Shure announcing new SRH1540 in Tokyo today! - Head-Fi TV
Oct 28, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #78 of 493
Im just hopeing they run from my magni/modi stack or my budget is gonna cry.

I`m guessing they will sound bloody amazing from the schiit.  Yesterday at the Tokyo show they were running from a small desktop amp/CD combo.  Then I ran them from my HTC One (flac) through the tiny iBasso D-zeroSE.  Then I plugged them straight into the HTC headphone jack.  Fantastic any old way.  
It was quite a day, because I was scurrying around demo-ing 3 closed contenders:  Alpha-dogs, Audeze XC and these.  3 tries with the `dogs, 2 with the Audeze, 3 with the Shures.  While they were all fantastic, and hugely different, these Shures were so distractingly light and effortless to wear, while still isolating really well.  Not as much as the Alpha-dogs (those things are like earplugs) but much more than the LCD-xcs. . .   I have HD800s which I love and, while I hesitate to make such a reference, these Shures sounded distractingly similar to the Senns.  (I was also demo-ing the HD800s on the sennnheiser amp, so it wasn`t just from memory)

I`m pretty much sold (they`re the cheapest of the 3 by far); I just wish I didn`t have to wait another 2 months to get them in Japan....

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #79 of 493
  I`m guessing they will sound bloody amazing from the schiit.  Yesterday at the Tokyo show they were running from a small desktop amp/CD combo.  Then I ran them from my HTC One (flac) through the tiny iBasso D-zeroSE.  Then I plugged them straight into the HTC headphone jack.  Fantastic any old way.  
It was quite a day, because I was scurrying around demo-ing 3 closed contenders:  Alpha-dogs, Audeze XC and these.  3 tries with the `dogs, 2 with the Audeze, 3 with the Shures.  While they were all fantastic, and hugely different, these Shures were so distractingly light and effortless to wear, while still isolating really well.  Not as much as the Alpha-dogs (those things are like earplugs) but much more than the LCD-xcs. . .   I have HD800s which I love and, while I hesitate to make such a reference, these Shures sounded distractingly similar to the Senns.  (I was also demo-ing the HD800s on the sennnheiser amp, so it wasn`t just from memory)

I`m pretty much sold (they`re the cheapest of the 3 by far); I just wish I didn`t have to wait another 2 months to get them in Japan....

How big are the earcups, the inner dimensions? Did you happen to take any measurements? :)

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #81 of 493
  would these hps need an amp or would they do well from a good soundcard ±100eur soundcard?

will you be able to tell a difference, amp+dac vs soundcard on these?

Either way it might be worth the while to use an external DAC if you're gonna use your computer to listen to music. Inside the PC there is way too much electromagnetic interference to guarantee a clean signal. 

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #82 of 493
so dac+amp is always better? (shiit) than my soundcard? (xonar phoebus) i wonder if id hear a difference.

i use it for gaming too btw, and my soundcard has 3d sound, but i think its a bit gimmicky...

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #84 of 493
  How big are the earcups, the inner dimensions? Did you happen to take any measurements? :)

They`re big, full sized; bigger than the Alpha dogs but smaller than Audeze and of course the frisbee-sized pads of my HD800.  At least that`s my impression; I didn`t measure anything.  
Actually all the specs are already online:
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/headphones/srh1540-premium-closed-back-headphones

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #85 of 493
Actually I have nothing better to do tonight so I`ll save you all some time:

The hardcase is nice, and included are an extra set of pads and an extra cable. 

Oct 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #87 of 493
  These look stunning. Think I ready to upgrade my denon d2k's and will be keeping an eye on these. Any news on when they are being released in the UK/EU?

One store that's going to carry them here in the Netherlands has on their website that it should be in stock in about 10 weeks. But dunno if that's reliable.

Oct 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #88 of 493
  They`re big, full sized; bigger than the Alpha dogs but smaller than Audeze and of course the frisbee-sized pads of my HD800.  At least that`s my impression; I didn`t measure anything.  
Actually all the specs are already online:
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/headphones/srh1540-premium-closed-back-headphones

Thanks. The specs never mention the actual earcup size though, so I decided to send Shure an e-mail. Hopefully they'll respond. Will post it here if they do.

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #89 of 493
Received an e-mail that the SRH1540 is back-ordered...
It seems it's the same situation in most places, not sure about Moon-Audio.
Anyway, I guess I'll wait...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back