Should the U.S., Myanmar and Liberia be encouraged to go metric?
Jan 23, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #46 of 116
Hell yea!! The Metric system makes much more sense than the Imperial system. For one, measurement conversions are far easier with units of 10. Compared to 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, etc. Also, Metric to US/Imperial conversions are a PITA, unnecessary math for a ridiculous reason. Also, Metric is scientific and I like things to be scientific and rational. I'm one of the few people in the United States who still believes in Science.
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #48 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So who's going to pay for this billion-dollar transformation?

Spend less in military, spend more on the transformation?

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #50 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So who's going to pay for this billion-dollar transformation?

That's why it won't happen. They tried doing it gradually in the 70s and it got dropped in the 80s. But even the gradual approach they were doing wasn't really going to work. They were just doing highway signs and car speedometers in both measurements. That did nothing for weight, volume, etc.

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #51 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one's who want metric pay for it!
The rest of us will set back,and buy goodies,and enjoy the music.

That's what my workshop tutor said to us to sum up what the States wanted in return for using the metric system.
tongue.gif

But why bother. The States will use the Metric system sooner or later anyways.

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #52 of 116
why bother about this when the world has yet to start trading in gold

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #53 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what my workshop tutor said to us to sum up what the States wanted in return for using the metric system.
tongue.gif

But why bother. The States will use the Metric system sooner or later anyways.

We have been using it for many years,we just didn't tell the rest of the world yet.LoL We use it in Science,medicine,engineering,cooking.You name it.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #54 of 116
Don't really care but I don't think it should be forced. If anything should be forced it should be the use of the English language. That is official but is also a whole other can of worms.

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #55 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see how the foot is superior to the meter. IMHO, the imperial system just fails at small numbers. 1/32, 1/64, 1/128 and etc. Sorry, I don't have a calculator ready all the time to accurately get that down to decimal numbers. 1.2 nanometers. Oh I know what that is. 0.0000000012 meters. And look! I didn't even need to use a calculator to get it down to that many decimal places!

The Imperial system has a perfectly good unit to measure small distances in the mil. Perfectly sensible unit for measuring small stuff. As far as easy conversion, I do a bit of drafting stuff at work, and I've never worked on anything that needed measurements from nanometers to meters. Same for mils to yards. It's possible I guess, but rather rare. Really, the only time that conversion between such differently sized units came up was during metric drills in high school.

Also not really sure why you'd need go go down to decimals when given fractions, unless it's for "so I can". Easy enough to convert up and down when combining various fractions.

As far as the superiority of Imperial units in daily life, it's pretty easy to estimate measurements since you already have the tools on your body. Feet for foot, thumb for inch, and stride for yard. Metric you got the meter and the centimeter. Meter's easy since it's a direct sub in for the yard. Centimeter, not so much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire
Fahrenheit as well. I don't see how it is "better" than the Celcius or even the Kelvin. And how can be cutting of 273.xxxK to create the Celcius be a bad thing? As if the Fahrenheit doesn't reach more than 100 Degrees Fahrenheit in some places in the States as well.

It's pretty simple. In the Fahrenheit system, it's damn cold if it's under 0 and damn hot if it's over 100. Perfectly sensible human scale. Not so much with Kelvin.

Conversion of Kelvin to Celsius ain't bad, but Celsius ain't Metric and we're talking Imperial to Metric.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, Metric is scientific and I like things to be scientific and rational.

Metric is so scientific that the basis of the system, the meter, was dictated as 1/10,000,000 of circumference of the earth through the North Pole, South Pole, and Paris. Or, rather, the distance between two marks on a certain platinum-iridium bar since they weren't quite capable of correctly measuring the circumference of the earth at that time. For some reason, that sounds just a mite bit arbitrary to me.

Now though, it's no longer based on that platinum-iridium bar. Rather, scientists keep trying to redefine it into more and more exotic and stable forms while keeping the exact same measurement for the meter. I believe pseudo-scientific is a better description for all this nonsense given how arbitrary the meter was to begin with.

Decimalization used to be more rational when we were still doing huge amounts of calculations by hand. But that's no longer the case. Now, it mostly burns processor cycles to convert base 2 calculations into nice neat base 10 results with round off errors. Which, much like metric to Imperial conversions, can also cause nasty errors as shown with the botched Patriot interception during Gulf War 1.

Computers can, however, properly compute fractions with 2^nth denominators, which are rather common in Imperial measurement usage. All those 16ths and 64ths that give Imperial system users such grief are handled perfectly by computers.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #56 of 116
Marvin.. You do know dividing things by 10 is much easier than dividing things by 12, don't you?
tongue.gif

The problem with the "body instruments" like your thumb and foot is well, they differ from one being to the other.
tongue.gif

Pergh. 0 to 25 is also a perfectly fine human scale as well.
Below 15 is cold. Above 25 is hot. Like you said. We don't need so much of an accuracy in real life situations. So why use bigger numbers?
tongue.gif
That's for me though.
tongue.gif
Seriously, Celcius is just an easier way of counting Kelvins in real life situations.
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #58 of 116
When my uncle taught me how to make noodles, he said I needed 1 kati of flour and 4 tahils of water. Awesome.

I think the "which is better metric or imperial" debate is a bit of a red herring. I'm pro-standardization more than pro-metric per se. Maybe this talk of "force" is a little uncomfy, but surely we agree that agreeing on a unit of measure is better than disagreeing? I'd like for there to be one "billion", one "gallon", etc. It's terribly confusing, living out of the UK and US, but reading/watching stuff from both, trying to figure out what you folk mean.

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #59 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderwall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess we should enforce a global language standard as well then?

They already have. If you deal in international politics and business then English is a must have skill. Perhaps "force" was the wrong word to use. How about "encouraged" instead?

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #60 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's pretty simple. In the Fahrenheit system, it's damn cold if it's under 0 and damn hot if it's over 100. Perfectly sensible human scale. Not so much with Kelvin.

In Fahrenheit the freezing point of water is 32 and in Celsius it is 0. When the temperature is below zero then we know it is damn cold out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back