Shuoer impressions thread
Apr 7, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #1,651 of 3,872
My Tape left iem is now running quiet, going back to amazon.

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #1,654 of 3,872
I figured something out with the EJ07. The engineers aligns the drivers correctly, but not the filters. I knew there was something wrong, for me. I managed to positioning the filters at the same distance as the drivernozzles. My english is not so good, sorry for that. The filters are know totally timecoherent and the stage is much wider and deeper and the voices are in front of me and not in my head. Now i like the EJ07 a lot. :)

Apr 7, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #1,656 of 3,872
Yes i could, but i had sandpapered the nozzle, so you can see not much. I can descripe what i done. I removed the filter of the estat drivers and pushed down the mid driver filter with a toothstrick. The filter is now there, where the triangular mid driver chamber begins. It sits on top of the triangular chamber. But you have to be very careful. When you push it to far, the filter get loose and falls down in the chamber. When you have done this, the sound is more detailed, because of the removed estat filter and it sounds more timecoherent. I have a spherical soundstage. I can hear things half a meter away from me. The singer is in front of me instead in my head. The imaging is more holographic. I'am very happy with this result. Please be very careful with this mod. Try at you own risk.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #1,657 of 3,872
Twisting and pushing your foam tips to get them flush with the nozzle opening on your EJ07 is a very bad idea. I have some cracks in my nozzle. Luckily they sound the same, but you have to be very careful, when you twist and push the tips.

Sorry to hear. What are you using to push the tips? I've swapped out the filters multiple times and with the removal tool I had no issues.

I have my mid filters flush to nozzle (same as when I got it)

Edit: oh you used a toothpick? Be careful not to break the mesh

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #1,658 of 3,872
Yes i could, but i had sandpapered the nozzle, so you can see not much. I can descripe what i done. I removed the filter of the estat drivers and pushed down the mid driver filter with a toothstrick. The filter is now there, where the triangular mid driver chamber begins. It sits on top of the triangular chamber. But you have to be very careful. When you push it to far, the filter get loose and falls down in the chamber. When you have done this, the sound is more detailed, because of the removed estat filter and it sounds more timecoherent. I have a spherical soundstage. I can hear things half a meter away from me. The singer is in front of me instead in my head. The imaging is more holographic. I'am very happy with this result. Please be very careful with this mod. Try at you own risk.
Moving the filter toward BA driver will decrease the damping of the filter, thus more high mid frequency response.
You can use damper with lower ohm value instead if you don't want to take the risk that pushing the damper too far, it should give you the similar result.
this method of tuning is discussed at sonion's 'Designing Earphones with Balanced Armature Receivers' document.
soni.png

https://www.sonion.com/wp-content/uploads/Documentation_Designing_Earphones-1.pdf

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #1,659 of 3,872
Sorry to hear. What are you using to push the tips? I've swapped out the filters multiple times and with the removal tool I had no issues.

I have my mid filters flush to nozzle (same as when I got it)

Edit: oh you used a toothpick? Be careful not to break the mesh

I pushed the filter on the edge of this little metal thing, not the mesh. If you removed the estat filter, then push the filter, that sits flush on the nozzle, down to the top of the triangular chamber. If you can take a photo of your nozzle with the driver, then i can mark you the position of the filter.

Apr 7, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #1,660 of 3,872
Moving the filter toward BA driver will decrease the damping of the filter, thus more high mid frequency response.
You can use damper with lower ohm value instead if you don't want to take the risk that pushing the damper too far, it should give you the similar result.
this method of tuning is discussed at sonion's 'Designing Earphones with Balanced Armature Receivers' document.

https://www.sonion.com/wp-content/uploads/Documentation_Designing_Earphones-1.pdf

Thank you for the info. I knew that, but i had to do that, because of the removed estat filter. If you remove the estat filter the timecoherency is shifted and i had correct it with this "trick". With all the filters the timecoherency was also not correct, because the EJ07 didn't have a deep stage or layering. With the filter mod this baby sounds like a surround system. I like it now more than the original filter configuration.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #1,661 of 3,872
I pushed the filter on the edge of this little metal thing, not the mesh. If you removed the estat filter, then push the filter, that sits flush on the nozzle, down to the top of the triangular chamber. If you can take a photo of your nozzle with the driver, then i can mark you the position of the filter.

I know what you're talking about but i believe stock was white filter but I changed it to grey. and leaving it at the tip was my fave. i've tried different positions already. i'm really happy with my results too

Apr 8, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #1,662 of 3,872
No problem. For me it just worked fine. Maybe i'am the only one how had problems with the stage depth. I don't know if the newer EJ07 has a different driver align or something else. Maybe the grey filter does a frequecy chance and it didn't work. Filtertuning and align of the filters and drivers is a complex thing. I really like it know, how my EJ07 sounds. Huge, realistic and with the perfect bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back