Shozy Alien+
Nov 7, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #496 of 539
Well I was able to demo the x5 iii and x7 ii at my local store and while I liked the musicality of the x5 I found it a bit too laid back and not dynamic enough. The x7 on the other hand sounded stunningly neutral with nice dynamic bass but I miss some of that AKM musicality. Now I would like to know where the Alien+ sits tonally compared to the fiios.

It actually sits snug between an X7II and a Cayin i5

I thought the i5 had a warmth to a fault while the Shozy + is one of the better DAP's pre-EQ I ever heard.

Great sonics, weighty bass with no mid penalty. treble is crisp and clear.

This is a bell weather DAP. Folks that claim it cannot punch sonic wise with TOTL DAP are just hyping the gap size so they can fill it with b shiii claims.
I hate the G.U.I but the sound without EQ is on par with Calyx-M and that is my highest compliment.

Nov 8, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #497 of 539
It actually sits snug between an X7II and a Cayin i5

I thought the i5 had a warmth to a fault while the Shozy + is one of the better DAP's pre-EQ I ever heard.

Great sonics, weighty bass with no mid penalty. treble is crisp and clear.

This is a bell weather DAP. Folks that claim it cannot punch sonic wise with TOTL DAP are just hyping the gap size so they can fill it with b shiii claims.
I hate the G.U.I but the sound without EQ is on par with Calyx-M and that is my highest compliment.
Thank you for the information!

I have a few questions if you don't mind:
- Does the usb dac function support all sample rates? I didn't see a windows driver.
- Do you have any idea what the output impedance of the headphone output is?
- Do you still not rec the alien+ even though it plays more file formats now?

Nov 9, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #498 of 539
Thank you for the information!

I have a few questions if you don't mind:
- Does the usb dac function support all sample rates? I didn't see a windows driver.
- Do you have any idea what the output impedance of the headphone output is?
- Do you still not rec the alien+ even though it plays more file formats now?

i tried alien plus briefly and it didn't altered the sound of my ibasso it03 iem. it has 8 ohm impedance. i guess aliens output impedance is lower than 1.

i loved it's sound and i like minimal daps but alien feels like a unfinished product. ui is really ugly, controls are awkward. battery life is a disaster.

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #499 of 539
alienshozy.png

Sorry, I forgot to post my review on Head-fi

enjoy

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/shozy-alien.22260/reviews

regards
expat

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #501 of 539
Nov 17, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #503 of 539
Interesting that user impressions are so favorable on its sound quality despite the poor measurements would lead on to believe.

IDK if that was particularly favorable compared to non-audio specific gadgets like the phone & laptop, but they seemed to enjoy the apparent bass emphasis and appreciate the extra power.

I don't have super sensitive IEMs ATM so never really noticed hiss from noise floor unless I have it on pause with the volume jacked up. Never picked up on bass boost but I like extra subbass so maybe by brain is just thinking "this sounds right", or possibly the impedance affects how it sounds on some of my IEMs, also using the "short delay sharp rolloff" filter, wonder if that could affect it.

Would have been interesting to see how it measured though the line out and also through the headphone out at lower gain settings. Would also have liked to see the different filters other than "sharp rolloff"- have been wondering if/how they affect FR measurement and the waveform measuremnt, since they seem to have a pretty audible effect to me when I switch them but there's no way i could compare them volume matched like in a measurement.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #504 of 539
Guys I have a problem with my alien+. Sometimes while music is playing, it glitches (stops) for about one second and after that the sound is... different. I didn't know what does that mean at first but I know now: dap then switches sides. Sounds from left side are in right speaker and vice versa. Anyone of you ever encountered this strange issue?

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #505 of 539
Interesting that user impressions are so favorable on its sound quality despite the poor measurements would lead on to believe.

Interesting indeed to me, thought likely not in the way you meant it.

The things that got me were the battery comments and the excuse for opening it up. I don't believe the words stated " As I mentioned, my SD card got jammed necessitating opening the Alien+ to get inside it" :thinking:

and don't trust the accuracy of any of it.

I think it sounds awesome. Hate the horrific U.I. but sound wise it is great.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #507 of 539

It's a niche within a niche, since DAPs are already niche. Most people who have it seem to like how it sounds, but if you can't see any use case (compact source w/ a lot of power) or design appeal (I actually enjoy using the basic interface & design) there's really no reason to have it. I don't think that reviewers measurements are comprehensive for me to draw conclusions, but if you have that philosophy & all you want is measurably transparent audio, a phone or a laptop or a Clip+ and maybe an amp is probably all you need anyway? save yourself $400 :shrug:

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #508 of 539
It's a niche within a niche, since DAPs are already niche. Most people who have it seem to like how it sounds, but if you can't see any use case or design appeal, there's really no reason to have it. I'm not sure that reviewers measurements are comprehensive, but if you have that philosophy & all you want is measurably transparent audio, a phone or a laptop or a Clip+ and maybe an amp is probably all you need anyway? save yourself $400 :shrug:
yeah, those graphs will all look different under different loads and types of headphones, etc.

Though a Laptop, Phone or Sansa Clip+ even should be enough for transparent audio. Though some daps are nice for those who want fast clicky physical buttons you can push in your pocket, or dedicated device to play audio.

Dec 13, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #509 of 539
Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #510 of 539
It's a niche within a niche, since DAPs are already niche. Most people who have it seem to like how it sounds, but if you can't see any use case (compact source w/ a lot of power) or design appeal (I actually enjoy using the basic interface & design) there's really no reason to have it. I don't think that reviewers measurements are comprehensive for me to draw conclusions, but if you have that philosophy & all you want is measurably transparent audio, a phone or a laptop or a Clip+ and maybe an amp is probably all you need anyway? save yourself $400 :shrug:
I'm not a stranger to niche DAPs as my favorite DAPs are those that prioritize musicality over all else: Altmann Tera, Venturecraft Valoq, Lotoo PAW Gold and QP2R. Hence I got interested in the Shozy Alien+. The review got me worried that the internal layout created noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back