Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Aug 25, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #3,092 of 6,065
Hissing Noise!!
Anyone experienced any hissing noise when using the KSE1500 through USB?
Hissing about 1/2 sec to 1-2 sec in some songs, then returns normal.

My setup
OnePlus 5 > USB-C OTG Adapter > Cable (USB~MicroUSB) > DAC
Application: Spotify - Normalize Volume OFF, Gapless OFF, Offline Mode ON
DAC: USB Charging OFF, Equalizer FLAT, Audio Limiter OFF, Fireware 1.2.2

Does anyone if it is problem with my setup? wrong OTG adapter? faulty DAC?
Line-in have no problem. Any help is appreciated.

And here I was considering possibly getting the KSE1500 if the hissing problem I'm having from the Flares Audio FlaresPro doesn't get resolved soon.

Please update here regarding the KSE1500, especially if/when the hissing problem on it gets fixed.

Aug 26, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #3,093 of 6,065
I talked with the distributor today, they attribute the problem to the quality of the Cable.
Since my setup is below:
Phone > OTG Adapter (USB-C to USB) > Cable (USB to Micro)

The distributor says they see alot of problem with USB styled headset, and many just have bad connections.
USB-C is even worst, as quality of cable and feature of cable varies alot.
Those mini adapter Micro>USB-C is basically useless. Some cable only charges, no data sync.
Some charges but not up to 3Amp....etc

I am waiting for below cables to arrive for testing, hopefully it will be solved.
- Belkin P-F2CU033
- First Champion FC-TC2BM

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #3,094 of 6,065
I am giving my Sensaphonics sleaves and I thought I would update my impressions:

1. I still think they are quite huge, and not very convenient to fit. The type of silicone is less smooth than on my customs, and thus harder to insert. Comfort-wise they are still very good

2. I maintain the impression that they change sound significantly versus any other tips I tried, but now, I would say that this change is quite clearly for the better. I still urge people to be careful, as it might not be to everyone's taste. To me, the KSE1500 with standard tips, either silicone or foam, are very revealing, and sound bad with at least 30% of my music (the less good recordings). With the custom tips, the KSE are still revealing, but fuller sounding and smoother somehow
All in all, I am not perfectly satisfied, but now I am more feeling this is worth it.
IMG_20170829_123927.png

Aug 30, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #3,095 of 6,065
A few weeks ago bought silicone tips from custom art for my kse1500 (in addition to a harmony 8.2). Yesterday they told me that it would take 2 to 3 more weeks to arrive, so when they arrive I will write my impressions. I currently use foam shure tips with three dots (larger size).

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #3,097 of 6,065
May I know if the Shure KSE1500 needs to be burned in. If yes, any recommended number of hours? I find the sound quality revealing but can be rather bright.

I didn't notice any significant changes through the time.

I feel that the source strongly affect the sound signature, I was not very impressed when I matched it with the WM1Z.
Right now my favorite combo is pairing it with the Hugo2.

Sep 10, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #3,099 of 6,065
I have some measurements I've been itching to share for ages and I'm afraid I just can't hold back any longer...

A while ago on this thread @ohotonge shared some measurements: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shu...tatic-earphones.785377/page-149#post-12588674 which garnered a bit of controversy. Some (i.e., Jude) heard the KSE1500 as having a "rich neutrality", while these measurements showed a fairly intense resonance peak around 10 kHz. Some folks above have been talking about finding the KSE1500 a bit bright and I've noticed that too on occasion, when using my favorite SpinFit tips. Some love the Sensaphonics custom sleeves - others, not so much. I recently made some measurements of the effects of different tips on the SE846 and the results surprised me - the differences were in some cases larger than the effect of changing tuning filters. I thought it would be interesting to do the same for the KSE1500:

kse1500_tips.jpg

Here are the measurements using REW and a Vibro-Veritas coupler with my StarTech sound card, and no EQ (flat) on the KSE1500 amp:

KSE1500_eartips.png

Now my measurements probably won't agree with others who've used different sound cards, mics, couplers, measurement software, etc. However, my measurements are repeatable and the deltas in terms of dB between eartips should be comparable. (Despite the above differences, my measurements with SpinFit tips are actually somewhat similar to those of Ohotonge's, give-or-take a slight shift in insertion depth <=> slight shift in resonance peak.)

Some thoughts:

1) What a difference a tip makes! In certain frequency ranges, the differences are larger than anything you could compensate for with the parametric EQ.
2) Sensaphonics custom sleeves are (for me) a total disaster. Now, everybody is going to have different SCS, so maybe they'll work for you, but in all likelihood, you'll see a drop in frequency and an increase in amplitude of the resonant peak due to the effective increase in bore length. Again, this might suite your preferences, but neither of these effects are something I'd want. They sound awful to me.
3) Comply foam and Shure olives result in a pretty similar FR.
4) SpinFits extend the low end (that's good), but also the treble - and perhaps by more than one might like.

I can totally see how somebody using Shure olive tips would hear a rich neutrality, whilst somebody else listening to the exact same track, from the exact same source, doing nothing different but using silcone tips, might hear something which is too bright.

Sep 10, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #3,100 of 6,065
I talked with the distributor today, they attribute the problem to the quality of the Cable.
Since my setup is below:
Phone > OTG Adapter (USB-C to USB) > Cable (USB to Micro)

The distributor says they see alot of problem with USB styled headset, and many just have bad connections.
USB-C is even worst, as quality of cable and feature of cable varies alot.
Those mini adapter Micro>USB-C is basically useless. Some cable only charges, no data sync.
Some charges but not up to 3Amp....etc

I am waiting for below cables to arrive for testing, hopefully it will be solved.
- Belkin P-F2CU033
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After testing with new Micro>USB-C cable.

- Belkin P-F2CU033

Both failed and still produce awful distortion in the music.
If anyone wants to try, please use Spotify (Track: Here Comes the Hotstepper/Ini Kamoze), the distortion is clearly visible in 9/10 times you play the music.

I am going to test it on other sources to confirm the finding. and also still waiting for 1 last OTG cable.
Maybe it is bad phone firmware (OnePlus 5), bad software (Spotify), or just bad DAC on the KSE1500.
Will report findings later.

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #3,101 of 6,065
I have some measurements I've been itching to share for ages and I'm afraid I just can't hold back any longer...

A while ago on this thread @ohotonge shared some measurements: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shu...tatic-earphones.785377/page-149#post-12588674 which garnered a bit of controversy. Some (i.e., Jude) heard the KSE1500 as having a "rich neutrality", while these measurements showed a fairly intense resonance peak around 10 kHz. Some folks above have been talking about finding the KSE1500 a bit bright and I've noticed that too on occasion, when using my favorite SpinFit tips. Some love the Sensaphonics custom sleeves - others, not so much. I recently made some measurements of the effects of different tips on the SE846 and the results surprised me - the differences were in some cases larger than the effect of changing tuning filters. I thought it would be interesting to do the same for the KSE1500:

Here are the measurements using REW and a Vibro-Veritas coupler with my StarTech sound card, and no EQ (flat) on the KSE1500 amp:

Now my measurements probably won't agree with others who've used different sound cards, mics, couplers, measurement software, etc. However, my measurements are repeatable and the deltas in terms of dB between eartips should be comparable. (Despite the above differences, my measurements with SpinFit tips are actually somewhat similar to those of Ohotonge's, give-or-take a slight shift in insertion depth <=> slight shift in resonance peak.)

Some thoughts:

1) What a difference a tip makes! In certain frequency ranges, the differences are larger than anything you could compensate for with the parametric EQ.
2) Sensaphonics custom sleeves are (for me) a total disaster. Now, everybody is going to have different SCS, so maybe they'll work for you, but in all likelihood, you'll see a drop in frequency and an increase in amplitude of the resonant peak due to the effective increase in bore length. Again, this might suite your preferences, but neither of these effects are something I'd want. They sound awful to me.
4) SpinFits extend the low end (that's good), but also the treble - and perhaps by more than one might like.

I can totally see how somebody using Shure olive tips would hear a rich neutrality, whilst somebody else listening to the exact same track, from the exact same source, doing nothing different but using silcone tips, might hear something which is too bright.

Thanks for sharing, quite interesting even if I am not good at reading graphs. For me the Sensaphonics make the Shure a good alrounder, easy on the ears. The Spinfits tend to make the sound quite harsh except on perfectly mastered tracks. Long complys are a good compromise. Westone Star tips are ok too

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #3,102 of 6,065

Some thoughts:

Great comparison sir. Thank you. Can you test the triple flange sleeves? how do they compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back