Shure AONIC 50 -
Aug 1, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #376 of 1,309
It's probably helpful to all of us if we contact Shure with suggestions for firmware updates. I just asked for smaller volume jumps and a better equalizer with settings that can be saved to the headset and not be limited to the iOS app playing music. The former is something they ought to be able to do, but I suspect the latter just isn't possible.

And it would be nice to have different earpads available, with leather or alcantara, even if they reduce isolation or ANC levels as a result.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #377 of 1,309
It's probably helpful to all of us if we contact Shure with suggestions for firmware updates. I just asked for smaller volume jumps and a better equalizer with settings that can be saved to the headset and not be limited to the iOS app playing music. The former is something they ought to be able to do, but I suspect the latter just isn't possible.

And it would be nice to have different earpads available, with leather or alcantara, even if they reduce isolation or ANC levels as a result.

I'm 100% sure that shure is looking this thread, is obvious because head-fi is number 1 headphone website in the world. I don't knowing now but I think head-fi in the past having good relationship with shure because Jude doing review of different shure products.

The volume steps is a big important aspect for me and shure is ignoring this for some months. The physical volume buttons isn't correctly responding sufficient fast (maybe this isn't possible with firmware update unfortunately, I don't know) and this is strange and sometimes very frustrating for me.

The eq problem I don't knowing if possible solving with firmware update but is making BIG difference when is saving in the headphone or not. This is very good aspect with momentum 3 and sony xm3 (and and maybe other headphones).

Shure don't fixing in last update the REALLY terrible scrolling problem in the app if you having many artists/albums/songs. This isn't acceptable with serious audio company with much financial resources.

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #378 of 1,309
I don't want saying momentum 3 is better than sa50 in sound because I think with majority of the music isn't, but the momentum 3 with normal eq setting is sounding better with the beautiful performance of Mozart's Requiem (Kyrie) with Karl Böhn (in my opinion the best performance/edition of this oeuvre). The sound is big and with enveloping effect similar like when I seeing this live 25 years ago.

(sorry for maybe the irrelevant post)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #379 of 1,309
There are a few things that I actually dislike about it, but I feel the sound, for the type of product it is, is outstanding.

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #380 of 1,309
There are a few things that I actually dislike about it, but I feel the sound, for the type of product it is, is outstanding.

Very much so. Yes, I have some points I'd have preferred to be solved differently, but the sound is most definitely not one of them. I'm even considering to cancel my rider for the Drop Panda...

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #381 of 1,309
It is as good as the sound is I still will be getting a brand new pair of Empire Ears Odin’s as soon as they come out.

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #382 of 1,309
Personally I like using the HD600/HD650 as a reference as I know them well and as they have been widely measured by most websites. Even doing so it's important to adjust for the average perceived level of the headphones as most graphs are aligned somewhere in the mids (500hz or 1hz) on most websites' comparison tools (if they have one). If a pair of headphones have a strong but narrow dip or hump at exactly 1hz, and if that's the frequency at which the graphs are aligned, you won't get the full picture without mentally adjusting for it.

I'm leaning towards the SA50s for my first pair of serious wireless headphones and my most used and loved headphones over the years have actually been the HD600s, so I am quite interested in these comments above. If you or anyone else here can add any more subjective impressions that might compare the two headphones in terms of sound signature and quality, I would be grateful.

After reading through this highly informative thread, I have the sense that the SA50s are a closer match to myHD600s than the Momentum 3s (which would be another candidate)? If so, in other respects the SA50s have pretty much everything I'm looking for in terms of ANC, multipoint, codecs, style, leaving only a slight lingering concern for 'hot ears' and wanting confirmation that I am on the right track as far as tuning is concerned.

Aug 3, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #383 of 1,309

Shure does listen to email sent to them; we cannot presume any manufacturer reads forums like this one unless there's direct proof in the way of sponsored forums or direct replies. Here's their reply to my message sent via their website:

"Thank you for your interest in Shure products! I've forwarded your message to a product manager. While I cannot guarantee that they will change the design of the product, they do take this kind of feedback into account when designing new products."

Aug 3, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #384 of 1,309
Another Shure customer service reply - within hours - to a question about the cable:

"It should be fine to use a 2.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS cable with no risk of damage to the headphones. I'm not exactly sure why the 2.5mm TRRS plug was used, as there is no connection on the Sleeve of the 2.5mm jack as far as I know. The Sleeve of the 3.5mm plug connects to both the Ring 2 and Sleeve of the 2.5mm plug. We have received questions about using a "Bose-style" cable to make a wired connection to a smartphone (3.5 TRRS, integrated microphone, 2.5mm TRS) - this was reported to work fine."

I already have on hand this cable that I bought for my KEF M500 and was designed for the B&W P7, and which comes in different lengths:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MPQOBMA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits and works fine, but I haven't tried comparing it to the Shure cable or Bluetooth yet.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #385 of 1,309
The only quibble I have with the Apnic 50 controls would be the lack of track control.
The volume control on the BT2 also acts as a track forward/back selector on a long press.
I have zero clue as to why this wasn't "ported" over the the A50's

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #386 of 1,309
The only quibble I have with the Apnic 50 controls would be the lack of track control.
The volume control on the BT2 also acts as a track forward/back selector on a long press.
I have zero clue as to why this wasn't "ported" over the the A50's

The center button controls track. From user manual:

Play/Pause Press once
Next track Double press
Previous trackTriple press
Answer/End a callPress once
Decline a callPress and hold, 2 seconds
Activate voice assistantPress and hold, 2 seconds
Factory Reset
  1. Turn off the headphones and plug into a charger
  2. Press and hold, 7 seconds

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #389 of 1,309
That's too funny guys. I always get pisssed at family members who never read even a simple instruction and then bitch. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back