Shure AONIC 50 -
Jul 25, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #331 of 1,309
Does anyone know where to get the replacement earpads for SA50 (if they exist)? They are too stiff to distribute clamping pressure nicely, get warm up very quicky, and have this unpleasant 'rubbery' feel on your skin. If only the padding 'feel' is like in beoplay H9.......

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #332 of 1,309
Does anyone know where to get placement earpads for SA50 (if they exist)? They are too stiff to distribute clamping pressure nicely, get warp up very quicky, and have this unpleasant 'rubbery' feel on your skin. If only the padding 'feel' is like in beoplay H9.......

I did not examine the pads closely, took them off just once to look at the driver... but given their mounting mechanism I doubt any third party pads will fit. Just thought it might be possible to separate the pads themselves from the mounting plates (the part that makes connection to the grooves on the headphone itself) and install other pads to these plates... size looks quite similar to other Shure models.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #335 of 1,309
My AONIC 50 was delivered today. The Bluetooth pairings with my Mac, iPhone, AppleTV, and Sony WM1A were instantaneous. The firmware update via the Shure app was also immediate in starting and took about 15 minutes via a gigabit connection. I was able to set the Mac to use AptX codec, too, and not just AAC; the WM1A uses LDAC. So far, so good...

The heat/sweat factor of the pads is reduced by the fabric inner face of the pads, by the grill cover over the drivers. These are very comfortable; as others have said, the weight isn't noticeable and the pad openings are pretty big.

I'm going to let them break-in for a couple of days, via the wired connection.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #338 of 1,309
Jul 30, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #339 of 1,309
+1.

Another rtings review, another mixed bag of interesting graphs and wacky conclusions. I appreciate their sponsor-free, data-first approach but I do not find the majority of their discrete measurements (and ultimate scores) to actually represent much about using the product.

Anyway the Aonic’s bass does not sound boomy to me, and I strongly disagree that the XM3 presents a “more consistent, well-balanced default listening experience” comparatively.

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #341 of 1,309
They had ANC on Max, and BT 4 and not 5. Might account for some of the issues.

Doesn't sound like what I'm hearing. And I did listen to the Sony XM3 when it first came out; the dead silence on ANC was impressive, but the wooly and elevated bass response was obvious and a reason to stay away.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #342 of 1,309
Jul 30, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #343 of 1,309
Anyway the Aonic’s bass does not sound boomy to me, and I strongly disagree that the XM3 presents a “more consistent, well-balanced default listening experience” comparatively.

When I read rtings.com review, these 2 comments also stood out to me as being completely different than my experience or my liking.

rtings.com review is not consistent.
  • This is what it says about Sony XM3: "The Sony WH-1000XM3's sound profile is overall bass-heavy, while the treble lacks detail."
  • Then on A50 comparison to Sony XM3, it says: "The Sony WH-1000XM3 Wireless are better headphones for mixed usage than the Shure AONIC 50 Wireless." "They also provide a more consistent, well-balanced default listening experience"
I agree XM3 is bass-heavy. In fact, I find XM3 bass boomy and overdone. Whereas A50 bass is not boomy to me. Because XM3 is bass-heavy, XM3 is not more balance and not better for mixed usage (like listening to all different genres of music).

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #344 of 1,309
I have used Aonic 50 on handful of phone calls. Here is a negative feedback. The other day, I was outside walking and doing a call. There were some road traffic. Caller on the other side asked me where I was. He said I sounded like I'm on a train going thru a tunnel.

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #345 of 1,309

Users who are viewing this thread

Back