Shure 840 vs AKG K271 MK. II?
Jun 8, 2011 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bassophile

100+ Head-Fier
As title says - what are the main differences between these two? Which has more bass weight and a more forward mid-range? Which sounds colder/brighter/warmer/darker overall?

If any of you have heard a Shure 940 I'd welcome a comparison between that and the K271 as well, assuming the 940 retains the 840's sound but does everything better!!

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
As title says - what are the main differences between these two? Which has more bass weight and a more forward mid-range? Which sounds colder/brighter/warmer/darker overall?

If any of you have heard a Shure 940 I'd welcome a comparison between that and the K271 as well, assuming the 940 retains the 840's sound but does everything better!!

I compared SRH840 & K271 MKII in a post.  The Shures have much more bass whereas AKG are sorely lacking in bass to these ears which threw everything off.  To be fair, the K271 didn't work at all with my amps & some people report very good results.  But they will always be bass-light.  From what people report the SRH940 sound very promising (seem to address the small flaws of SRH840) but I haven't heard them.

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 5
the shure srh840 has plenty of bass imo. they are also very clear and durable. i highly recommend them.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #5 of 5
Hi there! I can't compare the two but a month ago I've purchased this particular AKG modell and I was very disappointed. It's not about the bass, but the overall sound quality was very poor (sources: flac+XFi, Technics CD, and an old Rotel receiver/Amp. Surprisingly it performed best with the XFi soundcard). AKGs are usually very good in mid range, but not this time. The soundstage was minimal, no directions, all musicians were standing in my head.
And I would not say that the AKG is a studio HP as it was anything but not linear. It had a bump at 50-60Hz, 3.1KHz and 5.8-6.0 KHz, but the deeper bass (below 50Hz) and upper highs were suppressed fairly quickly, so the frequency trasparence was not satisfactory neither, in my oppinion. 

The only thing that I liked about it was the automute microswitch, I used the headphones in the office so this feat was very comfortable and useful. Finally after 2-3 days of struggling I sent it back. (Now I'm a happy owner of a Beyer DT-150)

I just do not recommend buying these AKG cans, at least without listening them before spending the cash.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back