Shure AONIC 50 -
Aug 6, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #406 of 1,309
It sounds like The Correct Answer is to buy both the M3 and A50, eh? :dt880smile:

My A50s get here Saturday. I'll put em through the paces and post my thoughts. I'm not as educated/experienced as most of the people on this thread, but I'll be able to give my professional amateur opinion on the sound/etc.

I'll also be flying with them in a week. So I'll be able to give a good report on the ANC in that environment.

I'm legit tempted to buy the M3 too before I leave and try both. But that's like a whole separate suitcase just for headphones.

EDIT: Screw it. I bought the M3 too. I'll play around with both of 'em for a week before the flight and then can sell whichever pair I don't want on here for $350 and make most of the money back. I'm happy to post direct comparisons here if that would be of interest to people. I'm definitely not a pro-tier headphone reviewer, but I enjoy a lot of different music and like to think I can describe things well.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #407 of 1,309
Hey guys,
I'm still a huge fan of the A50, but portability bothers me a lot. I really love the sound of them tho. I also like the DALI sound, but they're very uncomfortable for me.
From research the Sennheiser M3 are an option, but I'm unsure about their sound. So, if I'm listening to piano music (solo and with orchestra) primarily, would the M3 be a good option? The A50 are awesome for that with all their well balanced clarity. My main fear is, that the M3 have too much bass.

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #408 of 1,309
Count me in as someone who's gone back to the Momentum 3 from the Shure Aonic 50. Mainly due to the more dynamic and exciting signature of the Momentum 3, but also because of the improved app and the ability to manage my bluetooth connections from the app, and the ability to EQ the Momentums via the app and have it save to the headphones.

As someone who's tried and owned all the major players, Bose N700, B&W PX7, Dali iO-6, Sony 1000XM3, Shure Aonic 50, NAD Viso HP70, and the Momentum 3, the Momentum 3 is my personal favorite sound signature out of all. Notice I didn't say best. That's because they're all different. The Shure and Dalis are the most neutral and analytical to my ears. The Shure is closer to studio headphones than the Dalis though as the Dalis have a slightly emphasized bass in comparison. Nothing on this list beats the excellent high and mid details of the Shure in my opinion. The Momentum 3 and PX7 are exciting, dynamic, big, and bold, although they do this in different ways. I call the Momentum 3 a modern audiophile headphone. Very detailed while not being harsh. Fairly neutral response with a bass boost. Excellent soundstage. The PX7 are like studio monitors for your ears. They have a unique sound signature unlike any on this list. Most either love them or hate them as they definitely present your music in a unique fashion and can make some tracks sound for lack of a better word, different. I LOVE them for movies and gaming. In my opinion, biggest soundstage on this list. The NADs are very smooth. Big treble roll off but still very detailed. Just a very pleasing signature to my ears. The Bose and Sony are my least favorite sound signature on this list. Bose falls into the category with the Dalis and Shures but are no where near as refined, detailed, or natural sounding. The Sonys are a fun headphone but muddier and less detailed than both the PX7 and Momentum. Let's just say it's less fun LOL.

As someone who's gone back and forth between all these headphones over the past many months, I've settled on the Momentums and PX7. It wasn't an easy choice, but they fit my needs better. I use the Momentums as my daily drivers. I work from home and they are my Office headphones for Music, TV, Movies, and Phone Calls. The PX7 are secondary. I use them in the evenings when movie watching or gaming, or when I'm in the mood for them musically. I personally like their unique presentation. I also grab the PX7 on the rare occasion I travel.

For those that are curious, here's how I'd rank all these:

Sound -
1a) Shure Aonic 50
1b) Sennheiser Momentum 3
3a) Dali iO-6
3b) B&W PX7
5) NAD Viso HP70
6) Bose N700
7) Sony 1000XM3

ANC -
1) Sony 1000XM3
2) Bose N700
3) B&W PX7
4) Sennheiser Momentum 3
5) NAD Viso HP70
6) Shure Aonic 50
7) Dali iO-6

Comfort -
1) Shure Aonic 50
2) Sony 1000XM3
3a) Bose N700
3b) Sennheiser Momentum 3
5) B&W PX7
6) Dali iO-6
7) NAD Viso HP70

Phone Calls -
1) Bose N700 (Best in the business)
2) Sennheiser Momentum 3
3) Shure Aonic 50
4) Dali iO-6
5) B&W PX7
6) NAD Viso HP70
7) Sony 1000XM3

Features/Convenience - (The biggest convenience feature for me is the ability to manage connected bluetooth devices via the app, that's why the Momentum and PX7 are my top two. Bose has this as well but Sony has a better EQ, Sound Optimizer, and quick attention so I put it ahead. The Momentum beats the PX7 because it has an EQ and the PX7 doesn't. I do LOVE that the PX7 can still be connected to my phone via Bluetooth while gaming on my Xbox1 or PX4. Makes it so I don't have to ignore phone calls. Haven't tested this with the Momentum)
1) Sennheiser Momentum 3
2) B&W PX7
3) Sony 1000XM3
4) Bose N700
5) Shure Aonic 50
* The Dali and NAD don't matter as neither has an app, can be updated, eq'd, etc.

Overall -
1) Sennheiser Momentum (If I could only own one wireless anc headphone this would be it. Excellent sound, great features, great comfort, excellent for phone calls and is the only one that comes close to the Bose in this category. You'd just need to purchase a 3rd party case if you planned on traveling with them)
2) Shure Aonic 50 (If I was a traveling musician or used my wireless anc headphones for critical listening, these would be it)
3) B&W PX7 (Excellent travel headphone, unique sound signature, great features)
4) Bose N700 (Although the sound quality is mediocre, I can't argue that these are the best travel headphones on this list. Especially if you are on the phone a lot or use your voice assistant. Light, portable, compact, excellent ANC, good features, and the best mic for phone calls in the business.)
5) Sony 1000XM3 (Second best travel headphone on this list)
6) Dali iO-6 (I really loved the sound signature on these, however, they don't seal well which makes the sound without ANC enabled VERY inconsistent. Not enough modern features to compete with the rest
7) NAD Viso HP70

This is very good post, with good comparisons and advices for different circumstances.

Is important remembering too that from your list the momentum 3 is the only headphone with leather ear pads and headband (b&o h9 too), and this aspect is very important for me and maybe for other people. I don't know if viso hp70 having leather ear pads because is the only headphone in your list I never trying.

Hey guys,
I'm still a huge fan of the A50, but portability bothers me a lot. I really love the sound of them tho. I also like the DALI sound, but they're very uncomfortable for me.
From research the Sennheiser M3 are an option, but I'm unsure about their sound. So, if I'm listening to piano music (solo and with orchestra) primarily, would the M3 be a good option? The A50 are awesome for that with all their well balanced clarity. My main fear is, that the M3 have too much bass.

The new eq of the m3 isn't perfect like I saying before but is much improvement than the previous strange and bad eq. If more reference sound is important, the new eq is helping going more close to this than before. With sony xm3 I can never really using the eq for improving the sound like I can with momentum 3 because momentum 3 is having better factory sound from beginning.

Yes, the m3 having more bass than sa50 definitely but is bass that isn't ruining the music like sony xm3 that making music sounding muddy often, and momentum 3 bass is reaching very low frequencies too when is necessary. The mids and treble in m3 isn't so excellent like sa50 but is still very, very good. (I never liking momentum 1 or 2, by the way, the tuning always sounding wrong for me).

If you have opportunity for testing the m3, I think is important you trying the new eq too.

Aug 7, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #409 of 1,309
Count me in as someone who's gone back to the Momentum 3 from the Shure Aonic 50. Mainly due to the more dynamic and exciting signature of the Momentum 3, but also because of the improved app and the ability to manage my bluetooth connections from the app, and the ability to EQ the Momentums via the app and have it save to the headphones.

As someone who's tried and owned all the major players, Bose N700, B&W PX7, Dali iO-6, Sony 1000XM3, Shure Aonic 50, NAD Viso HP70, and the Momentum 3, the Momentum 3 is my personal favorite sound signature out of all. Notice I didn't say best. That's because they're all different. The Shure and Dalis are the most neutral and analytical to my ears. The Shure is closer to studio headphones than the Dalis though as the Dalis have a slightly emphasized bass in comparison. Nothing on this list beats the excellent high and mid details of the Shure in my opinion. The Momentum 3 and PX7 are exciting, dynamic, big, and bold, although they do this in different ways. I call the Momentum 3 a modern audiophile headphone. Very detailed while not being harsh. Fairly neutral response with a bass boost. Excellent soundstage. The PX7 are like studio monitors for your ears. They have a unique sound signature unlike any on this list. Most either love them or hate them as they definitely present your music in a unique fashion and can make some tracks sound for lack of a better word, different. I LOVE them for movies and gaming. In my opinion, biggest soundstage on this list. The NADs are very smooth. Big treble roll off but still very detailed. Just a very pleasing signature to my ears. The Bose and Sony are my least favorite sound signature on this list. Bose falls into the category with the Dalis and Shures but are no where near as refined, detailed, or natural sounding. The Sonys are a fun headphone but muddier and less detailed than both the PX7 and Momentum. Let's just say it's less fun LOL.

As someone who's gone back and forth between all these headphones over the past many months, I've settled on the Momentums and PX7. It wasn't an easy choice, but they fit my needs better. I use the Momentums as my daily drivers. I work from home and they are my Office headphones for Music, TV, Movies, and Phone Calls. The PX7 are secondary. I use them in the evenings when movie watching or gaming, or when I'm in the mood for them musically. I personally like their unique presentation. I also grab the PX7 on the rare occasion I travel.

For those that are curious, here's how I'd rank all these:

Sound -
1a) Shure Aonic 50
1b) Sennheiser Momentum 3
3a) Dali iO-6
3b) B&W PX7
5) NAD Viso HP70
6) Bose N700
7) Sony 1000XM3

ANC -
1) Sony 1000XM3
2) Bose N700
3) B&W PX7
4) Sennheiser Momentum 3
5) NAD Viso HP70
6) Shure Aonic 50
7) Dali iO-6

Comfort -
1) Shure Aonic 50
2) Sony 1000XM3
3a) Bose N700
3b) Sennheiser Momentum 3
5) B&W PX7
6) Dali iO-6
7) NAD Viso HP70

Phone Calls -
1) Bose N700 (Best in the business)
2) Sennheiser Momentum 3
3) Shure Aonic 50
4) Dali iO-6
5) B&W PX7
6) NAD Viso HP70
7) Sony 1000XM3

Features/Convenience - (The biggest convenience feature for me is the ability to manage connected bluetooth devices via the app, that's why the Momentum and PX7 are my top two. Bose has this as well but Sony has a better EQ, Sound Optimizer, and quick attention so I put it ahead. The Momentum beats the PX7 because it has an EQ and the PX7 doesn't. I do LOVE that the PX7 can still be connected to my phone via Bluetooth while gaming on my Xbox1 or PX4. Makes it so I don't have to ignore phone calls. Haven't tested this with the Momentum)
1) Sennheiser Momentum 3
2) B&W PX7
3) Sony 1000XM3
4) Bose N700
5) Shure Aonic 50
* The Dali and NAD don't matter as neither has an app, can be updated, eq'd, etc.

Overall -
1) Sennheiser Momentum (If I could only own one wireless anc headphone this would be it. Excellent sound, great features, great comfort, excellent for phone calls and is the only one that comes close to the Bose in this category. You'd just need to purchase a 3rd party case if you planned on traveling with them)
2) Shure Aonic 50 (If I was a traveling musician or used my wireless anc headphones for critical listening, these would be it)
3) B&W PX7 (Excellent travel headphone, unique sound signature, great features)
4) Bose N700 (Although the sound quality is mediocre, I can't argue that these are the best travel headphones on this list. Especially if you are on the phone a lot or use your voice assistant. Light, portable, compact, excellent ANC, good features, and the best mic for phone calls in the business.)
5) Sony 1000XM3 (Second best travel headphone on this list)
6) Dali iO-6 (I really loved the sound signature on these, however, they don't seal well which makes the sound without ANC enabled VERY inconsistent. Not enough modern features to compete with the rest
7) NAD Viso HP70
Great run-down of these headphones. The treble roll off you mention about the hp70 really bothered me at first, because imo the psb m4u 8 has clearer treble. But the HP70 really grew on me for it's consistency. I just really enjoy how it's tuned. i like my PX 7 for a lot of reasons, but for me it ranks lower in SQ than the HP70 because the DSP is to aggressively tuned. And it isn't as simple as something like saying, these just have to much bass or the mids are thin. this one is tricky for me to articulate. portions of the mids sound like they're being blocked by something, while others along side them sound great. I think this results at times in some weird sub bass that wouldn't be there if the mids were more evenly tuned. Also portions of the treble are wonky. The highest sections are over done, but it helps with clarity all throughout, and the lower treble is pulled back and at times, similar to portions of the mids, also sounds like it's being blocked by something. i do enjoy the PX7, But i think B&W got to cute or over thought it when they tuned these. For me, the Shures, M3 and HP70 all rank ahead of them in SQ. FWIW, don't know about the Dali's, but those aside, every headphone referenced in this post with the exception of the XM3 are multipoint capable. i have my HP70's paired with a bt transmitter connected to my jotunheim and paired with my phone, and when a call comes through they switch to the phone ringing and back to the music flawlessly. The M3 and Aonic 50 i have paired to each of my phones and they switch from music to one and calls on the other with no problem.

Aug 7, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #410 of 1,309
And it isn't as simple as something like saying, these just have to much bass or the mids are thin. this one is tricky for me to articulate. portions of the mids sound like they're being blocked by something, while others along side them sound great. I think this results at times in some weird sub bass that wouldn't be there if the mids were more evenly tuned. Also portions of the treble are wonky. The highest sections are over done, but it helps with clarity all throughout, and the lower treble is pulled back and at times, similar to portions of the mids, also sounds like it's being blocked by something. i do enjoy the PX7, But i think B&W got to cute or over thought it when they tuned these.

If we accept Rtings' measurements as rigorous enough to base a comparison on (they probably aren't) your difficulty to pinpoint the PX7's sound signature isn't surprising : it's peaks and valleys galore. All the more surprising given how pretty well they got the P7 and P7 wireless.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#1619/3992/348

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #411 of 1,309
Great run-down of these headphones. The treble roll off you mention about the hp70 really bothered me at first, because imo the psb m4u 8 has clearer treble. But the HP70 really grew on me for it's consistency. I just really enjoy how it's tuned. i like my PX 7 for a lot of reasons, but for me it ranks lower in SQ than the HP70 because the DSP is to aggressively tuned. And it isn't as simple as something like saying, these just have to much bass or the mids are thin. this one is tricky for me to articulate. portions of the mids sound like they're being blocked by something, while others along side them sound great. I think this results at times in some weird sub bass that wouldn't be there if the mids were more evenly tuned. Also portions of the treble are wonky. The highest sections are over done, but it helps with clarity all throughout, and the lower treble is pulled back and at times, similar to portions of the mids, also sounds like it's being blocked by something. i do enjoy the PX7, But i think B&W got to cute or over thought it when they tuned these. For me, the Shures, M3 and HP70 all rank ahead of them in SQ. FWIW, don't know about the Dali's, but those aside, every headphone referenced in this post with the exception of the XM3 are multipoint capable. i have my HP70's paired with a bt transmitter connected to my jotunheim and paired with my phone, and when a call comes through they switch to the phone ringing and back to the music flawlessly. The M3 and Aonic 50 i have paired to each of my phones and they switch from music to one and calls on the other with no problem.
Correct, every headphone on this list outside the XM3 can be connected to 2 devices at once. However, only 3 have a convenient way to manage those connections via their app. That's not a big deal to some, but for me it's HUGE. At any given moment I will connect my headphones to my iPhone, iPad Pro, MacBook Pro, Xfinity Box, AppleTV, or Creative Bluetooth Dongle for gaming. This can create major headaches without the ability to manage the connections. For example, let's say at night before bed I'm connected to my Xfinity Box and iPad. I wake up the next morning, go upstairs to my office, and turn on my headphones. My headphones remember that I last connected to my Xfinity Box and iPad. Problem is, I now want to connect to my iPhone and MacBook Pro. So I now have to enter pairing mode, connect to my iPhone, the headphones will auto connect to my Xfinity Box or iPad depending on the last one used, both of which are downstairs. Now I either have to play something on my iPhone so that the headphones remember it as the last used device, enter pairing mode AGAIN, and connect to my MacBook Pro, or, go downstairs, turn on my TV, go to settings, and disconnect the headphones from my Xfinity Box. Major Headache. With the Momentums, PX7, and Bose, I can just go to the App and disconnect the Xfinity Box and iPad, and connect to the iPhone and MacBook Pro. This is BIG for me.

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #412 of 1,309
Correct, every headphone on this list outside the XM3 can be connected to 2 devices at once. However, only 3 have a convenient way to manage those connections via their app. That's not a big deal to some, but for me it's HUGE. At any given moment I will connect my headphones to my iPhone, iPad Pro, MacBook Pro, Xfinity Box, AppleTV, or Creative Bluetooth Dongle for gaming. This can create major headaches without the ability to manage the connections. For example, let's say at night before bed I'm connected to my Xfinity Box and iPad. I wake up the next morning, go upstairs to my office, and turn on my headphones. My headphones remember that I last connected to my Xfinity Box and iPad. Problem is, I now want to connect to my iPhone and MacBook Pro. So I now have to enter pairing mode, connect to my iPhone, the headphones will auto connect to my Xfinity Box or iPad depending on the last one used, both of which are downstairs. Now I either have to play something on my iPhone so that the headphones remember it as the last used device, enter pairing mode AGAIN, and connect to my MacBook Pro, or, go downstairs, turn on my TV, go to settings, and disconnect the headphones from my Xfinity Box. Major Headache. With the Momentums, PX7, and Bose, I can just go to the App and disconnect the Xfinity Box and iPad, and connect to the iPhone and MacBook Pro. This is BIG for me.
totally get that. Sounds like a major headache. just as a nice backup, i wish all headphones would allow you to switch between connected devices via the headphone like you can with the qc35 and posibly the nc 700 but never used the nc700.

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #413 of 1,309
First Impressions. Listening with LDAC 96khz / 32 bits / 660kbps on a Pixel 4 XL.
  • Does have a bit of a weird smell. It's the case, not the headphones. It's not overpowering and is dissipating quickly.
  • Case is definitely not going to fit in your pocket.
  • Ear pads definitely aren't gonna be great for bigger ears. I've got pretty decent sized ears, not huge. Definitely feels more cramped in there than I'd like but we'll see.
  • The faux leather definitely doesn't smell as nice as real leather. I wouldn't smell it for fun, but it's not offensive.
  • I've got a pretty big head. These things definitely got some pressure on my earballs. Faux leather is definitely a little bit sweaty, but not crazy. I'm not a sweaty person though.
  • Max definitely generates some ear pressure. First time using ANC. Kinda weird. Feel like I have to pop my ears. I feel like the ear pressure is something I'd adjust to?
  • Did not need app to connect headphones. Do need app for firmware update, of course.
  • Pressure in ears is much less noticeable when music is playing. Or maybe I'm placeboing myself. It's definitely still there.
  • There's definitely something weird about enabling/disabling ANC and volume. If it's set to normal and you turn it on no real volume change. but if it's set to max and you turn it on, volume spikes up. If you switch to normal without disabling ANC it stays the same volume. But if you turn off ANC, volume drops. Then when you switch it back on (with set to normal) no change in volume. If you change from normal to max without turning off ANC, no volume change. I doubt this is as intended but IANAE. Listening to them on max with ANC on after the volume gets boosted is probably too loud for healthy listening.
  • There might also be a bass boost going on along with this volume bump?
  • They sound pretty friggin awesome. Definitely don't feel like the bass is lacking in some of my favorite techno/house tracks. The 1975 and Gunship also sound awesome. Great vocals.

Still in early stages of playing around with them. The M3s will be here tomorrow. If they sound "better" than these I'd be pretty damn impressed.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #414 of 1,309
First Impressions. Listening with LDAC 96khz / 32 bits / 660kbps.

Still in early stages of playing around with them. The M3s will be here tomorrow. If they sound "better" than these I'd be pretty damn impressed.
Thanks man.

How do you know that it's running at 660? Forced it, or found a way to measure which adaptive mode is running?

Looking forward to your A50 vs M3 comparison. Also thinking of giving the M3 a try. Mostly due to portability reasons.

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #415 of 1,309
Thanks man.

How do you know that it's running at 660? Forced it, or found a way to measure which adaptive mode is running?

Looking forward to your A50 vs M3 comparison. Also thinking of giving the M3 a try. Mostly due to portability reasons.

I forced it in developer options. I don't know of any way to measure it...if that's a thing let me know haha. I definitely notice some changes in the sound/volume when I change the sample rate/bit rate/etc so I'm pretty sure it's doing stuff. 990kbps actually seems to work fine.

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #417 of 1,309
As a pretty avid techno/house fan and a bit of Club Kid, I can 100% confirm that anyone telling you the A50s are lacking in bass is pretty high on something. The bass on these things is great. Angelom's previous descriptions of it are spot on.

Passive noise isolation is pretty great. I don't think there's a lot of leakage going on but I'll confirm that when I have someone around me.

The ANC even at Max seems...not as good as it could be? But these are supposed to really shine for bass/sub bass like on an airplane. And that's honestly the use case I really care about it. I also don't really have a reference point except for using some Airpod Pros on a plane once.

Also the heat buildup on my ears really isn't that bad. I feel like my skin adapted after an hour or two. There's definitely a temperature increase (obviously), but it's not causing me to sweat badly or anything.

Definitely some fatigue after a few hours of listening. You're not going to forget you're wearing these things, but that's to be expected.

EDIT: To further clarify the bass. I'm the guy at the club/festival wearing nice earplugs because I don't want to go deaf. Also I like hearing things going on in the music other than WHOMMMMMPPPPP. At a concert with earplugs, you can hear a lot more of what's going on and still get the bass rumble in your chest.

You're never going to get a bass rumble in your chest with headphones, and I think a lot of the times people are seeking to replicate that by rattling their skull, but that's not really my thing. The bass is snappy on these and you can clearly hear everything else going on. It's pretty sweet. I am, however, excited to compare it to the heavier bass of the M3 and see what I think.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #418 of 1,309
First Impressions. Listening with LDAC 96khz / 32 bits / 660kbps on a Pixel 4 XL.
  • Does have a bit of a weird smell. It's the case, not the headphones. It's not overpowering and is dissipating quickly.
  • Case is definitely not going to fit in your pocket.
  • Ear pads definitely aren't gonna be great for bigger ears. I've got pretty decent sized ears, not huge. Definitely feels more cramped in there than I'd like but we'll see.
  • The faux leather definitely doesn't smell as nice as real leather. I wouldn't smell it for fun, but it's not offensive.
  • I've got a pretty big head. These things definitely got some pressure on my earballs. Faux leather is definitely a little bit sweaty, but not crazy. I'm not a sweaty person though.
  • Max definitely generates some ear pressure. First time using ANC. Kinda weird. Feel like I have to pop my ears. I feel like the ear pressure is something I'd adjust to?
  • Did not need app to connect headphones. Do need app for firmware update, of course.
  • Pressure in ears is much less noticeable when music is playing. Or maybe I'm placeboing myself. It's definitely still there.
  • There's definitely something weird about enabling/disabling ANC and volume. If it's set to normal and you turn it on no real volume change. but if it's set to max and you turn it on, volume spikes up. If you switch to normal without disabling ANC it stays the same volume. But if you turn off ANC, volume drops. Then when you switch it back on (with set to normal) no change in volume. If you change from normal to max without turning off ANC, no volume change. I doubt this is as intended but IANAE. Listening to them on max with ANC on after the volume gets boosted is probably too loud for healthy listening.
  • There might also be a bass boost going on along with this volume bump?
  • They sound pretty friggin awesome. Definitely don't feel like the bass is lacking in some of my favorite techno/house tracks. The 1975 and Gunship also sound awesome. Great vocals.

Ah, we share the same opinion about the fit of this headphone. People with a big head like us will definitely feel a somewhat intense clamping pressure when we first put it on. Put this on for about half an hour. When the earpads warm-up, they soften quite a bit and ease the clamping pressure by quite a lot.

I agree about the weird ANC behaviour when we set it to Max. I guess since the ANC is pretty weak, it needs to crank up the volume to give us a placebo effect that it drowns a lot of surrounding noises (HAHA)

Aug 7, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #419 of 1,309
Ah, we share the same opinion about the fit of this headphone. People with a big head like us will definitely feel a somewhat intense clamping pressure when we first put it on. Put this on for about half an hour. When the earpads warm-up, they soften quite a bit and ease the clamping pressure by quite a lot.

I agree about the weird ANC behaviour when we set it to Max. I guess since the ANC is pretty weak, it needs to crank up the volume to give us a placebo effect that it drowns a lot of surrounding noises (HAHA)

Honestly, I didn't think about that, but you're probably right about the ANC haha. Honestly though, best way to test it would be to get on an airplane, because volume doesn't usually drown out that sound.

I've gotta stop posting on here or I'm gonna end up bringing both headsets on the plane to do an A/B test. :dt880smile:

EDIT: So yeah, I'm gonna say that turning ANC on max functionally acts as a bass boost on these things. Also, I forgot how much DNB is.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #420 of 1,309
As a pretty avid techno/house fan and a bit of Club Kid, I can 100% confirm that anyone telling you the A50s are lacking in bass is pretty high on something. The bass on these things is great. Angelom's previous descriptions of it are spot on.

Passive noise isolation is pretty great. I don't think there's a lot of leakage going on but I'll confirm that when I have someone around me.

The ANC even at Max seems...not as good as it could be? But these are supposed to really shine for bass/sub bass like on an airplane. And that's honestly the use case I really care about it. I also don't really have a reference point except for using some Airpod Pros on a plane once.

Also the heat buildup on my ears really isn't that bad. I feel like my skin adapted after an hour or two. There's definitely a temperature increase (obviously), but it's not causing me to sweat badly or anything.

Definitely some fatigue after a few hours of listening. You're not going to forget you're wearing these things, but that's to be expected.
YES!!! It puzzles me every time someone says the bass on A50 is lacking. It is quite punchy (though not head rattling). But best of all, it is a super textured bass reproduction. Love it!!!

Yeah, the ANC on this is quite weak. But, I found it to be quite effective when you use it in conjunction with playing music. It definitely is not on the same level of XM3 or Bose.

Give yourself a few weeks to adapt to the fit of this headphone. I found it more and more comfortable these days to the point I can use it while concentrating at work. (and yes, the headband feels less tight now)

By the way, hope you enjoyed your comparison with M3. But you should have tried the M3 first, then the A50. Everything is just downhill after you get used to the sound of A50. (haha)
Plus, maybe it just me but the sliding mechanism of M3 was super annoying to me. You will never get the position of the earcups properly symmetric. Thus, one side of your head will always get more pressure than the other. Plus, for some M3 units, the headband is crooked pretty badly and the left slider is very loose. But I hope your unit is OK. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back