Should the U.S., Myanmar and Liberia be encouraged to go metric?
Jan 23, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #76 of 116
How many fingers do the vast majority of this planets population have?
10!
how many millimetres in one centimetre?
how many centimetres in one decimetre?
how many decimetres in one metre?
10!
milli means thousandth, centi means hundredth, deci means tenth. EASY
how many metres in one kilometre?
1000!
kilo means 1000 (10^3). If you want to you can use decametre (10) and hectametre (100)
Then you've got the same system for volume and weight, identical systems actually.

So, how many inches in one foot? how many feet in one yard? how many yards in one mile? 12, 3 and 1760!
how many US ounces in one US pound? how many US pounds in one stone? how many US pounds in one short ton? 16, 14, and 2000!

I hope you all see my point here.

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #77 of 116
^yes, with imperial, you actual have to know how many of one unit make the next biggst unit because they are all different

i may have never used a nano litre [i have but nevermind] but i know its 1x10^-9L or a nano metre again 1x10^9m. hmm a nano second? hmm

tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #78 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many fingers do the vast majority of this planets population have?
10!
how many millimetres in one centimetre?
how many centimetres in one decimetre?
how many decimetres in one metre?
10!
milli means thousandth, cent means hundredth, deci means tenth. EASY
how many metres in one kilometre?
1000!

Excellent argument!
beerchug.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #83 of 116
i use a lot of metric becuase of all the science classes i take. mostly weight though. For everything i use the imperial system. For measuring height, feet and inches are more convientant to visulize. I can't really imagine how tall 164cm is. the problem is that decimeters isnt really used which is closer to a foot. for smaller lengths, centimeters works fine. oh chemistry class.

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #84 of 116
We got taught metric in school over 30 years ago.
Even the drug dealers in the street know metric.
A kilo of Cocain, a gram of cocain, 28 grams to an ounce of weed, a dollar bill weighs 1 gram.

We shouldnt have to give up the system we are used to though, but its a good idea to learn both, just as i think its good to know other languages.

But nobody "forces" the USA do anything.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #85 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the only reason americans should use it is becasue they want to and its easier to use, that said for something i still cant use metric and i grew up with it like peoples height and weight, metric measurements mean nothing to me

Yes, but you are Scottish so that explains why you can't use it.

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #87 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no reason for americans not to learn something almost all people in the world already knew.

reminds me of a joke....
wink.gif

what do you call someone who speaks 3 languages?
trilingual.

what do you call someone who speaks 2 languages?
bilingual.

what do you call someone who speaks 1 language?
an american.

wink.gif
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #88 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We shouldnt have to give up the system we are used to though, but its a good idea to learn both, just as i think its good to know other languages.

It is easier if you just use one system only. Don't convert, just think in metric and it comes easy.

It may seem good to know other languages but it is not actually good for your thinking ability. It is better to think in one language and not 2 or 3. I read that in an article somewhere a while back so it is not my own idea.

Feb 18, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #89 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somehow 'First Down, 9.14 meters to go' just doesn't have a good ring to it.

don't think you ever have to worry about hearing that. that is an american football reference? pretty sure that will never change and im sure that the country outside of usa that plays it plays american style too so in yards.

however, this thread is treading dangerously close to bashing and politics etc.

in canada, we are messed up too. all official stuff is metric but people who never ever use feet for anything else say personal height in feet. i get my head in a tizzy. 1,85 is so much easier than 6,2 (except that there is no 6,2) feet. metric is easier because no need for fractions.

but imperial is cooler because it is mysterious.

Feb 18, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #90 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is easier if you just use one system only. Don't convert, just think in metric and it comes easy.

It may seem good to know other languages but it is not actually good for your thinking ability. It is better to think in one language and not 2 or 3. I read that in an article somewhere a while back so it is not my own idea.

The need to do unit conversions also adds to the cost of doing business. Maybe not as much as currency conversions, but still a significant consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back