Shozy Alien+
Oct 31, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #481 of 539
Hey can anyone help. I have a sandisk sd card and loaded in entire library of MP3.

Only 98 folders are seen and rest are not loaded.

I can only assume alien+ has a folder or song limit?

I probably might have to be very selective of artists then.
Using latest september firmware.

idk about folder limits, but does not support mp3 format, only FLAC and WAV.

I don't think Alien+ is as strict, but I have habit from Alien Gold that I format my cards FAT32 and just convert everything to wav and remove tags and try to keep special characters out of file names just in case- don't think I've had any problems going this route.

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #482 of 539

I don't think Alien+ is as strict, but I have habit from Alien Gold that I format my cards FAT32 and just convert everything to wav and remove tags and try to keep special characters out of file names just in case- don't think I've had any problems going this route.
Luckily shozy alien + in latest firmware supports mp

It does now! Latest firmware it supports mp3. :p doh
Also I found issue. I need to scan the library. Discovered my songs

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #483 of 539
lol, nvm then

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #485 of 539
Also the red optical out is always on. Is it ever a vision hazard for it to be like that?

Unaware if there's a way to turn that off, I put one of those little rubber dust plugs in it. Also works as analog line-out.

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #486 of 539
Hey can anyone help. I have a sandisk sd card and loaded in entire library of MP3.

Only 98 folders are seen and rest are not loaded.

I can only assume alien+ has a folder or song limit?

I probably might have to be very selective of artists then.
Using latest september firmware.

Fancy seeing you here! :p

It does indeed have a folder limit (you can see it says "1 of 99" or something like that on the display.
I had exactly the same problem, then a moment of clarity as I figured out both the cause and the solution :D

So, there seems to be no limit to nesting folders.
So where for example I had 5 album folders by one artist, I just created an "Artist Name - Discography" folder and put all 5 folders in that one.
In this way, I was able to get it all working again.

Hopefully this could solve your problem! :)

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #487 of 539

I'm hoping you also have some WAV or FLAC files too?
Would be a shame not to let the Alien+ shine to it's fullest potential :D

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #488 of 539
I'm hoping you also have some WAV or FLAC files too?
Would be a shame not to let the Alien+ shine to it's fullest potential :D
I keep my lossless files for archiving at home. I keep lossy on the go.

I have 6 test logs from foobar showing that 128 kbps Opus and 256 VBR QAAC and 256 Lame encoder is transparent to me. I cannot tell difference between them.

But the folder trick really does help!! Thanks layman. Now it's confirmed 99 folders are the limit.

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #489 of 539

I have 6 test logs from foobar showing that 128 kbps Opus and 256 VBR QAAC and 256 Lame encoder is transparent to me. I cannot tell difference between them...

Same, and I bet this is true for the majority of lossless users if they actually took time to test themselves, placebo is incredibly real and MP3's have advantages where Lossless doesn't. For example, I can replay gain my collection to 93db (usually involves raising volume of older recordings and lowering volume of new releases) and thus my collection is more normalized for volume and stops me reaching for the volume controls on a DAP when out and about. I haven't been able to easily find a workaround like this for FLAC files.

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #490 of 539

I have 6 test logs from foobar showing that 128 kbps Opus and 256 VBR QAAC and 256 Lame encoder is transparent to me. I cannot tell difference between them.

But the folder trick really does help!! Thanks layman. Now it's confirmed 99 folders are the limit.

Yay, glad to have helped! :)

Regarding different encodings, when I'm alert and well-rested, my superlative sensitivity enables me to easily distinguish between every file type.
Unfortunately, I haven't slept well for months. I think somebody stuck a pea under my mattresses >.< :wink:

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #491 of 539
Yay, glad to have helped! :)

Regarding different encodings, when I'm alert and well-rested, my superlative sensitivity enables me to easily distinguish between every file type.
Unfortunately, I haven't slept well for months. I think somebody stuck a pea under my mattresses >.< :wink:
Are you saying you have evolutionary human ears beyond a normal person!

I have to admit that's amazing. :p

Nov 2, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #492 of 539
Are you saying you have evolutionary human ears beyond a normal person!

I have to admit that's amazing. :p

It was just humour unfortunately :p
I have never actually tested my ability to distinguish between different file types.
I feel I ought to be able to tell the difference, but probably everyone feels like that until they find out to their horror that they in fact suck at it :D
As David Bowie once sang, "I'm much too fast to take that test" :D

Nov 7, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #495 of 539
I have both.
Anything in particular?
Well I was able to demo the x5 iii and x7 ii at my local store and while I liked the musicality of the x5 I found it a bit too laid back and not dynamic enough. The x7 on the other hand sounded stunningly neutral with nice dynamic bass but I miss some of that AKM musicality. Now I would like to know where the Alien+ sits tonally compared to the fiios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back