Shuoer impressions thread
Oct 29, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #226 of 3,872
Has anyone heard tape's and obravo cupids, how do they compare?
I posted a slight comparison a page back. Tape wins in detail retrieval. Cupids have intense planar bass. Tape have good but not overpowering bass. Tape is better for gaming. Cupids have very scooped mids, tape has more present mids but it lacks a bit of body. Tape peaks at 3-4k and is very in your face, while cupid has a more relaxed sound. Tape is significantly more comfortable. Cupid is not vented so you can get the issue of a vacuum effect with your ears. Cupids sound very trippy and unique. Tape sounds extremely fast and ultra revealing.

Oct 29, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #227 of 3,872
I need to listen to the tape more still but they sound quite different. In general the tape is the more conventional sounding IEM. Outright clarity goes to the tape. The detail is all there on the spring 1, but it's somewhat muted due to the darker signature and dampening.

Bass is similar, a bit more natural sounding on the tape. Treble is definitely hotter on the tape but not ear piercing. The tape is more sensitive and I find it a bit noisy/hiss sensitive.

Soundstage sounds more natural on the tape but it's wider and more interesting in the spring 1. The spring 1 has some very strange staging attributes where YMMV.

I'd say mids are the weakest link in both. The spring 1 seems technically proficient, but lacks any sort of natural timbre (that's not too say it's necessarily bad unless you're a purist). The tape does vocals well but instrumental timbre isn't up to par with the rest of the signature. They're just sort of average in this regard. Both seem to be in need of some work in the mids to make a complete package.

Edit:. To summarize, they're quite different. The spring 1 is definitely more unique sounding, but I think most people would probably prefer the tape.... Myself, I'll probably listen to the spring 1 more.... But we'll see. Do they sound as good as TOTL pairs? Not quite, but they aren't far off at all. It's like an average NFL team versus a good team, there really is a lot of parity. It's not like a high school team versus an NFL team.

I clearly understand about what you meant with strange staging attributes, veiled clarity (even they already very clear), bloated bass. Go back to bqeyz thread and do / try the mods, i really want to hear your impressions about cloth mesh removed Spring 1 vs Shuoer Tape. Im interested in Shuoer as well but still on the fence too.

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #228 of 3,872
Oct 30, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #229 of 3,872
I can't find anybody that sells it, unless it's eBay and the wait is long. I hear good things about them

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #230 of 3,872
My Shuoer Tape came in from Linsoul.After 24hr burn in this IEM is really money well spent.Amazing detail retreival vs P1 and most importantly, has nice clean bass and a wide stage on my Hiby R5 via the slow filter-phase compensated.

The tech in the Shuoer is legit and brings a new meaning to Hi-Res music.That Thriller walk from left to right channel & Lionel Ritchie - dancing on the ceiling sounds very realistic on this DAP + Shuoer Tape.

Watching movies via Bluetooth/LDAC is very enjoyable.I hear details in the left or right channels very very clearly.

No regrets here.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #231 of 3,872
I can't find anybody that sells it, unless it's eBay and the wait is long. I hear good things about them

Yes its Japan imported, alternatively you can look for Azla Sedna Earfit, they have same shape with Spiral dots, great shaped, great material but without dots (the dots are smoothing edges, but can be sounded dull for already smooth iem sounding and a bit -aka not so sharp imaging)

Oct 30, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #232 of 3,872
Yes its Japan imported, alternatively you can look for Azla Sedna Earfit, they have same shape with Spiral dots, great shaped, great material but without dots (the dots are smoothing edges, but can be sounded dull for already smooth iem sounding and a bit -aka not so sharp imaging)

I would go for the Azla Sedna, that's what I use for most of my iems.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #234 of 3,872
i thought this was a shuoer impression thread?

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #235 of 3,872
I'm listening to 7 pairs back to back to back... The tape might be the hardest pair to really form a coherent opinion on. It's got a level of detail only surpassed by my CL2, but it's not as natural sounding. It's got good dynamic range in a technical sense, but also is limited that way. Things are either loud or soft, not much in between.... It often comes off as a bit shouty in vocals, too much elevation there. Separation is good, not great like a multi BA or fast planar.

Overall they sound good, but definitely have some flaws. I think I'll take of the grill and put some foam in the nozzle, hopefully that helps the dynamic range issue and takes some edge of the vocals.

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #236 of 3,872
i can imagine that taking out the grills and adding damping would work. This same mod has been done to with fantastic results on many bright iems even JVC's FD01/02 and drop editions see dramatic improvement doing this. To those that have them does the grill even seem removable?

Oct 31, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #237 of 3,872
Just got mine last night. Haven't really put them through their paces yet, but so far I love them. I run them through on my chifi silver plated 2.5mm balanced cable and have run them out of an EarStudio 1000 with 2x voltage (no EQ or anything, LDAC 96/24, Tidal HiFi/Master). The Balanced out on my Cayin N5ii broke so it will be another day until I switch out to the SE cable to test on a dap. For now it's only ES1000 and a SMSL SU-8 --> Loxjie (with the upgraded russian tubes that are ever so popular :wink: ) Balanced out --> Shuoer Tape
For reference I have DM6, FiiO F9Pro, Ibasso IT01, Final E3000, 1More Triple (and Dual for that matter). Have auditioned Simgot EM2, DMG, Ikko oh01 and a few more. If anybody is interested in direct comparisons with any of those let me know. (Over ear: Hifi 4xx, Senn 6xx, AKG 7xx [yes, I went a little drop happy], OPPO PM3, AKG k240, Audeze Sine, ATX m40x)
They are fast, resolving, have a nice bass impact and texture -- My daily's have been the DM6, so getting back to something with a little bass thump is refreshing.
Tape's may have a little more coherent sound, while the DM6 sometimes feels like everything is artificially placed (which can be really awesome sometimes, and a little weird at times)
Also on that note, compared to the DM6, the Tape's treble is not as hot/glaring as some have said. TBH I really like the little shimmer that the tape has - just the right amount of bite. I've read some people mentioning a glare in the treble. Understanding everybody's ear and perception is different, and what their references are differ as well (like how I've been using DM6 which has a nasty glare in the 6Khz), the Tape's sound fine up top, compared to the DM6, which has some weird shimmer/glare/icy sound on the top shelf...
I also just got in a set of FLC 8n today. Haven't even unboxed yet but will be comparing as well.
All in all, for $130 I think the Tape is an excellent deal. Does take a little extra juice to drive though - at least compared to DM6.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #238 of 3,872
i can imagine that taking out the grills and adding damping would work. This same mod has been done to with fantastic results on many bright iems even JVC's FD01/02 and drop editions see dramatic improvement doing this. To those that have them does the grill even seem removable?
Seems pretty typical. I haven't done it yet but don't foresee any issue, it looks pretty standard issue.

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #239 of 3,872
Just got mine last night. Haven't really put them through their paces yet, but so far I love them. I run them through on my chifi silver plated 2.5mm balanced cable and have run them out of an EarStudio 1000 with 2x voltage (no EQ or anything, LDAC 96/24, Tidal HiFi/Master). The Balanced out on my Cayin N5ii broke so it will be another day until I switch out to the SE cable to test on a dap. For now it's only ES1000 and a SMSL SU-8 --> Loxjie (with the upgraded russian tubes that are ever so popular :wink: ) Balanced out --> Shuoer Tape
For reference I have DM6, FiiO F9Pro, Ibasso IT01, Final E3000, 1More Triple (and Dual for that matter).
Really interested in it01 comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

Back