Shuoer impressions thread
Nov 1, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #242 of 3,872
Really interested in it01 comparison
When I get home tonight I will be able to do a more detailed comparison, but for now I'll say I originally purchased the FiiO F9pro and the Ibasso IT01 at the same time and my initial impressions of both of those were the FiiO had slightly more detail, but at he expense of a strange timbre in the treble (that weird spike is really audible). The iBasso it01 had a much more natural timbre through the spectrum while maintaining more cohesive sound. Details are good, but not amazing.
When it comes to the Shuoer vs the it01, the Shuoer shows an increase in detail and resolution while maintaining cohesiveness. There is a *slightly* less natural characteristic up top, but honestly I think it's more tip dependent than the actual IEM (something I can confirm or deny later when I get a chance to sit with them both for some time). People have been mentioning the Tape's being unnatural upstairs, but I actually disagree to an extent, which is what leads me to believe it's tip/user dependent. Also should note that the ibasso is easier to drive. In terms of build quality, there are plenty of reviews of both. The ibasso is plastic (resin?) and has some serious driver flex when inserting, though is perfectly comfortable for long periods of time. The tapes are metal (feel a little cold at first) but are very small (way smaller than I envisioned while shopping/reading reviews) and are very well built - also very comfortable.

LSS, if I had to pick only one, I would take the Tapes for Shuoer :wink:

Nov 1, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #244 of 3,872
Did anyone try Tapes with zx300?

Listening on the ZX300 right now.ZX300 obviously tames that treble some are sensitive too.

But I prefer Tape on my new Hiby R5.it drives the tape with authority and presence be it SE or balanced output.
R5 has more clarity, wider stage and gets you closer to the music.

Despite what some have said. The tape sounds even better with more power but can be driven easily compared to my Tin Hifi P1.

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #245 of 3,872
Listening on the ZX300 right now.ZX300 obviously tames that treble some are sensitive too.

But I prefer Tape on my new Hiby R5.it drives the tape with authority and presence be it SE or balanced output.
R5 has more clarity, wider stage and gets you closer to the music.

Despite what some have said. The tape sounds even better with more power but can be driven easily compared to my Tin Hifi P1.
Thank you, will keep that in mind, wasn't planning to get a new dap. Hey,since you have p1's - how they sound with your zx300, is it enough power for them?

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #246 of 3,872
Thank you, will keep that in mind, wasn't planning to get a new dap. Hey, since you have p1's - how they sound with your zx300, is it enough power for them?

P1's are hard to drive...ZX300 has to be pushed really hard and you need to add some bass. The tape is a better fit for ZX300 and my LG V35 with zero EQ. Tape sounds good with excellent bass and clarity.you don't have to ditch the ZX300.i was just pointing out the differences and how the IEM sounds with more powerful devices.

It's my best buy + Hiby R5 of 2019....aslo bought Audiosense T800, Tin Hifi P1, BGVP DMG.I'm set for a while.

My ranking is Tape, DMG, T800 then P1

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #247 of 3,872
P1's are hard to drive...ZX300 has to be pushed really hard and you need to add some bass. The tape is a better fit for ZX300 and my LG V35 with zero EQ. Tape sounds good with excellent bass and clarity.you don't have to ditch the ZX300.i was just pointing out the differences and how the IEM sounds with more powerful devices.

It's my best buy + Hiby R5 of 2019....aslo bought Audiosense T800, Tin Hifi P1, BGVP DMG.I'm set for a while.

My ranking is Tape, DMG, T800 then P1

Wow! Can you tell me why you choose the Tape over the T800? That was at the top of my list to buy next.

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #248 of 3,872
Was hoping to get a brief comparison, you wrote a almost full size review, thanks a lot buddy)
Going to order Tapes for sure, not sure should I keep the iT's
The Tapes definitely show more detail and separation. More than most I've heard in my limited (and budgeted) journey. The only one I've heard from my list that has better separation are the DM6, but those have their own tonal issues as well. For the price, I would get the Tapes and be happy. But again, until this point I would have put iBasso as my #1 recommend for a ~100 set, so it's not exactly far behind/terrible.

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #249 of 3,872
Finally got my set (haven't even found a pair of comfortable tips) and it's a totally wonderful experience. I get what you guys mean by detail and clarity.
Mostly summed up by resolution, speed, or "Was that bit actually in the song?".

I'm a complete noob at describing audio so bear with me. In summary, they aren't overly bassy or bright but can feel that way. I use slow and quick as descriptors of sound not the drivers; I don't know anything about the driver(s).

Highs don't feel particularly hot to my ears, not any more so than the BL-03, even at higher volumes. Perhaps there's a ton of info that one may not be used to hearing causing them to appear "bright"?

There's a lot of stuff going on with the guitars that I've never noticed before! It's like that with most songs. Jangly guitars just come through spectacularly on the TAPE. It's like the shocking clarity that comes with putting on glasses.
At loud volumes, all that detail can become overwhelming because it's seems to be reproducing the trail ends of sound events (parts that wouldn't get reproduced by slower equipment).

Mids are? I have no idea what mids actually mean so I'm going to punt here. No issues with vocals though.

It's a lot easier to hear each part of the vocalists on my singular favorite piece of music.

Bass is a touch more than I'd like; or so I thought. But listening to the Bach piece above makes it clear it's not as bassy as the BL-03 (maybe more mid-bass and less sub-bass compared to the BL-03). The contrabass is far less dominant. It's most similar to my (sealed) direct servo sub. Musical and controlled - always working in the background but suddenly grabs your attention when you don't expect it. But what grabs your attention isn't really volume/quantity (lots of pairs are bassy) it's texture. Maybe that's what people call rumble? It's easiest to feel/hear this on electronic bass. My pet peeve is slow/sloppy bass; I want to hear what note is being played. The TAPE excels at that sort of detail in the bass. It also does really well with very low frequencies without managing to overpower everything.

Zender's playing is much easier to make out here. There's also some funky stuff happening on the right channel at 2:20ish that I never noticed before in 20 years :astonished:

My daily drivers have been the IE-80 and when I got the BL-03 it felt like a veil being lifted off the top end with slightly slower/sloppier lows (still going to keep them as I can't tell which pair I like more). With the TAPE it's like a veil being taking off the entire range. It's so quick that it doesn't lose much. Nothing bleeds into other areas; it can keep up with all the instruments just fine so it's almost child's play to pick each one out.

Complaints? It doesn't have the out of head experience or the crazy LR separation of the IE80 (I'll often hear something on those and look around before realizing it's from earphones). It can make things feel clinical because it's so detailed.
I would prefer this tuned similar to the BL-03 (very musical especially at the top end) but with a bit less bass.That combination would be an instant buy.
Regardless, I expect to enjoy these for a while and eagerly look forward to what Shuoer will put out next :ksc75smile:.

Edit: Didn't mean for this to be so long but these are so interesting haha

Edit 2: Going to take back the clinical critique. It comes together musically when you're not trying to hear each instrument and marveling at the detail.
It's also a lot lighter than expected (almost fell asleep with them in). Not the biggest fan of the cables; they don't have that plastic shrink wrap to keep them in an over ear shape and out of the way.
The nozzle is on the large side so tips might be an issue.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #250 of 3,872
Now that they've reached Amazon Prime, I popped on the Tape. They should be here early next week, and I'll be doing an unboxing/first impressions video as well as a deep-dive sound review video. Tin P1 will be on hand for direct comparison. I'm very excited to hear these, coming hot off the LCD-1 and the BL-03 which are both excellent despite having a 10x price gap. It's a wonderful time to be into headphones.

Nov 2, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #251 of 3,872
Wow! Can you tell me why you choose the Tape over the T800? That was at the top of my list to buy next.

Tape sounds more Natural than T800. The tape is also more resolving with a much wider soundstage. Shuoer Tape has more refined bass and more of it vs T800.

T800 blocks out a lot of sounds though if you're in a noisy environment.

T800 is still a dope IEM but Tape gives you so much more for less than half the price. I'm still keeping the T800 for Noisy environments.

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #252 of 3,872
Tape sounds more Natural than T800. The tape is also more resolving with a much wider soundstage. Shuoer Tape has more refined bass and more of it vs T800.

T800 blocks out a lot of sounds though if you're in a noisy environment.

T800 is still a dope IEM but Tape gives you so much more for less than half the price. I'm still keeping the T800 for Noisy environments.
What about sibilance in the tape? I find the T800 to be sibilant for me does the tape have less focused highs compared to T800?

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #253 of 3,872
What about sibilance in the tape? I find the T800 to be sibilant for me does the tape have less focused highs compared to T800?

T800 can get sibilant depending on the source (G6) and has that BA driver sound. Tape has more details which may be mistaken for sibilance but there's non of that on my 4 sources. LG V35, Zx300, Hiby R5, and Desktop Creative Sound BlasterX G6

Nov 2, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #254 of 3,872
T800 can get sibilant depending on the source (G6) and has that BA driver sound. Tape has more details which may be mistaken for sibilance but there's non of that on my 4 sources. LG V35, Zx300, Hiby R5, and Desktop Creative Sound BlasterX G6

I think the tape and T800 different on peak frequencies, while T800 maybe intense in high, but the Tape have that 3khz high mid peak which is shouty, not sibilance. Some people mistaken / mixed up shouty and sibilance.
3khz peak = shouty
6-7khz peak = sibilance
12khz peak = tizzy

btw how is the LG V35 compared to R5? is the R5 much better?

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #255 of 3,872
I think the tape and T800 different on peak frequencies, while T800 maybe intense in high, but the Tape have that 3khz high mid peak which is shouty, not sibilance. Some people mistaken / mixed up shouty and sibilance.
3khz peak = shouty
6-7khz peak = sibilance
12khz peak = tizzy

btw how is the LG V35 compared to R5? is the R5 much better?
I agree with this. The Tape has that upper mids peak (1-3KHZ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back