone support USB Hi Res? Among Shure Aonic 50, Hifiman Deva, and Audeze Mobius, which one sounds better? Are there any better choices besides these three? Thank you very much for your help.

Oct 4, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #550 of 1,309
My phone, Samsung Note 10+, has no 3.5mm connector, and the phone has no internal DAC. I would like to buy a headphone with internal DAC and connect Note 10 to headphone through USB C to USB C cable. I only use Bluetooth occasionally. Which phone support USB Hi Res? Among Shure Aonic 50, Hifiman Deva, and Audeze Mobius, which one sounds better? Are there any better choices besides these three? Thank you very much for your help.

Oct 4, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #551 of 1,309
Interesting idea... and yes, it works: connection the Aonic 50 via a USB-C cable to my iPad Pro I can play audio over that connection. Unfortunately the Aonic also tells me reassuringly "headphone charging"...

FYI: The Aonic has to be turned on and the iPad Bluetooth connection has to be disconnected.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #552 of 1,309
Any headphone that connects via Bluetooth or USB-C has an internal DAC, because those are digital connections. So the audio arrives in digital format at the headphones and has to be converted into analog.

The sound is highly subjective I would say. I love the A50.
The Devas are open back I think, so not really good for using them outside or in the office.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #553 of 1,309

I am not sure what you mean by a phone supporting USB high Res... If I understand it correctly, and I may be mistaken, the question is what resolution is supported by the DAC in this headphone that does the decoding. Someone here who has the Aonic 50 and has tried to connect it up to their phone via the USB-C may be able to tell us.

Oct 4, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #554 of 1,309
FYI: The Aonic has to be turned on and the iPad Bluetooth connection has to be disconnected.

I've tried both on and off, so yes, I can confirm that the Aonic has to be turned on -- just as expected, its DAC needs power...
I don't use the Bluetooth connection to my iPad, the headphone is paired only to my iPhone.

Regarding hi-res: I don't use that (due to many reasons) and therefore can't test that: don't have software that would play such files on my iPad. Sorry.

Oct 4, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #555 of 1,309
I've tried both on and off, so yes, I can confirm that the Aonic has to be turned on -- just as expected, its DAC needs power...
I don't use the Bluetooth connection to my iPad, the headphone is paired only to my iPhone.

Regarding hi-res: I don't use that (due to many reasons) and therefore can't test that: don't have software that would play such files on my iPad. Sorry.

Thanks for testing it! the headphone it’s supposed to know when data is being transmitted and it should stop charging.

I hope it does improve the quality, since iOS only has AAC Bluetooth. And I do have a ton of high res music, I use the VOX app, and have all my music there. So the only way I can listen to it, is through iOS devices, this would solve my problems, it’s either buying this BT headphone and connect it to my iPad and iPhone via USB C, and listen to high res music, or buying a dheaper price wired headphone like the Sony 1AM2 and a Dragonfly RED. I already have the 1000Xm2, but I don’t like the sound a lot, it’s great for travel though.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back