Shure 535 (Special Ed) vs Westone 4R vs UE 900 need advice please!
Nov 22, 2012 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Skyline834

New Head-Fier
Hello all, 

I have been reading forums recently regarding the IEM's mentioned in topic, Most forums/threads/topics i have read doesn't have what i want. I myself listen mostly K-POP and J-POP, OST' and i need some help in which one among the 3 IEM's or if any, other IEM's i should consider if i wanted more vocals, and less bass

I currently own the Sony XBA-2 and MP3 player Sony NWZ-Z1060 and felt the XBA-2 (without any equalizer), i don't feel any bass at all while with Equalizer, there is more bass, covering the vocals, and its like each bass and vocal is playing their own thing and doesn't blend in quite well. 

Price is not really an issue, i just wanted to get an earphone that can last awhile, and preferably i would lean towards earphones that have removable cable as well. I would not consider getting an amp. at the moment, seeing as getting an earphone is my first top priority.

From what i read Shure has more towards mids-and highs, but i read that it has 2x woofers and 1 mid. Does that mean 2x woofers has more bass? 

W4R i read has more soundstage, and has less bass 

UE 900 - i don't know much about this one as its my cousin who suggest this model ~_~.

Thanks in advance! much apprecitaed. :)

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 16
I've had the normal 535, 2 woofers does not mean more bass, they would be perfect if you like vocals, they have such an amazing mid range

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 16
I think the W4/4R will be the best for you.  the 535 has only 3 drivers vs. W4/4R and UE900 4 drivers setup, and from what I have read the W4/4R has more bass compare to the UE900.  I myself is not a bass head but listens to a lot of J-Pop / Vocaloid and found the UE900 to be great for that.  However, Bower & Wilkins C5 has more bass compare and good highs to the UE900 with less staging, and I am only being this up because Apple stores sells both C5 and UE900 which makes comparison and return easy.  Therefore, why not just get both the W4R and UE900 and see which one is better for you?

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 16
The W4's are great all arounders. They do everything well, but nothing exceptional. They don't do anything wrong.

However, if you want great mids I'd check out the SE535 (which I have not heard that model, but Shure is famous for mids) and maybe the UM3X.

That said, the W4 still does vocals well, just not as well as the UM3X. All around winner - W4. Vocal winner - UM3X and maybe SE535.

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 16
More drivers does not mean better.

Seriously consider SE535, I should be testing W4 next month

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
More drivers does not mean better.
Seriously consider SE535, I should be testing W4 next month

So in conclusion, i went to the store with my cousin and tried the Westone 4R, UM3x and Shure SE 535.

At the end, i bought the SE 535, The Westone's are great for its soundstage, but the vocals i hear is covered by something which i can't really describe. SE 535 i can hear better, its more clear to me than the other two.

they recommended a cable change which is for the SHURE SE series named: Oyaide HPC-SE, which they told me its suppose to help with the mids and highs on the earphone. I tried it and like it with their earphone SE 535. Right now, i just need time to burn-in the SE 535 and see how it goes. But really, i wanted to get the SHURE SE 535 LTD which i hear is great, but its pricey (expensive)

I bought it for $3600 HK (earphone and cable) , whereas SE 535 Red is $3500 on itself. The separate cable is around $700-$800. I guess i would swap to another earphone in the future as i still wanted a perfect earphone that is for the mids-highs, Shure SE 535 is missing alittle bit of that something. Hopefully Shure will produce something even better in the future

i tried the 535 Red in another store after i made the purchase, the 535 Red i tried was without a custom cable and the sound is not as good as Normal 535 with the custom cable, so i guess its a fair trade as i didn't end up buying the 535 Red.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #9 of 16
Another happy SE535 owner, yes the cable does make a difference, may I suggest in the future getting a silver plated copper cable, around $50 USD, brings out the highs a bit.

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #12 of 16
i have had the shure se535 bronze, se535-ltd-j red asian edition and i just got in my westone 4r, in my opinion the westone 4r with a btg audio sunrise cable. in my opinion the 4r have better resolution, more clarity, much larger soundstage, highs mids and lows seem to be true to the recording, so if the bass is deep present and predominant then thats how the bass comes accross. thats just my take

with the 4r the highs mids and lows nothing is more present than the other. the se535 the mids are very forward up front and with the bronze/clear the highs roll off is a spoiler. with the reds the roll off is gone. so imo the reds are the only 535 i would rock if i was to go back to them, however i hate the cable design of the 535.

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
Which one has the best bass???

Depends what your definition of great bass is.  I find SE535 much better than W4.  There is a lower mid boost with W4 that clouds the midrange a bit.  SE535 is more linear IMHO.  No spikes or boost anywhere yet its bass is more present and impactful.  SE535 midrange has much better clarity. 

So pick your poison....a boosted lower mid that clouds/veils the midrange or a treble that rolls off a little early.  That later doesn't bother me because the midrange is so clear!

Keep in mind the UE900 and W4R will both sound downright DARK next to the SE535 Ltd with it's extended treble.  Regular SE535 is already brighter than the other two.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Keep in mind the UE900 and W4R will both sound downright DARK next to the SE535 Ltd with it's extended treble.  Regular SE535 is already brighter than the other two.

Now that's scary! If the Special Edition 535 makes the UE900 sound downright DARK, I definitely don't want it. I'll stick with the plain one.
wink_face.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Depends what your definition of great bass is.  I find SE535 much better than W4.  There is a lower mid boost with W4 that clouds the midrange a bit.  SE535 is more linear IMHO.  No spikes or boost anywhere yet its bass is more present and impactful.  SE535 midrange has much better clarity. 

So pick your poison....a boosted lower mid that clouds/veils the midrange or a treble that rolls off a little early.  That later doesn't bother me because the midrange is so clear!

and we are talking about thre 535 and w4r in stock form with stock cables correct?

i personally thought when i bought the w4r that i was going to expierence that ''veil'' or ''darkness'' but to my surprise i dont find them dark at all. this could be from the btgaudio upgrade cable. the w4r are so mellow, so natural sounding. in comparison the 535 sound wild in comparison to the w4r, the 535 have this up front in your face mids, sparkly highs, and good lows. while the w4r seem to be more natural more laid back. but seem to do everything right and have more of a audiophile sound, almost a sterile sound but not in a bad way.

personally when i was into the 535 i lucked out and found the 535-ltd-j right after i got the bronze and could not stand the roll off in comparison to the reds. it seems like shure intentionally rolled those highs off to come out with another iem that ''corrects'' this roll off problem. the asian reds are definitly a really great iem. but i feel the cable design is a spoiler. definitly not a fan of that style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back