Shouldn't An Analytical Sound Be Superior?
Aug 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:
Does a concert sound analytical?

Depends on what kind of concert...  They can always "tune" (not really a tune) it to be analytical.  If they do though, no one will show up XD  Modern concerts (for modern genres) nowadays like to boost different areas...  

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Depends on what kind of concert...  They can always "tune" (not really a tune) it to be analytical.  If they do though, no one will show up XD  Modern concerts (for modern genres) nowadays like to boost different areas...  

I do live sound for bands once and a while and all they keep screaming for is "MOAR BASS!!!"

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #18 of 49
Quote:
I do live sound for bands once and a while and all they keep screaming for is "MOAR BASS!!!"

LOL...  And at the concert, I'm like, that's enough bass :p  I don't get the huge craze about having loads of bass...  I really don't.

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #19 of 49
If any audio setup (DAC-amp-phones/speakers) doesn't make the recording sound like I'm at a concert, if it doesn't put me there, it failed.
Setups that are called analytical never failed to fail in my book.

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #20 of 49
I would say that a sound that seems more "natural" rather than analytical would be the best sound signature. But then again it's up to debate as to what's natural sounding. I tend to find open headphones to be the most realistic sounding headphones. Something along the lines of the UR 55 or 40 by Koss, or probably something way more expensive but still open
tongue.gif
. Some of the lower end koss drivers manage to get a brilliantly natural, open sound.

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #22 of 49
You forget music is for enjoyment. It's not a test, or something you have to learn. So there is no reason  to analyze.

At the end of the day, its what you prefer. So figure out your ideal sound signature.

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:
You forget music is for enjoyment. It's not a test, or something you have to learn. So there is no reason  to analyze.

At the end of the day, its what you prefer. So figure out your ideal sound signature.

Exactly. If you take it to the extreme you are then not really listening for musical enjoyment but to just judge a piece of work. That is getting too technical IMO and would take away from my enjoyment of music. If anything I prefer a natural and effortless sound signature over neutral. If I can get all the detail of a neutral signature but more enjoyment, then why not?

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #24 of 49
An overly analytical headphone can definitely get tiresome to listen to, same with an overly colored headphone. I tend to enjoy the middle-ground between analytical and colored. An organic sound is really delish.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:
An overly analytical headphone can definitely get tiresome to listen to, same with an overly colored headphone. I tend to enjoy the middle-ground between analytical and colored. An organic sound is really delish.

Again, personal preference. The best advice to a budding audiophile is to just get out there and find your sound signature.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #29 of 49
Yeah...for me, I've found that I don't have to go too far beyond the koss porta pros or the sennheiser px models to get the perfect sound. I do have a pair of V6's on hand for watching movies or transcribing, but the smaller portables are perfect for just enjoying stuff.

I've tried and very breifly owned some much much more expensive headphones (and I do have an amplifier), but the sound wasn't better ENOUGH to justify the huge amount of money it was compared to the small price tag of something like the headphones I've mentioned.

I even tried out the hd 25s and I still prefer the PX 200 IIs to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back