Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Oct 20, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #3,182 of 6,065
Has anyone tried the Westone tips (start and true fit tips) here? I'm curious how they compare with the other tips already mentioned here.

The star tips are fine, if they fit you. They're ok, I just found SpinFits gave a better, more comfortable fit and seal.

As for the true fit foams - I'm not a fan of these. In my experience, most foam tips seem to measure similarly, but the foam in these true fit tips can easily fold over the end of the nozzle and (partially) occlude the bore opening. You'd know if the nozzle were completely blocked, but you might not be aware of a partially-blocked nozzle. Look at the shape of the Comply foams or Shure olives - their design makes this problem much less likely.

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #3,184 of 6,065
Has anyone tried the Westone tips (start and true fit tips) here? I'm curious how they compare with the other tips already mentioned here.
Westone foarm is well fit and block noise. But it press quite hard to my ears, while I dont have loosen problem so I dont use. If some one feel loosen with stocks can try. Sound img is simillar to Shure olive foam tips. But, bass is abit gain. I feel it fit so tight that bass is lack of air to breath. For sq it is not good option IF no problem of loosing or fit. Westone rubber one is not good for bass. Bass is no more or less compare to Shure rubber tips but unreal, easy distort. Not kind of deep or solid bass... not good option, for me.

I cut Weston foarm by two ways. Tear top face and the other is cut bottom face thalen it is 99% same fit and same sound of Shure olive. Shure olive stock as the one in box, is quite good tip after all.

For change of sq Spin fit silicon does good job all bass and treble but doenst keep sound stage

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #3,185 of 6,065
got all true fit and star fit tips of different sizes. While the silicon tips sound similar to shure olives they don’t isolate quite well. While the foam tips (true fit) does a pretty good job with isolation with changing the SQ much like I would get from comply. I settled for the short, wide foam tip.

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #3,186 of 6,065
Personally, the westone foam tips are my favorite. The star tips sound find but don't isolate enough. I used to use the Shure black olives on other IEMs, but with the KSE I find that they're also not isolating enough.

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #3,187 of 6,065
Tried this combination setup... best for sound.
Hugo2 vol blue ( below purple, 2volt rms I believe) -> wa8 3tubes vol 5,5 -> kse1500 with inputpad 0db n limiter off...

Improve from hugo2 alone: bass improve alot,more visceral n deep, mid more thick n meaty.. high litte bit more soft, bad mastering / recording not problem anymore... more2 analog..

10012122.jpeg
Greetings. I do know they are iem. But have you ever experienced a headphone like experience with the Shure KSE1500?

Nov 4, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #3,188 of 6,065
I wanted to share a couple of tips with my fellow KSE1500 fans. The first is, literally a tip. This was first suggested by @Tranman409 on the SE846 thread - it's a new dual-flange tip from SpinFit, called the CP240:
ksetips2.jpg

I'm attaching some measurements below, along with some other tips I'd not included in my previous post (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shu...tatic-earphones.785377/page-207#post-13714398), plus the regular Shure Olives and SpinFit CP800 included for reference:

KSE_Tips2.png

Some brief observations:

1) The Shure triple flange tips are really outliers - and not in a good way. I had to check these measurements several times, because they looked so far off, but no - this is apparently what you get with these triple flange tips. I don't care for their sound at all. (Does anybody actually like and use these?)
2) The Symbo tips are a bit hard in the ear canals - I don't find them all that comfortable. They hugely exaggerate the treble, which could be awesome for the SE846, but I don't find that necessary or desirable for the KSE1500.
3) Regular SpinFits sound great, but do give a little hint of that exaggerated peak around 10 or 11 kHz (depending upon insertion depth), which can sometimes make cymbals sound a little thin.
4) Oooh - I like these new SpinFit CP240 tips! For a durable silicone tip, they're amazingly comfortable, they isolate like foam, and they even seem to sound quite like a good foam tip, i.e., they dampen the 10-11 kHz resonance peak, but give a bit more reach at either end of the spectrum. These might just be my new favorite KSE1500 eartips :) They aren't cheap and they only come one pair per packet, but being silicone, they should last. They're available from Amazon, and come with little silicone nozzle adaptors, which are needed for the KSE1500 earbuds, as the nozzles are too thin for the main body of the CP240 ear-tip. This is the link for the medium size:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VVRXHG1

These tips have a slightly longer reach than the regular SpinFits, and since they come with adapters to suit different nozzle diameters, these should be pretty versatile little tips.

--

The second tip I'd like to share is an album that was recently released on Bandcamp.com. This recommendation actually came from @spook76 - it was a recommendation he gave me before he passed away, and it's only in the last few weeks I've had time to download it and listen to it properly. The album is by Cosmograf, and it's called 'The Hay-Man Dreams':

https://cosmograf.bandcamp.com/

I'd guess it fits in the sort of genre Spook and I both liked (70's UK prog), but even if you're not into that genre, it's one of those albums that's so well recorded, it's worth having just for some really good quality test tracks. It's available as a download on bandcamp in 24-bit for less than the price of a regular CD and sounds awesome on the KSE1500. I particularly like tracks 2, 5 & 6, but Spook (in true prog fashion) felt it was best listened to as a whole. The following is Spook's review of The Hay-Man Dreams that he sent me, and put into words more eloquently than I could - I'm sure he wouldn't have minded me sharing this with you all:

"The Hay-May Dreams should be listened to as a contiguous whole as it is a pure concept album. You want wonderfully relaxing progressive music and have 45 minutes, 'Hay-Man Dreams' absolutely hits the spot. A Glenmorangie single malt scotch distilled as an album".

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #3,189 of 6,065
Greetings. I do know they are iem. But have you ever experienced a headphone like experience with the Shure KSE1500?

That's a tough question, because IEMs, closed-back cans and open-back cans are all very different listening experiences. Personally, even though there are other advantages to over-ear cans, I hear more detail from the KSE1500 than from my best over-ear cans (Utopia and HD800S).

Nov 4, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #3,190 of 6,065
0F8641C1-E64E-4798-B5D8-8C35C053A3D6.jpeg

Hi Csglinux,
Unfortunately, no KSE1500 on my end but everything else sounds like a fantastic recommendation! Cheers to Spook!:beerchug:

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #3,191 of 6,065
I wanted to share a couple of tips with my fellow KSE1500 fans. The first is, literally a tip. This was first suggested by @Tranman409 on the SE846 thread - it's a new dual-flange tip from SpinFit, called the CP240:

I'm attaching some measurements below, along with some other tips I'd not included in my previous post (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shu...tatic-earphones.785377/page-207#post-13714398), plus the regular Shure Olives and SpinFit CP800 included for reference:

Some brief observations:

1) The Shure triple flange tips are really outliers - and not in a good way. I had to check these measurements several times, because they looked so far off, but no - this is apparently what you get with these triple flange tips. I don't care for their sound at all. (Does anybody actually like use and like these?)
2) The Symbo tips are a bit hard in the ear canals - I don't find them all that comfortable. They hugely exaggerate the treble, which could be awesome for the SE846, but I don't find that necessary or desirable for the KSE1500.
3) Regular SpinFits sound great, but do give a little hint of that exaggerated peak around 10 or 11 kHz (depending upon insertion depth), which can sometimes make cymbals sound a little thin.
4) Oooh - I like these new SpinFit CP240 tips! For a durable silicone tip, they're amazingly comfortable, they isolate like foam, and they even seem to sound quite like a good foam tip, i.e., they dampen the 10-11 kHz resonance peak, but give a bit more reach at either end of the spectrum. These might just be my new favorite KSE1500 eartips :) They aren't cheap and they only come one pair per packet, but being silicone, they should last. They're available from Amazon, and come with little silicone nozzle adaptors, which are needed for the KSE1500 earbuds, as the nozzles are too thin for the main body of the CP240 ear-tip. This is the link for the medium size:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VVRXHG1

These tips have a slightly longer reach than the regular SpinFits, and since they come with adapters to suit different nozzle diameters, these should be pretty versatile little tips.

--

The second tip I'd like to share is an album that was recently released on Bandcamp.com. This recommendation actually came from @spook76 - it was a recommendation he gave me before he passed away, and it's only in the last few weeks I've had time to download it and listen to it properly. The album is by Cosmograf, and it's called 'The Hay-Man Dreams':

https://cosmograf.bandcamp.com/

I'd guess it fits in the sort of genre Spook and I both liked (70's UK prog), but even if you're not into that genre, it's one of those albums that's so well recorded, it's worth having just for some really good quality test tracks. It's available as a download on bandcamp in 24-bit for less than the price of a regular CD and sounds awesome on the KSE1500. I particularly like tracks 2, 5 & 6, but Spook (in true prog fashion) felt it was best listened to as a whole. The following is Spook's review of The Hay-Man Dreams that he sent me, and put into words more eloquently than I could - I'm sure he wouldn't have minded me sharing this with you all:

"The Hay-May Dreams should be listened to as a contiguous whole as it is a pure concept album. You want wonderfully relaxing progressive music and have 45 minutes, 'Hay-Man Dreams' absolutely hits the spot. A Glenmorangie single malt scotch distilled as an album".
Just tried the 240M as part of my tip rolling tryouts while on my weekend trip. They actually make the KSE1500 sound close to a natural sounding BA iem. retaining clarity and resolution and smoothing a few rough edges which sometines make electrostats sound thin and glary. It actually accentuates the low end in a good way. Probably due to better seal.

Fortunately, it is confortable when used with KSE. Not so when I use it with PP8

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #3,192 of 6,065
I wanted to share a couple of tips with my fellow KSE1500 fans. ....".

CP800-S is my favourite tip. It has better bass and treble while other section is unchanged from stock shure olive. There's a peak make thin and very light treble depending insertion depth and angle (to my ears). I like this peak! But it is not easy to achive(and keep stable) bcs of it only happen at certain depth and angle, which always changing by a litle move.

The album mentioned in ur post is nice!! Hearing on tidal hifi. Tnx

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #3,193 of 6,065

CP800-S is my favourite tip. It has better bass and treble while other section is unchanged from stock shure olive. There's a peak make thin and very light treble depending insertion depth and angle (to my ears). I like this peak! But it is not east to achive bcs of it only happen at certain depth and angle, which always changing by a litle move.

The album mentioned in ur post is nice!! Hearing on tidal hifi. Tnx

Oh, yes - I should have mentioned that it's also available on Tidal. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #3,194 of 6,065
CM171105-100614003.jpg
CM171105-100446001.jpg
Any one find dust (tiny fiber of cloth) inside acrylic body of ur kse unit ? I have both left and right.
It appear during use, not at begining. Dont know how and why.
So, I worry how about driver position, if there's any dust comes from sound port into it.
Btw inside unit is above 200Volts it may be sensitive with any dust

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #3,195 of 6,065
Hi everybody.
Is it possible to use kse's as just amplifier and connect another DAC?
Coz this DAC only support 24/96 but DSD and others. So my question is it possible to get benefit from these headphones just as headphones and advantages from another DAC???
Million thanx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back