Should you tip at a partial service restaurant?
Jan 16, 2011 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
Today, I went to a local restaurant where you place an order at the front counter and pay for your meal at that time.

After you order and pay, someone brings the food to your table and they also bus your table when you're done. They don't check on you, refill drinks, etc. while you're eating.

However, I noticed that someone left a tip on the table after finishing. I didn't.

I only tip at full-service restaurants. One where a waiter takes your order, checks periodically to see if you need anything, then handles the payment after you're done. If I'm waited on, I always give 20% or $3, whichever is more.

But am I in the wrong about these partial service restaurants? Should I leave something because the meal was brought to me and I didn't have to clean up? If so, do you leave 20%? Would a lower amount be OK because you weren't fully waited on?

The place I went to has great food and the staff is really nice. I don't want to screw them over, but I'm not sure if a tip is justified when you're not being waited on.

Thoughts and opinions, anyone?

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 21
That doesn't sound quite like a buffet because all they do is bus the table but I normally just leave $1 unless they've been very attentive with quickly removing my plate when I go back for more. I figure even if they are paid minimum wage a buck or two isn't going to break me.  

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 21
i give tips depending on the service and the hospitality i get. but i tip no more than five dollars. keep in mind, i have never been to a fine dining/fancy restaraunt.

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 21
Usually at places like this if I see a tip jar by the counter I'll drop a few bucks in but I don't think its expected the same as a full service restaurant.  AFAIK, waiters at full service restaurants only get paid a few bucks an hour and rely on tips to bring them up to or above the minimum wage mark.  I don't think the partial service restaurants have the same considerations but I could be wrong.  

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 21
I probably wouldn't. I've only been to one place like that and it's called Fuddruckers which is basically a burger joint. You get the food and pay at the counter and then someone buses the table after you leave. I think something like tips is if you are waited on so if someone takes your order, brings you food, refills drinks, etc.

What kind of restaurant was it?

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 21
Sounds like Pat n Oscars. I eat there normally so I leave a tip when I have a few bucks in my pocket. Full service restaurants I leave about 20% tip.

Quote:
Today, I went to a local restaurant where you place an order at the front counter and pay for your meal at that time.

After you order and pay, someone brings the food to your table and they also bus your table when you're done. They don't check on you, refill drinks, etc. while you're eating.

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 21
Sounds like a restaurant up here in Toronto that I recently went to. I personally don't feel like I should be tipping due to the level of service, yet they slap on a mandatory 12% service charge. Colour me not impressed. Service was not great, and food was mediocre. I feel that the tip is representative of a customer's level of satisfaction of a restaurant.

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 21
Sounds like Stonefire Grill.

I would usually leave a partial tip, maybe 10%.

But I don't leave 20% at a full service restaurant unless the service warrants it.  If I get great service, I'll leave 20%.  Average service - 15%.  Below average - 10%.  Poor - 5% - 0%.

Service seems to be lacking in the U.S. these days.  People shouldn't be rewarded for that.

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 21
That seems really cruel, given these kids on waitstaff are making maybe $2.10/hour. 

I always tip 20% as a rule, unless the server him/herself is really poor.  even when food takes forever, I realize this is a kitchen issue, and the front of house staff should not be punished for it. 

Quote:

But I don't leave 20% at a full service restaurant unless the service warrants it.  If I get great service, I'll leave 20%.  Average service - 15%.  Below average - 10%.  Poor - 5% - 0%.

Service seems to be lacking in the U.S. these days.  People shouldn't be rewarded for that.

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
That seems really cruel, given these kids on waitstaff are making maybe $2.10/hour. 

I always tip 20% as a rule, unless the server him/herself is really poor.  even when food takes forever, I realize this is a kitchen issue, and the front of house staff should not be punished for it. 

Quote:

I'm not talking about the kitchen staff, I'm talking about the service of the waiter.  Isn't that obvious, given you tip the waiter?

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 21
Normally, this considered a quick service restaurant. It is not expected to give a certain percentage for the tip. It may depend on how acceptable the service is for you. Yes, it is true waiters receive minimum wages and get by through tips

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #14 of 21
If it's a sit down I will always leave at least 20% unless the service is terrible...then maybe 15%, but it has to be pretty bad for that...Good service and I may go as high as 30%.  I know that's considered high for most people, but a good waiter/waitress usually works hard at making the experience as pleasurable as possible.  For something like Uncle Erik is describing I'd probably leave 15%. /shrug

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 21
I'm still a little torn on this one. Full service gets at least 20%, but I'll go higher for exceptional service. Some of the cheap places I go to end up being 50% or better - one place with a $2.99 breakfast gets almost 100% because I'm not leaving 60¢ for service.

I might start leaving $1 or $2 at this place. I can't quite justify a full tip and I'm not sure if the employees are getting the waiter's slave wage or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back