Shure AONIC 50 -
Jul 21, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #318 of 1,309
I was actually thinking of getting one of these. But the weight....... I am sure it will break my neck. You find the overall comfort tolerable?

Yes, they are quite comfortable to me. The pad openings are a rather tight fit for my ears, but it works. They have the advantage of depth, clamping force is well balanced, headband cushioning feels good. So yes, despite their weight the Club One is comfortable. Not quite as comfortable as the Aonic though.

Jul 21, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #319 of 1,309
Hey all, just discovered this thread the other day, and have read the first 9 pages.
looking forward to seeing what others have experienced.
I bought these on april 3rd, thanks for free 1 day shipping Amazon.
i noticed pretty quickly an issue with LDAC that i've written shure about, glad to see others have as well. But with any Android 9 and up dev i paired with, Either my V40 or V60, as well as my Xiaomi Mi mix2S and a friend's pixel 3, it would default to LDAC with sample rate of 96 w BPS of 32. IF i switched sample rate to 44, the weird distortion in LDAC went away. But when reconnecting, it would default to the previous settings which were causing the issue.
This isn't specific to the Aonics though, i had the same problem with the Sony Wh H910N.
fortunately on my LG's i could switch to APTXHD and they reconnect with APTXHD each time.
Both of them are running Android 10.
With my mi mix 2S, which is also running Android 10, it actually gives me the option to turn ldac off altogether or choose in each bt device's settings, which codec i want it to connect with.
So possible that this has already been discovered, but not sure as i haven't finished reading the thread yet.
But when using LDAC, switch to sample rate of 44 KHZ and the distortion should go away.
As for the sound, these are wonderful imo. A great balance and tuning across the board. I could go further into detail, but honestly i've read a lot of posts already that capture my thoughts on the sq as well.
The ANC did make them have a much different tuning initially, the highs were harsh, the mids changed for the worse and the bass improved slightly.
After i did the firmware update those issues vanished however, and my headphones have a slightly fuller sound than they did prior. not that they were thin to my ears, they just took that great tuning and refined it even more. Also the ANC slightly improved. Though still has that slight hiss. but can't hear it with music.
Doesn't cancel out my fans poorly, but it's better with lower noises i'm sure i'll have no issues flying with these...

Jul 21, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #320 of 1,309
Hey,
yes, the LDAC issue was addressed in the recent firmware update.
The ANC max setting has a slight hiss, but in situations where it's needed, it's not relevant. It does a really nice job on trains.
The normal ANC setting has no hiss at all. I sometimes use that one in more or less quite rooms, since it's a small bonus at no cost.

Have any of you notice a significant reduction of amplification power of ambient mode after the last firmware update? I have tried changing all the levels in the app.
Maybe i got that wrong, but do you mean if the volume goes down when activating ENV mode?
If I got that right, then no. It's all fine.

Jul 21, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #321 of 1,309
Maybe i got that wrong, but do you mean if the volume goes down when activating ENV mode?
If I got that right, then no. It's all fine.
No. I am referring at the amplification of the surrounding sounds. Before update, in Environment Mode set to max (from 0 to 10), I could hear what was happening at my surrounds very loud and clear. It was one of my favorite features. Now it is not better than the Sennheiser Momentum 3.

Jul 21, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #322 of 1,309
No. I am referring at the amplification of the surrounding sounds. Before update, in Environment Mode set to max (from 0 to 10), I could hear what was happening at my surrounds very loud and clear. It was one of my favorite features. Now it is not better than the Sennheiser Momentum 3.
Yes, you might be right. While I didn't use that feature a lot apart from testing it, I remember that it was quite strong and now that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. This is just an assumption though and I wouldn't notice it on myself I guess.

If I'm using LDAC the adaptive way, which is the default on Android, how do i see which bit rate is used?
A Linux solution would be welcome as well.

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #323 of 1,309
Hey,
yes, the LDAC issue was addressed in the recent firmware update.
The ANC max setting has a slight hiss, but in situations where it's needed, it's not relevant. It does a really nice job on trains.
The normal ANC setting has no hiss at all. I sometimes use that one in more or less quite rooms, since it's a small bonus at no cost.
Awesome thanks, i never heard back from Shure, so good to know. last i heard they were testing it, and the guy i was chatting with didn't have any updates as of a few weeks ago, probably more than a month actually.
but no firmware in the app and no app update, may have to ask them to send a link to the latest app version.

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #324 of 1,309
Awesome thanks, i never heard back from Shure, so good to know. last i heard they were testing it, and the guy i was chatting with didn't have any updates as of a few weeks ago, probably more than a month actually.
but no firmware in the app and no app update, may have to ask them to send a link to the latest app version.
Weird. My experience with the Shure support was extremely good.
And what's your current firmware version?
Also another guy manually triggered the update with uninstalling and reinstalling the app I think.

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #325 of 1,309
Weird. My experience with the Shure support was extremely good.
And what's your current firmware version?
Also another guy manually triggered the update with uninstalling and reinstalling the app I think.
0.4.3. Most importantly, i'm glad the issue is fixed. But the guy went out of his way to tell me when i mentioned it that my question about it was the first they'd heard of it. I don't really care about that tbh, but a ticket had been created and i was getting updates on that, so just kinda surprised i didn't get even a generic reply that the ticket was resolved etc.
But i'm stoked they fixed it, yeah i'll have to reinstall the app and that will probably trigger the update.

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #327 of 1,309
Any idea if it is possible to get a cable with mic? To use the AONIC with mic but passive.
That would be 3,5mm TRRS to 2.5mm TRRS with a mic. Right?

No, Shure's mic will not operate using the cable. MIC only works with bluetooth. You can test it out using the supplied cable.

The supplied cable is 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS, which is not easy to find. So I checked with Shure customer service about 2.5mm TRRS vs TRS. Shure's response is:
  • 2.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS can work as replacement cable (for audio only).
  • To use it with mic, can get a "Bose style" cable that has integrated mic in the cable, which will be 2.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRRS.
I see both of these type of cables readily available on Amazon. If you get the one with integrated mic, seems it has to be phone brand specific, probably due to the integrated volume/play/stop button features.

I plan to get a braided cable for audio only. If anyone has experience or suggestion on these cables, please share.

Below is Shure's customer service response:

"I can confirm that the Aonic 50's microphones are only accessible via Bluetooth.

I'm not sure why we used the TRRS cable on the 2.5mm end, aside from availability of parts. Nothing is connected to the "sleeve" of the 2.5mm jack on the headphones, and both the "ring 2" and "sleeve" of the cable's 2.5mm plug are connected to the 3.5mm TRS connector's "sleeve."

A 3.5mm TRS to 2.5mm TRS cable should work just fine as a replacement cable. If you want to use a "Bose style" cable that also integrates a microphone (usually 3.5mm TRRS to 2.5mm TRS), it also should be fine."

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #328 of 1,309
No, Shure's mic will not operate using the cable. MIC only works with bluetooth. You can test it out using the supplied cable.

The supplied cable is 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS, which is not easy to find. So I checked with Shure customer service about 2.5mm TRRS vs TRS. Shure's response is:
  • 2.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS can work as replacement cable (for audio only).
  • To use it with mic, can get a "Bose style" cable that has integrated mic in the cable, which will be 2.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRRS.
I see both of these type of cables readily available on Amazon. If you get the one with integrated mic, seems it has to be phone brand specific, probably due to the integrated volume/play/stop button features.

I plan to get a braided cable for audio only. If anyone has experience or suggestion on these cables, please share.

"I can confirm that the Aonic 50's microphones are only accessible via Bluetooth.

I'm not sure why we used the TRRS cable on the 2.5mm end, aside from availability of parts. Nothing is connected to the "sleeve" of the 2.5mm jack on the headphones, and both the "ring 2" and "sleeve" of the cable's 2.5mm plug are connected to the 3.5mm TRS connector's "sleeve."

A 3.5mm TRS to 2.5mm TRS cable should work just fine as a replacement cable. If you want to use a "Bose style" cable that also integrates a microphone (usually 3.5mm TRRS to 2.5mm TRS), it also should be fine."
The TRRS on the headphone side is actually to determine if the cable is connected or not. For usage when the headphones are on (for ANC/ENV) but music coming from the cable. Like in a plain with an airplane adapter.

Jul 24, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #329 of 1,309
<snip>

I had a similar conversation with the Shure support team. The answer "a Bose-style cable with inline mic will work" felt ambiguous to me, so I followed up to ask specifically whether the inline mic should work. The answer from them was:

Shure Customer Service Rep said:
Yes, the mic will work as well as the audio playback portion of the signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back