Shure AONIC 50 -
Jul 2, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #181 of 1,309
On Android it's possible to do it via the developer options.
Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options > Bluetooth audio codec

If you don't see the "developer options", google how to enable them. It's easy, so don't be afraid ;P.

I should have been more specific 😏.. On my Galaxy Note 10+ in Developer Options I do have the Bluetooth options that allow me to force the codec.. But unfortunately Samsung only offers APTX, not APTX-HD..

On my FiiO M15 however, I do have the Developer Options enabled but there are no Bluetooth settings in there, potentially due to it being an Android 7 device... The M15 however does support both APTX-HD and LDAC..

So I was hoping for a setting similar to FiiO NH3 NC that allows to enable/disable codecs individually on the cans itself..

Jul 2, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #182 of 1,309
I should have been more specific 😏.. On my Galaxy Note 10+ in Developer Options I do have the Bluetooth options that allow me to force the codec.. But unfortunately Samsung only offers APTX, not APTX-HD..

On my FiiO M15 however, I do have the Developer Options enabled but there are no Bluetooth settings in there, potentially due to it being an Android 7 device... The M15 however does support both APTX-HD and LDAC..

So I was hoping for a setting similar to FiiO NH3 NC that allows to enable/disable codecs individually on the cans itself..
I'm by no means a pro in that regard, but as far as I know that's just a software limitation. At least for LDAC I'm pretty sure. On my OnePlus 3 (which is quite old) there is pretty much everything except aptx LL support available. I'm running LineageOS 17.1 (Android 10) tho. It also has aptx LL support with an extra patch I think.

That might be an option to consider for the Galaxy Note.
I don't know the FiiO, but it seems to be an Android limitation. Doesn't make sense on such an expensive audio player tho.

While using the Shure's mostly every day now, I'm writing down whatever bothers me and I'll send that to Shure in a few days, since their support was and still is extremely helpful while figuring out problems. A suggestion to let the Shure app take control over codecs and their settings is on the list as well.

Jul 2, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #183 of 1,309
I'm by no means a pro in that regard, but as far as I know that's just a software limitation. At least for LDAC I'm pretty sure. On my OnePlus 3 (which is quite old) there is pretty much everything except aptx LL support available. I'm running LineageOS 17.1 (Android 10) tho. It also has aptx LL support with an extra patch I think.

That might be an option to consider for the Galaxy Note.
I don't know the FiiO, but it seems to be an Android limitation. Doesn't make sense on such an expensive audio player tho.

While using the Shure's mostly every day now, I'm writing down whatever bothers me and I'll send that to Shure in a few days, since their support was and still is extremely helpful while figuring out problems. A suggestion to let the Shure app take control over codecs and their settings is on the list as well.

I also commented to Shure already that I would like to see their ShurePlus app support Android 7. There are many DAPs out there that due to Exynos 7872 chipset limitations are stuck with Android 7. FiiO is not the only one who suffers from that limitation.. Ironically that Exynos 7872 chipset is fantastically suited for Digital Audio Players.

(One could of course wonder why one would want to use a $1399 DAP with wireless cans like the SA50, but in my case that's simply where I have all my offline music stored.. So while at home I typically use my wired Denon headphones but while travelling I typically use my wireless cans with it..).. All with the same source device...

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #184 of 1,309
I also commented to Shure already that I would like to see their ShurePlus app support Android 7. There are many DAPs out there that due to Exynos 7872 chipset limitations are stuck with Android 7. FiiO is not the only one who suffers from that limitation.. Ironically that Exynos 7872 chipset is fantastically suited for Digital Audio Players.

(One could of course wonder why one would want to use a $1399 DAP with wireless cans like the SA50, but in my case that's simply where I have all my offline music stored.. So while at home I typically use my wired Denon headphones but while travelling I typically use my wireless cans with it..).. All with the same source device...
Having as less devices as possible makes a lot of sense.

Btw, I saw that you have the Dali's in your list as well. Do you (or others) also have quite a lot of cabin pressure even when using them without ANC?
Their clamping force is quite high, but since they really need that tight seal to perform their best, I think that's intended.

I will post more of my comparison soon.

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #185 of 1,309
Having as less devices as possible makes a lot of sense.

Btw, I saw that you have the Dali's in your list as well. Do you (or others) also have quite a lot of cabin pressure even when using them without ANC?
Their clamping force is quite high, but since they really need that tight seal to perform their best, I think that's intended.

I will post more of my comparison soon.

No cabin pressure whatsoever with the DALI.. So far I really enjoyed them while flying, more than the XM3 or PX7... Am really curious how the Shure will hold up when I fly to Munich end of July

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #186 of 1,309
No cabin pressure whatsoever with the DALI.. So far I really enjoyed them while flying, more than the XM3 or PX7... Am really curious how the Shure will hold up when I fly to Munich end of July
Weird. Overall the Dali's feel like a "first try", what they actually are. By no means bad tho.

It's also my 3rd pair already, because I had 2 faulty ones with the crackling on the left ear cup. And even this one has slight crackles and a slight hiss when turned on.

Also that soft-switch problem with the on/off switch. Any idea if the Shure ANC/Env mode switch is a soft-switch?

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #187 of 1,309
Also that soft-switch problem with the on/off switch. Any idea if the Shure ANC/Env mode switch is a soft-switch?

The ANC/Env mode switch feels as hardware switch as it gets.. No soft switch circuitry in that slider is my gut feeling

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #188 of 1,309
The ANC/Env mode switch feels as hardware switch as it gets.. No soft switch circuitry in that slider is my gut feeling
Ok, thanks a lot. That was my feeling as well. Will double check with the Shure support when I send them my impressions list.
Mabye just luck, but the support guy I'm writing to is epic.

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #189 of 1,309
On Android it's possible to do it via the developer options.
Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options > Bluetooth audio codec

If you don't see the "developer options", google how to enable them. It's easy, so don't be afraid ;P.
Hey you know what? Thanks to your "reminder" of this Developer options, I managed to tweak the Bluetooth setting to play LDAC without the "fuzzy" audio! And after playing with the options - codec, sampling rate, bits per sample, playback quality, etc. it appears the "bug" is on the audio sample rate.

Somehow when selecting the standard "HD audio" mode in Bluetooth setting, the codec is enabled all the way to the max - 96kHz, 24-bit. This resulted in the high-frequency distortion.

Once I changed the sampling rate to 48kHz and below, the distortion is gone. GONE!!!!!

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #190 of 1,309
Hey you know what? Thanks to your "reminder" of this Developer options, I managed to tweak the Bluetooth setting to play LDAC without the "fuzzy" audio! And after playing with the options - codec, sampling rate, bits per sample, playback quality, etc. it appears the "bug" is on the audio sample rate.
only
Somehow when selecting the standard "HD audio" mode in Bluetooth setting, the codec is enabled all the way to the max - 96kHz, 24-bit. This resulted in the high-frequency distortion.

Once I changed the sampling rate to 48kHz and below, the distortion is gone. GONE!!!!!
You're right. I also had a dig into that before:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-aonic-50.931134/page-10#post-15687631

Good news are, Shure is working on it.

Jul 3, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #192 of 1,309
Will try it later. I know the piece well. My ex - although in all other ways a witch - was a wonderful pianist and a Chopin freak....
They didn't mention that. But from what I heard from other people my guess is, that it's only for Android playing via LDAC and 96kHz sample rate (LDAC default).

Good to hear, that there was no success for you xd.
You can use this one to test. At about 3min it's pretty horrible. Way more distortion than on my CD flac file (of the same piece).

Finally got round to testing this, sounded OK to these old ears. Either I got lucky or my hearing is even more impaired than I thought....

Bought Rubenstein's Chopin Piano Concertos 1 & 2 from HDtracks this week. Awesome.

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #193 of 1,309
Finally got round to testing this, sounded OK to these old ears. Either I got lucky or my hearing is even more impaired than I thought....

Bought Rubenstein's Chopin Piano Concertos 1 & 2 from HDtracks this week. Awesome.
It only happens in combination with specific devices. My guess is Android phones.
Shure is working on it tho.

EDIT: Try Seong-Jin Cho for strong Chopin as well.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #195 of 1,309

Users who are viewing this thread

Back