Should you tip at a partial service restaurant?
Jan 18, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #17 of 21
I have relatives in the sevice industry. They leave 30% for good service, sometimes more. It's rubbed off on me and I tip well at places I frequent. It's worth it. Service is wonderful at my favorite bar. My beer is usually ready between the time I walk in and get to the bar. Getting served isn't a problem when it's crowded, either. A few restaurants serve me faster than any fast food place.

A few extra dollars are worth it. I never complain or cause trouble. If a place is bad, I don't go back. If you treat the good places right and keep going back, you get treated really well.

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #19 of 21
About the tip for less-than-full-service:
I generally leave something at the Chinese buffet places I go to. Somebody keeps the water glass filled, brings tea, busses the table, etc...
Not a strict percentage, but a few dollars. I'm sure the help can use it, and I can afford it , for now.

I draw the line at McDonalds-type places where they bring the food to the table if there is a delay....
Most of those spots, fellow customers might get to the tip before the busboy.....

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #20 of 21
I worked in the restaurant bizz many years ago and in a "full service" shop a server is paid around $4.00/hr and is supposed to claim 15% of the total of their sales according to the US tax laws. In the type of shop Eric is talking about it would seem they are all payed at least minimum wage so no tip is required. As the same with most folks here I will leave a couple bucks if it is warranted. Az....did you know that in the 70's Canadians did not tip as a rule, that has since changed but it was a fact....I lived in Buffalo NY and waitresses dreaded a table of Canadians because of it.

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
did you know that in the 70's Canadians did not tip as a rule, that has since changed but it was a fact....I lived in Buffalo NY and waitresses dreaded a table of Canadians because of it.

"as a rule" ??? This is complete BS. I was born in the 40s -grew up in Ontario- and my parents always tipped on the few occasions when we could afford to eat in a restaurant. Certainly I was taught to tip 10% (later 15%) - in fact it was like a math quiz a few times as the kids had to work it out 'in our heads'. By the time I was working (60s), everybody I knew always tipped in restaurants and bars - even in Buffalo!
wink.gif

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back