Shure AONIC 50 Headphones and AONIC 215 Earphones
Apr 8, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #16 of 110
I'm a technician. I learned to not create assumptions without proof ☺. Anyway, product page should contain clear specifications including microphone and also bluetooth multipoint support.
Same here, sad but true. in 99% of shops I buy gear I have at least 30 days return. So In case such unexpected crap happens I would send it back.

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #19 of 110
Well, Amazon delivery windows are all over the place. My AONIC 50 was scheduled to arrive on Thursday. To my surprise, I got an alert on my phone yesterday informing me that they were delivered. I've only listened to them for about 10 mins so far. Initial impressions, the audio is as Shure described and what I've read in reviews, studio quality. These are very clean, neutral, and detailed. I honestly was semi blown away when I fired up my first track. If it wasn't for me owning the Dali io-6, I'd probably be drooling. Shure markets these to musicians and artists on the move who need all day comfort. Although I haven't worn them longer than a few minutes or so, the comfort is top notch and I'm pretty confident that these will provide all day comfort. Definitely a step up in comfort to the Dalis. I'm going to spend more time with them and provide updates in the next day or so. I wil say that I am having early adopter issues with the App/Firmware update. I've been trying to update my firmware for the last hour or so and it keeps freezing. Haven't made it past 41%. I'm on iOS. Hopefully Shure will fix this soon.

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #20 of 110
My Aonic 50's came in and used them yesterday to watch TV. I'm pleased with the sync up between audio and video. The aptx low latency codec appears to be doing a good job.

But, audio quality seems dull to my ears. Not sure how to describe it, but it sounds flat, closed in and "muted", even on high volume. Accuracy is much better than the Bose 700. But the sound signature of the Bose 700 is more lively, despite being hollow. I prefer listening to music with the Bose 700 even though they have this hollow mid-range.

Noise cancellation is not as good as the Bose 700. I could hear a loud air cleaner fan with the Shure's but not the Bose.

Also, the Shure's make my ears hot after an extended listening session. Presumably, this is because the Shure's have a nearly full size ear cup, whereas the Bose are "on-ear". The Bose allow some air circulation as a result of this design difference.

I'm not an die hard audiophile, so take this opinion with a grain of salt.

Next, I'll try using a hard wire cable to the Shure's and maybe some equalizer settings with their smartphone app.

Updating firmware failed several times for me on iOS. It finally worked with with the following conditions: Have the phone right next to the headphones, 2-3 inches away. Hold the phone in your hand the entire time with a finger or thumb on the screen. Don't switch to another app on the phone. Be patient and wait.

Apr 8, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #21 of 110
My Aonic 50's came in and used them yesterday to watch TV. I'm pleased with the sync up between audio and video. The aptx low latency codec appears to be doing a good job.

But, audio quality seems dull to my ears. Not sure how to describe it, but it sounds flat, closed in and "muted", even on high volume. Accuracy is much better than the Bose 700. But the sound signature of the Bose 700 is more lively, despite being hollow. I prefer listening to music with the Bose 700 even though they have this hollow mid-range.

Noise cancellation is not as good as the Bose 700. I could hear a loud air cleaner fan with the Shure's but not the Bose.

Also, the Shure's make my ears hot after an extended listening session. Presumably, this is because the Shure's have a nearly full size ear cup, whereas the Bose are "on-ear". The Bose allow some air circulation as a result of this design difference.

I'm not an die hard audiophile, so take this opinion with a grain of salt.

Next, I'll try using a hard wire cable to the Shure's and maybe some equalizer settings with their smartphone app.
Wow muted? That's the last word I would use to describe the SQ. You must be listening with ANC on Max. In the app change ANC to normal or turn it off all together. I will admit that one knock on these is that the SQ definitely degrades when you have the ANC on Max. Volume gets lower and you lose a bit of detail and soundstage. The Sennheiser Momentum 3 and Dali io-6 are two of the best headphones I've tried when it comes to not losing SQ with the ANC on. But, both of those have a very mild ANC compared to Bose, Sony, and this Shure.

I had the Bose 700 for a while and I had the opposite opinion as you when it comes to SQ. I didn't hear the Bose as lively. For me it was more boring. It's not Neutral or Exciting. It's like Bose auto EQs their headphones to try and make everything sound smooth. It just makes for a boring listen to me. They also have some kind of volume limiter on the 700. When you turn the volume up the sound changes. Everything else about the Bose I loved though.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #23 of 110
Aha! Thanks for the tip! I'll try changing the ANC. I've only had them on Max.
No problem. I've tried more ANC headphones than I care to admit. Right now, ANC technology is limited. Outside of Bose and Sony, most manufacturers either put in mild ANC to avoid sound degradation, or they give levels to their ANC with a Max Level that gives you the strongest ANC their technology can provide without regard for SQ. I've found Max is for Airplanes or REALLY loud environments, louder than what's typical in our home. In these circumstances, sound degradation is not as big a deal because most headphones on the market that don't have ANC will give you worse SQ due to the competing noise so you still come out pretty good. Bose and Sony by far has the best technology in my opinion. Bose's sound doesn't necessarily degrade, but they do have an optimized eq/volume limiter to prevent distortion/degradation. Sony has it nailed in my opinion. They're the only ANC headphones I've heard that have super strong ANC while having little to no change in SQ. I'm just not a big fan of Sony's bass heavy profile. Sounds veiled to my ears. Let me know how you like the AONIC 50 with the ANC off or on normal.

Apr 8, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #24 of 110
Coming from the Sony WH-1000XM3 I hope these are a step up in soundquality. A bit weaker ANC wouldn't be a problem for me, I will happily trade that for better SQ overall. Physical control buttons is a plus for me, too many ghost touches on the Sonys because of weather conditions.

Apr 8, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #25 of 110
Coming from the Sony WH-1000XM3 I hope these are a step up in soundquality. A bit weaker ANC wouldn't be a problem for me, I will happily trade that for better SQ overall. Physical control buttons is a plus for me, too many ghost touches on the Sonys because of weather conditions.
If you can sacrifice some bass for clearer audio those seem to be the one to go for you. The Dali IO-6 are also worth to check out.

Apr 8, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #26 of 110
If you can sacrifice some bass for clearer audio those seem to be the one to go for you. The Dali IO-6 are also worth to check out.
Yes, that is the exact trade I want to make. Less bass bloat and clearer audio. These and the Dali headphones are my top two candidates right now.

Apr 8, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #27 of 110
Nice. Moving the noise reduction to from Max to Normal removes some of that closed in feeling. Thanks, Maukey.

How does the Shure Aonic 50 compare with the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless, the only other bluetooth cans I'd consider at the moment. (my criteron: audiophile quality with aptx-LL)

Apr 8, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #28 of 110
Well, Amazon delivery windows are all over the place. My AONIC 50 was scheduled to arrive on Thursday. To my surprise, I got an alert on my phone yesterday informing me that they were delivered. I've only listened to them for about 10 mins so far. Initial impressions, the audio is as Shure described and what I've read in reviews, studio quality. These are very clean, neutral, and detailed. I honestly was semi blown away when I fired up my first track. If it wasn't for me owning the Dali io-6, I'd probably be drooling. Shure markets these to musicians and artists on the move who need all day comfort. Although I haven't worn them longer than a few minutes or so, the comfort is top notch and I'm pretty confident that these will provide all day comfort. Definitely a step up in comfort to the Dalis. I'm going to spend more time with them and provide updates in the next day or so. I wil say that I am having early adopter issues with the App/Firmware update. I've been trying to update my firmware for the last hour or so and it keeps freezing. Haven't made it past 41%. I'm on iOS. Hopefully Shure will fix this soon.

Looking forward to hearing more about these from you!

I'm also wondering how bad the bass takes a hit when being listened to with glasses on - an issue I believe to be pretty prominent on the Dali's.

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #29 of 110
Nice. Moving the noise reduction to from Max to Normal removes some of that closed in feeling. Thanks, Maukey.

How does the Shure Aonic 50 compare with the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless, the only other bluetooth cans I'd consider at the moment. (my criteron: audiophile quality with aptx-LL)
It depends on what you like. Two very different sound signatures. I consider both audiophile headphones. The Aonic is the more traditional audiophile sound with a more neutral response. It’s the more detailed headphone. A little hotter in the treble, which I personally like. The Momentum is what I call a modern audiophile headphone. It has more bass although it’s a little too loose for my taste. It’s a warmer headphone than the Aonic. If you prefer neutral, detail, and accuracy, I’d get the Aonic. If you like a little more power and excitement for modern music, get the Momentum. I personally prefer the Aonic. It’s better sounding too my ears, it has stronger ANC when needed, it’s more comfortable, and I LOVE that it sounds just as good if not better passively. I will get more into this when I provide an update on my impressions, but you can use the Aonics with a cable without power and have regular, studio headphones that sound amazing. You can’t say that for no other ANC headphone that I’ve tried. The Momentum, Sony XM3, Dali io-6, Bose 700, etc. all sound noticeably worse to my ears without power. So much so, that I never used either without power because of what I was giving up. Not the case with the Aonic. I’m looking forward to plugging these up to my gaming DAC and testing them out with my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.

Looking forward to hearing more about these from you!

I'm also wondering how bad the bass takes a hit when being listened to with glasses on - an issue I believe to be pretty prominent on the Dali's.
I haven’t tested the seal on these with glasses yet as I’m now in the habit of putting my glasses over the ear cups of my headphones thanks to the Dalis LOL. I will test this out soon. The Momentums and Sony XM3 are the only 2 headphones that didn’t take some kind of hit to the sound with my glasses on. Crossing my fingers on the Aonic.

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #30 of 110
It depends on what you like. Two very different sound signatures. I consider both audiophile headphones. The Aonic is the more traditional audiophile sound with a more neutral response. It’s the more detailed headphone. A little hotter in the treble, which I personally like. The Momentum is what I call a modern audiophile headphone. It has more bass although it’s a little too loose for my taste. It’s a warmer headphone than the Aonic. If you prefer neutral, detail, and accuracy, I’d get the Aonic. If you like a little more power and excitement for modern music, get the Momentum. I personally prefer the Aonic. It’s better sounding too my ears, it has stronger ANC when needed, it’s more comfortable, and I LOVE that it sounds just as good if not better passively. I will get more into this when I provide an update on my impressions, but you can use the Aonics with a cable without power and have regular, studio headphones that sound amazing. You can’t say that for no other ANC headphone that I’ve tried. The Momentum, Sony XM3, Dali io-6, Bose 700, etc. all sound noticeably worse to my ears without power. So much so, that I never used either without power because of what I was giving up. Not the case with the Aonic. I’m looking forward to plugging these up to my gaming DAC and testing them out with my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.
In the passive mode, does it sound as good as srh 1540? Does aonic scale well on quality amplifiers? I love the sound of srh 1540 quite a lot but they are too bulky to use on the go. Thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back