Should the U.S., Myanmar and Liberia be encouraged to go metric?
Feb 19, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #106 of 116
As a graphic designer I would love to stop converting fractions to decimals and the other way around. Luckily the ruler I use has fractions on it. Its such a pain to find 23/32"

All the good printing presses are metric as well...

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #107 of 116
Hehe

Don't forget that the Egyptian pyramids were built with "cubits" and are accurate to within a couple millimeters. :wink:

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #108 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by V-Duh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. EVERYONE'S computers effectively report values in base-10, not some weird quasi-base-12 system.

That's what it reports in but is programmed in base 16. Hexadecimal math is used in computer programming which is base 16. They do that to cut down on the length of the code.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #109 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by BauhausBold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a graphic designer I would love to stop converting fractions to decimals and the other way around. Luckily the ruler I use has fractions on it. Its such a pain to find 23/32"

All the good printing presses are metric as well...

I used to work on a 5 color Heidelburg and the sheet size was in inches and blanket and packing plate paper thickness was in thousands of an inch. We only used metric for ink mixing. That was some years ago though.

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #110 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what it reports in but is programmed in base 16. Hexadecimal math is used in computer programming which is base 16. They do that to cut down on the length of the code.

base-16?

I thought digital computers worked at the base-2 binary level.

hex is just a 'convenient grouping' for us humans. but drawing boundaries at the bit level varies. sometimes you use IEEE floating point (not hex, certainly!) and sometimes 'int' and sometimes 'long int' and so on.

to say computers 'work in hex' is pretty misleading.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #111 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to work on a 5 color Heidelburg and the sheet size was in inches and blanket and packing plate paper thickness was in thousands of an inch. We only used metric for ink mixing. That was some years ago though.

They are still in inches....... Not that big of a deal imo.

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #112 of 116
I would also like the UK and Australia to switch to the right hand side traffic.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #114 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
base-16?

I thought digital computers worked at the base-2 binary level.

hex is just a 'convenient grouping' for us humans. but drawing boundaries at the bit level varies. sometimes you use IEEE floating point (not hex, certainly!) and sometimes 'int' and sometimes 'long int' and so on.

to say computers 'work in hex' is pretty misleading.

I said, "computer programming" and not computers, big difference and I didn't mislead at all. You just misunderstood what I meant. Machine language is binary (o and 1) but it gets converted to hex because it is a lot shorter to work with. That's why if you look inside a binary file with an editor the editor is called a hex editor.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #115 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would also like the UK and Australia to switch to the right hand side traffic.
evil_smiley.gif

Blame the Romans for that, but I agree with you.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #116 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by BauhausBold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are still in inches....... Not that big of a deal imo.

Yea, had to be because paper manufacturers always use imperial, even in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back