Shure 750 DJs for Studio Monitoring Use?
Jul 5, 2011 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

zpolt

New Head-Fier
I have heard a lot about this phones and I am leaning on buying these over the other phones in the price range. I do home multi - track recording using different instruments ( vocals, guitar, drums, piano ) and I want to phones that I will enjoy and will also serve as a studio monitor. I know that the phones designed to be monitors by Shure are the 840s but they are too big and are geared towards home use. I want more portability and a more enjoyable phone so I have found these.

I know they are designed to be DJ headphones, but will they also do well as a studio monitor for home use? I would love to hear from people who actually have already used these as studio monitors. And also what are the pros and cons in using them as monitors? Thanks in advance!

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 9
Absolutely not, they have wayyyy too much bass. My Pro 900's feel basslight in comparison, I'm not kidding. I think Shure developed the SRH750DJ as an attempt to attract Skullcandy owners that want their boom boom bass (their buildquality is also similar). You're much better off with the Sennheiser HD25-1 II or Beyerdynamic DT1350, both are on the neutral side and are built to last. They are also much more portable than the Shures and they are really designed for studio monitoring, the HD25-1 are used in almost every studio in the world. (Shure just calls their SRH750DJ a studio monitor for marketing purposes. Hell, Sony calls their MDR-V150 a studio monitor lol)

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 9
The SRH750DJ are bass heavy because they are designed to be used for beat matching and cuing in a loud club environment. It is important to be able to hear the kick drum over anything else on the track you are cuing. The high frequencies may be reduced in order to not strain the ears at such a high volume. The are not really meant to be used as studio equipment. The same reason the Sony MDR-v700s are frowned upon here, yet have been some of the most prominent DJ headphones for the past two decades. The sound signature is designed with DJ's needs in mind.

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
The SRH750DJ are bass heavy because they are designed to be used for beat matching and cuing in a loud club environment. It is important to be able to hear the kick drum over anything else on the track you are cuing. The high frequencies may be reduced in order to not strain the ears at such a high volume. The are not really meant to be used as studio equipment. The same reason the Sony MDR-v700s are frowned upon here, yet have been some of the most prominent DJ headphones for the past two decades. The sound signature is designed with DJ's needs in mind.

little odd that the hd25 is so prominent here 

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 9
They, apparently, have a very appealing sound signature which both communities can enjoy/utilize. I've not heard them so I can't really comment further. I will say that they are on my radar as a future purchase!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
little odd that the hd25 is so prominent here 

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 9
Check out the GMP 8.35 for DJ and music production, Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Absolutely not, they have wayyyy too much bass. My Pro 900's feel basslight in comparison, I'm not kidding. I think Shure developed the SRH750DJ as an attempt to attract Skullcandy owners that want their boom boom bass (their buildquality is also similar). You're much better off with the Sennheiser HD25-1 II or Beyerdynamic DT1350, both are on the neutral side and are built to last. They are also much more portable than the Shures and they are really designed for studio monitoring, the HD25-1 are used in almost every studio in the world. (Shure just calls their SRH750DJ a studio monitor for marketing purposes. Hell, Sony calls their MDR-V150 a studio monitor lol)

Ohh thanks for that. HD25 - II yeah I also heard good things about them here. So the bass quantity is not really tolerable that they overpower the mids and highs? How about the seperation of instruments? Thanks. Or am I just better of getting an 840 lol. XD

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
They, apparently, have a very appealing sound signature which both communities can enjoy/utilize. I've not heard them so I can't really comment further. I will say that they are on my radar as a future purchase!
biggrin.gif

I would actually like on ear headphones. Are there other alternatives? My problem with the HD25's is that they are not available from our place. Or for my requirements the HD25's is really the best fit? Thanks.

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #9 of 9
I eventually went with the Shure 840s and they are great! Tried the 750s in the store and they are really not built to be monitors though they also sound great! Love my 840s now. Thanks for the help. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back