Shure AONIC 50 -
Aug 9, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #436 of 1,309
I've found most closed headphones will promote heat/sweating, especially if they touch my ears (we're not even talking about discomfort from pressure on your outer ear). But the degree of heat & sweat depends upon the material of the pad and how large they are, plus your own body's unique response to heat. For what it's worth, I found the A50 to be better than any other closed headphone I have owned or tried, except for my Audio-Technica WP900, which have larger pad openings. The A50 pads have a fabric interior which makes them more comfortable than others with the artificial leather on the interior (that's the section of the pad that goes from the pad surface to the inside grill over the driver). By comparison I tried the ADAPT 660 (a modified Sennheiser) and they were sweat generators as soon as I put them on, far worse than anything I've ever experienced.

On-ear headphones can be very uncomfortable from pressure on your outer ear and finding one with decent noise reduction is probably a futile exercise, unless you want "call center" headphones that don't come close to the audio quality of the A50. There's only one open ANC headphone, the new Grado.

But I do wish the A50 pads were real leather, which tends to be cooler than artificial leather.

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #437 of 1,309
Thanks for that extremely fast answer. :)

And yes, this is mainly about the heat. And I also had the feeling, that the A50 aren't that bad in that regard. Maybe over-ears are just not for hot summer days (which aren't too many in germany anyways).

The on-ear discussion is exactaly what i thought as well. The options are quite limited also. And open back ANC is a niche market. I use them for daily travel, work, ... .

Anyone can tell me if the A50 or M3 are producing more heat on the ears?

Aug 10, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #438 of 1,309
Anyone can tell me if the A50 or M3 are producing more heat on the ears?

I don't know if you remembering my post of 10 days ago: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-aonic-50.931134/page-24#post-15774063 I saying in the beginning: "I selling my sa50 one week ago for two reasons but specially one: the artificial leather is making my ears hot and sweating very quickly. This isn't a problem in the past because the weather isn't so hot. But with little temperature going up the ear pads aren't good at all."

Maybe you wanting more opinions than me but I can saying you that with my sennheiser m3 I'm very happy now (the second time I buying this headphone for specially this reason and for the more practical folding for the travels too). My ears isn't so hot but is more important even that my ears never sweating. My p7 wireless (isn't anc and having leather ear pads too) is still little better than m3 and is over ears too.

Aug 10, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #439 of 1,309
I don't know if you remembering my post of 10 days ago: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-aonic-50.931134/page-24#post-15774063 I saying in the beginning: "I selling my sa50 one week ago for two reasons but specially one: the artificial leather is making my ears hot and sweating very quickly. This isn't a problem in the past because the weather isn't so hot. But with little temperature going up the ear pads aren't good at all."

Maybe you wanting more opinions than me but I can saying you that with my sennheiser m3 I'm very happy now (the second time I buying this headphone for specially this reason and for the more practical folding for the travels too). My ears isn't so hot but is more important even that my ears never sweating. My p7 wireless (isn't anc and having leather ear pads too) is still little better than m3 and is over ears too.
Thanks a lot. I did read the post, but forgot the reason. :)
That's pretty promising.

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #442 of 1,309
First impresssion and immediate comparison with BW PX7. SA 50 definitely the nicest female vocals ever heard in anc wireless headphones, almost comparable to AKG K872. BW PX7 seems being half a tone or a tone below through whole spectrum that adds nice depth to male vocals but destroys female vocals accuracy completely. I have often feeling that female singers do not sing well while listening BW PX7.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #443 of 1,309
It took me several hours to charge it fully - and that was from a high-capacity charger.

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #445 of 1,309
My personal take on the Shure Aonic 50

These beauties arrived last Tuesday (two weeks ago, now) so, although I have lost a few sleep hours over them, I haven’t listened to them for too long yet in order to have thorough impressions.
But yes, while listening to music on these, they really “take you away” and the last thing you’re thinking is going to bed because of work the next day.
The first thing I did was to try my dedicated headphone playlist () and, as soon as every one of those very familiar songs started playing, I grinned and shrugged in awe... I was sure I had made the right choice.
I then proceeded to treat them cans to a full day of a slew of pink, brown, white noises and frequency tone sounds at 60% volume. Did they change? I guess they “loosened up” a bit. The “attack” in the notes is smoother, the frequency spectrum is more even, again smoother, I believe. It’s slight but noticeable. Burn-in hoax or not, it doesn’t hurt and I felt a difference, for the better.
But these are already, thankfully, flat. And flat is not bad. If, like me, you prefer to really listen to what the artist and producer mixed and mastered in the studio. What they intended for you to listen... these are it. Sure there are pieces of music which were poorly recorded and could use a little tuning. There’s an option for that. Just download that music to your device and EQ it through the app. Not my thing.

B&W, Dali, Bose, B&O, Sennheiser, Audeze, Sony... these guys have been in the forefront of audio products and music production for x years. And then Shure, after making some of the best products in the industry, including microphones and headphones, they spend two and a half years developing a product so they can get into this niche we’re all raving about. What did you expect? Are all of the aspects of these 5 stars, maybe not, but they are darn good. If I wanted better, sound at least, I wouldn’t look in the Bluetooth realm.

The ANC is there. The fairly loud TV and the less modern A/C in the living room all disappeared. When listening to music, of course, not while silent, these aren’t mufflers. It may not be XM3 or NC700 grade but all is well rewarded elsewhere. To me they are super comfortable and the build quality is really seen and felt. No creaks or cracks. You can feel their weight but it’s evenly distributed in the pleasantly low clamping force and the pads are soft and cushiony, with a fair amount of passive isolation, so I forget about it. I have bigger ears and they fit the cups only slightly touching the edge sometimes, again forgettable. They may warm up a bit but I have a shaved head and I usually run very warm anyway so everything I throw on my noggin will get warmer, leather or pleather. Seriously, I’ve only felt discomfort in 34ºC, because it was basically hot out in Lisbon. Battery life hasn’t been an issue. I haven’t travelled with them, I wish I could say I had because that would mean we were living in better times, but 20 hrs seems more than enough for any trip, maybe even a round trip.
I absolutely relate to @angelom’s appreciation of the volume increases in smaller steps. I love it too. They don’t have touch pads but physical buttons. They don’t have play/pause sensors, so no gimmicks that sometimes might fail. The multi-point connection works fine. I’ve tested calls and summoning Siri, all fine. No lag while watching video, whatsoever. They are robust and very well built. The case is a bit big, also because of the way the fold, but I have good backpacks and I would never throw them in there without the case anyway, so I just have to live with it. And I like all that.

But the the sound... ah, the sound. That you will not forget.

Fast forward to today. A week later after I wrote the first part of this, I’ve definitely had more listening time. It now been two weeks and I’m listening to Lupe Fiasco and Led Zeppelin and Massive Attack and Brad Mehldau and Bad Religion and The Jam and Tom Jobim and Interpol and Kendrick Lamar and Miles Davis and Tenderlonious and The Slackers and DJ Cam and The Raconteurs and Me’Shell Ndegéocello... (). And many hours listening to many others also in this amazing, ever growing playlist. And they all sound amazing. The bass is definitely there when it’s there, not emphasized but firm and full. The mids are very, very detailed and present. The highs are defined and crisp, but never harsh. These headphones are accurate! The snare, the cymbals, the hi-hats, the toms, the kick, the double bass, the bass, the guitars, the violins, the trumpets, the sax, the trombones, all kinds of computer beats and all kinds of vocals... are ALL there. The soundstage is very wide and the stereo imaging is on point, all angles. Instrument separation is extremely clear. Like the artists intended, at least to my ears.

I’m not gonna write about EQ or file formats or codecs or passive/active cabling. I’ve only used these with my iPhone and iPad, wirelessly, listening to Spotify (on “very high” quality). I might try Tidal for the extra resolution but the now even more sectarian distribution of music and tv content in more than 10 subscriptions available on the market (on top of your cable/internet bill) is pissing me off. So I limit these to a fair minimum.

One thing that few people talk about, understandably because of some subjectiveness, is dynamics, tonality, musicality. These have 50mm drivers tuned by Shure, the brand who sold half of the microphones and ear monitors to the bands we all listen to, what did you expect?
There are others in this niche with highs and lows in their presentations. Too many lows not beating their highs, for my liking. There are also a few others: Sony makes them, although famous, rattling and bass bloated. Dali and B&O makes them nice, although not overall nice, and with round cups, for those humans with round ears... Audeze makes them good, in the wired models or if you’re a gamer. Bose also makes them good, very good actually, when you use them mostly for work/calls and plane travel and still want some decent music. B&W comes closer but these are not speakers, these are headphones, they shouldn’t be tuned similarly. Sennheiser comes closest, they do, musicality and all, but I guess then it’s a matter of taste, in every detail and in the overall package. And then the Aonic 50 win. For me.

Are there better ones out there? Wired, for sure, Sennheisers or Grados or Audio Technicas or Beyerdynamics, maybe. In Bluetooth fashion, definitely not to my ears. For 320€ (MSRP 399€) could I ask for more? Probably, but they are awesome as is. Like I’ve said, I haven’t owned them all but I’ve tried and tested most. The Shure Aonic 50 are currently the best in this category, for me.

Cheers and I hope you all enjoy.

(Still have to read through the last three pages here, but I guess my opinion will probably not change)

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #447 of 1,309
They may warm up a bit but I have a shaved head and I usually run very warm anyway so everything I throw on my noggin will get warmer, leather or pleather. Seriously, I’ve only felt discomfort in 34ºC, because it was basically hot out in Lisbon.

Hello tiagopinto.

You're very lucky you can using the sa50 in 33ºC or similar temperature. For me in 26ºC is absolutely limit (I have thermometer in the room I listening usually) and this is only if I'm sitting and not moving at all, using the computer, etc. I trying one time hoovering with the sa50 in maybe 23ºC and very soon my ears starting sweating and I taking off quickly because if I'm moving and is very uncomfortable having hot and wet ears, my ears reacting quickly in the heat of my body. With the sennheiser m3 I think I can go 5ºC more (maybe 31ºC) and my ears getting hot, yes, but not sweating even in this temperature and isn't uncomfortable.

I'm happy you liking sa50 very much!

Aug 13, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #448 of 1,309
Hello tiagopinto.

You're very lucky you can using the sa50 in 33ºC or similar temperature. For me in 26ºC is absolutely limit (I have thermometer in the room I listening usually) and this is only if I'm sitting and not moving at all, using the computer, etc. I trying one time hoovering with the sa50 in maybe 23ºC and very soon my ears starting sweating and I taking off quickly because if I'm moving and is very uncomfortable having hot and wet ears, my ears reacting quickly in the heat of my body. With the sennheiser m3 I think I can go 5ºC more (maybe 31ºC) and my ears getting hot, yes, but not sweating even in this temperature and isn't uncomfortable.

I'm happy you liking sa50 very much!
Heat generation is often in part impacted by earpad material. Are there any aftermarket pads for the Aoinic 50 that preserve(or improve) the excellent sound but are better for heat and overall comfort?

Aug 13, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #449 of 1,309
Where did you get them for 320€? I can only find them for around 390€.

This was like a “flash sale” on amazon.es which I believe only lasted a few days. And it only happened with black and not the brown. Maybe an overstock or something. I guess I kept looking for a deal and got lucky. Hope you do too.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #450 of 1,309
Heat generation is often in part impacted by earpad material. Are there any aftermarket pads for the Aoinic 50 that preserve(or improve) the excellent sound but are better for heat and overall comfort?

Not yet. I did write to Shure and suggest they offer real leather pads and velour or alcantara pads. So it's worth writing to them and asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back