Shure AONIC 50 -
Aug 7, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #421 of 1,309
The A50 came in first and I couldn't bloody well wait a day! haha

For anyone seeking to avoid the rather substantial change in sound when activating ANC on Max....turn on ANC. Set to Normal in app. Turn off ANC. Turn back on. Then set to Max.

Basically if it starts off in normal then you change to max without turning off ANC, it doesn't do it. Very odd.

I wonder if this is a Feature or a Bug.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #423 of 1,309
Yes, the A50 aren't without bass. The best I can describe it is "precise". It's there if needed, and otherwise it's not.

The ANC Normal mode is indeed quite low. It's pretty much silent though. Can be used in a more or less silent environment, to get a bit more silence out of it.
The ANC Max does a really good job for low frequency noise (eg. bus, train, plain). Did only test that with music playing, cause I don't see a use case for ANC without music.
Compared to those "great" ANC headphones the A50 don't block higher frequencies (eg. voices) that well. Therefore some reviews talk their ANC performance to trash. My personal preference is the A50 ANC, because it helps to listen to music, but doesn't block the whole world around you. If you hate the world that much, just stay at home and listen to real headphones. :)

Aug 8, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #424 of 1,309
If we accept Rtings' measurements as rigorous enough to base a comparison on (they probably aren't) your difficulty to pinpoint the PX7's sound signature isn't surprising : it's peaks and valleys galore. All the more surprising given how pretty well they got the P7 and P7 wireless.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#1619/3992/348

I don't know about the rtings measurements for the px7 but I returning very quickly to b&w (free trying and returning option if you buying directly) because I often having problems with peaks in the treble and hollow mids. But Maukey is correct that this headphone can sounding big and exciting specially for the people who don't knowing very good sound, but for me this sound is frequently wrong with music.

The sound of px7 is big contrast with the sound of previous model (px) that is very dark! How, after the excellent p7 wireless, b&w producing first px and then px7?! And, too, the px and px7 don't having leather eardads like p7 wireless, and even if px7 is looking like is having good construction, I having feeling maybe is a problem in the future in this aspect.

Aug 8, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #425 of 1,309
M3 came in today. It's definitely gonna take a few days to decide on a pair. I'll post a more detailed/in depth writeup later, but suffice it to say that these are both phenomenal headphones and I can't really see anyone being unhappy with either of them.

Some initial notes/thoughts:
  • Music pauses when changing ANC mode on M3. Not a huge deal, but the A50 doesn't do that and I like that more. Probably only matters in this stage when I'm fiddling with things a lot though.
  • Completely different aesthetic from the A50. Both are cool. I got the Sandy White. The white looks more plasticky than I would like...the black version might hide that a little better? Overall the A50 definitely has a more "mature" aesthetic, but they both look pretty cool. I'd rock either one in public and feel cool doing it.
  • M3 is definitely more comfortable to wear. Quite a bit less head grip. The leather is very nice. It's also got more room inside the earpads. I have a huge head and decent-sized ears.
  • M3 is vastly more portable. I like the fold to turn off. Feels cool not having to press a button to turn on/off.
  • M3 seems to ignore any changes made to codec in Developer option. Always reverts back to AptX, 48khz/16 bit/best effort. I assume it's using AptX LL? Don't know how to check that. Anyone know?
  • The A50 does NOT do this and remembers the changes I make (and the music is briefly interrupted when changing anything, indicating the chagnes are doing something)
  • No AptX HD on M3 so you're capped at 352kbps. That's not relevant for 90% of the way I'll use these, which is streaming Spotify/SoundCloud but definitely something to consider. Both can be listened using a USB-C cable (AFAIK), so that would circumvent this. I have not listened via USB-C yet.
  • Not really sure how to best compare the ANC. Suggestions? They both seem to work plenty well enough around the house. I'm gonna end up taking both of these on the plane with me for Science, aren't I?
  • Sidebar: The A50 really does become a completely different headphone with that weird ANC Max volume/bass boost.

I'm doing my listening comparisons with ANC set to Normal on A50 and "No ear pressure" on the M3. All wireless at this point. Feels like the M3 gets a little bit louder overall, but that might just be the tuning/more bass/placebo. It's not a huge difference. I'm not adjusting the equalizer on either at this point. Soundscape is definitely bigger on the M3, but not vastly.

To talk about a specific example: The Who - Baba O'Riley. One of my all-time favorite songs. It sounds great on both, bass hits heavier on the M3, but we all know that. It sounds great on both, but to be honest...I think I prefer the A50.

If I was forced at gunpoint to choose a headphone right now...I'd probably choose the A50, but it's early stages and I can't point to why I'd make that choice. Might just be because I've listened to it more at this point.

I'm listening to stuff on Spotify Extra High. I'll probably pick up a Tidal 30 day trial to fiddle around with some higher fidelity stuff. Although that really only benefits the A50, since the M3 is capped at 352kbps over bluetooth, unless I seriously misunderstand audio codecs. :wink: Right now I'm primarily listening to some house/techno mixes that I'm reasonably confident are mixed/mastered well while I clean the house. I'm doing hour mixes and swapping back and forth between the two.

Honestly, I expected myself to like the M3 more, but at this point I'm inclined towards the A50.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #426 of 1,309
M3 is definitely more comfortable to wear. Quite a bit less head grip. The leather is very nice. It's also got more room inside the earpads. I have a huge head and decent-sized ears.
How are they compared heat wise on the ears?

M3 seems to ignore any changes made to codec in Developer option. Always reverts back to AptX, 48khz/16 bit/best effort. I assume it's using AptX LL? Don't know how to check that. Anyone know?
As far as I can tell, it ignores and reverts your decision if the target device (M3 in this case) doesn't support the the selected configuration.

Not really sure how to best compare the ANC. Suggestions? They both seem to work plenty well enough around the house. I'm gonna end up taking both of these on the plane with me for Science, aren't I?
Take it on bus/train. Way easier than plain.

Aug 8, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #427 of 1,309
To talk about a specific example: The Who - Baba O'Riley. One of my all-time favorite songs. It sounds great on both, bass hits heavier on the M3, but we all know that. It sounds great on both, but to be honest...I think I prefer the A50.

I don't know what version of 'Who's Next' album you having, but if you like this album very much, you MUST buying the "Mastered for iTunes" version in iTunes. If you don't know "Mastered for iTunes" albums, PLEASE look in google, is important the difference in many albums if you caring for good master recordings, even if is 'only' 256 kbps aac files.

You speaking of codecs in your post, Maybe you want looking this post of today in the m3 thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...-official-thread.915012/page-20#post-15790481

Aug 8, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #428 of 1,309
M3 came in today. It's definitely gonna take a few days to decide on a pair. I'll post a more detailed/in depth writeup later, but suffice it to say that these are both phenomenal headphones and I can't really see anyone being unhappy with either of them.

Some initial notes/thoughts:
  • Music pauses when changing ANC mode on M3. Not a huge deal, but the A50 doesn't do that and I like that more. Probably only matters in this stage when I'm fiddling with things a lot though.
  • Completely different aesthetic from the A50. Both are cool. I got the Sandy White. The white looks more plasticky than I would like...the black version might hide that a little better? Overall the A50 definitely has a more "mature" aesthetic, but they both look pretty cool. I'd rock either one in public and feel cool doing it.
  • M3 is definitely more comfortable to wear. Quite a bit less head grip. The leather is very nice. It's also got more room inside the earpads. I have a huge head and decent-sized ears.
  • M3 is vastly more portable. I like the fold to turn off. Feels cool not having to press a button to turn on/off.
  • M3 seems to ignore any changes made to codec in Developer option. Always reverts back to AptX, 48khz/16 bit/best effort. I assume it's using AptX LL? Don't know how to check that. Anyone know?
  • The A50 does NOT do this and remembers the changes I make (and the music is briefly interrupted when changing anything, indicating the chagnes are doing something)
  • No AptX HD on M3 so you're capped at 352kbps. That's not relevant for 90% of the way I'll use these, which is streaming Spotify/SoundCloud but definitely something to consider. Both can be listened using a USB-C cable (AFAIK), so that would circumvent this. I have not listened via USB-C yet.
  • Not really sure how to best compare the ANC. Suggestions? They both seem to work plenty well enough around the house. I'm gonna end up taking both of these on the plane with me for Science, aren't I?
  • Sidebar: The A50 really does become a completely different headphone with that weird ANC Max volume/bass boost.

I'm doing my listening comparisons with ANC set to Normal on A50 and "No ear pressure" on the M3. All wireless at this point. Feels like the M3 gets a little bit louder overall, but that might just be the tuning/more bass/placebo. It's not a huge difference. I'm not adjusting the equalizer on either at this point. Soundscape is definitely bigger on the M3, but not vastly.

If I was forced at gunpoint to choose a headphone right now...I'd probably choose the A50, but it's early stages and I can't point to why I'd make that choice. Might just be because I've listened to it more at this point.

I'm listening to stuff on Spotify Extra High. I'll probably pick up a Tidal 30 day trial to fiddle around with some higher fidelity stuff. Although that really only benefits the A50, since the M3 is capped at 352kbps over bluetooth, unless I seriously misunderstand audio codecs. :wink: Right now I'm primarily listening to some house/techno mixes that I'm reasonably confident are mixed/mastered well while I clean the house. I'm doing hour mixes and swapping back and forth between the two.

Honestly, I expected myself to like the M3 more, but at this point I'm inclined towards the A50.
The M3 supports SBC, AAC and APTX for audio, It does support APTX LL for syncing audio with video, but i don't know whether or not that helps with audio in general don't believe so. but point is, no need to mess with codecs with them if your phone uses APTX by default. Amazon music HD has some really great coppies of albums. just like with any streaming service, the quality of any recording can varry, but examples of some albums that sound much better over APTX on Amazon music HD vs Spotify are Irene by Medasin, Culcha Vulcha by Snarky puppy, Continuum by John mayer, Rhythm of the Saints by Paul Simon, Thrill of the Arts by Vulfpeck. I could list a ton others, i'll end with the title track of Glass animals new album Dreamland.

Aug 8, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #429 of 1,309
Am I just dumb or is the Sennheiser EQ really strange?

Like I move this little dot around and it does stuff, but I can't seem to get it do what I want.

The M3 supports SBC, AAC and APTX for audio, It does support APTX LL for syncing audio with video, but i don't know whether or not that helps with audio in general don't believe so. but point is, no need to mess with codecs with them if your phone uses APTX by default. Amazon music HD has some really great coppies of albums. just like with any streaming service, the quality of any recording can varry, but examples of some albums that sound much better over APTX on Amazon music HD vs Spotify are Irene by Medasin, Culcha Vulcha by Snarky puppy, Continuum by John mayer, Rhythm of the Saints by Paul Simon, Thrill of the Arts by Vulfpeck. I could list a ton others, i'll end with the title track of Glass animals new album Dreamland.

You da man, thank you!

Aug 8, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #430 of 1,309
Am I just dumb or is the Sennheiser EQ really strange?

Like I move this little dot around and it does stuff, but I can't seem to get it do what I want.

You da man, thank you!
no problem. AS for the eq on the M3, strange is putting it nicely. you aren't dumb, the dot eq is dumb. you gotta drag it where you want then immediately let up on it so it doesn't go back to where it was previously.
However, theres an update i haven't done it yet but others have, where you can have more control over the bass, mids and highs. Super basic, but better than the dot eq. that said, i have been able to get a sound from the dot eq that i like on my m3, MTW1 and MTW2. but i'll be doing that update soon.

Aug 8, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #431 of 1,309
no problem. AS for the eq on the M3, strange is putting it nicely. you aren't dumb, the dot eq is dumb. you gotta drag it where you want then immediately let up on it so it doesn't go back to where it was previously.
However, theres an update i haven't done it yet but others have, where you can have more control over the bass, mids and highs. Super basic, but better than the dot eq. that said, i have been able to get a sound from the dot eq that i like on my m3, MTW1 and MTW2. but i'll be doing that update soon.

How do I get this update? I'm on the latest firmware + app version AFAIK.

Enable beta version in app store for Sennheiser app?

EDIT: Unless it's the very basic three sliders on the other tab that you're referring to.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #432 of 1,309
How do I get this update? I'm on the latest firmware + app version AFAIK.

Enable beta version in app store for Sennheiser app?

EDIT: Unless it's the very basic three sliders on the other tab that you're referring to.

Comparisons with other brands are fine, but could your otherwise please keep focus on the Shure Aonic 50 within this thread :)

Aug 8, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #433 of 1,309
Comparisons with other brands are fine, but could your otherwise please keep focus on the Shure Aonic 50 within this thread :)

Of course. My bad on that, I got a little sidetracked.

I think the A50s might be better, folks. I've been hotswapping them back and forth, and I definitely find myself favoring the Shures. I'm listening to house with some thumping bass + female vocals. The M3 hits a little harder but the vocals sound better on the A50 and the bass still thumps.

There's a je ne sais quoi that the A50 has that the Sennheiser doesn't, though they both sound awesome.

The Sennheisers are definitely more comfortable though. And when I want to dance around, they are more fun. For sitting/working/critical listening, I'd be inclined towards the A50.

Just kinda randomly doing stream of consciousness thoughts as I use both. Trying to think about the stuff I'd like to hear if I was trying to decide between the two. Hope my rambling is useful to someone. I'll compose a proper comparison/review of both sometime next week. :gs1000smile:

EDIT: Also, the M3 detects when I move the right earphone back off my ear and stops the music, which is pretty nifty.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #434 of 1,309

Yes, this is the new eq that is better than the terrible dot eq (only option before). If you know how to using eq (isn't so easy as people usually thinking), this is really important improvement.

(Sorry WDitters)

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #435 of 1,309
Maybe a weird question. But this came up once in a while at my process of finding ANC headphones.

So, I don't like heat around my ears (over-ears in the summer) but I also don't like things inside my ears (in-ears).
Does this limit my options to on-ears only?

Posting this here, because I'm still between the A50 and M3. And it's freaking hot in germany right now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back