Should silver-plated copper cables be avoided?
Oct 31, 2020 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mediahound

Headphoneus Supremus
I have seen two sources stating that silver-plated copper should be avoided in cabling due to the two materials interacting with each other over time and causing oxidation.

One is a study from NASA here:

https://nepp.nasa.gov/docuploads/97164203-A4FB-479A-A075C918D51DD81E/ESA Red Plague.pdf

The other is from Ray Kimber:

Silver-plated copper seems to be one of the most popular types of cables used such as for headphones cables.

Thoughts?

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 8
Would not bother me if it is true. I buy copper cables and leave silver for the tableware :D

Nov 1, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #3 of 8
I hate the way SPC cables sound, never liked 1 and i have had a few...

Nov 1, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 8
I hate the way SPC cables sound, never liked 1 and i have had a few...

Could be because they deteriorated already.

Nov 1, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 8
Could be because they deteriorated already.
No they were new....It just sounds like garbage to me...maybe something with my ear canal. i bought the Leonidas II and never looked back.

Nov 1, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #6 of 8
No they were new....It just sounds like garbage to me...maybe something with my ear canal. i bought the Leonidas II and never looked back.
The question remains. Maybe the silver and copper react immediately :wink:

Nov 1, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 8
Nov 1, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 8
I have seen two sources stating that silver-plated copper should be avoided in cabling due to the two materials interacting with each other over time and causing oxidation.

One is a study from NASA here:

https://nepp.nasa.gov/docuploads/97164203-A4FB-479A-A075C918D51DD81E/ESA Red Plague.pdf

The other is from Ray Kimber:

Silver-plated copper seems to be one of the most popular types of cables used such as for headphones cables.

Thoughts?

If this contact bothers some, than the soldering junctions are much more of an issue.

Copper oxidizes fairly easily, so it needs to be protected, and plating it with silver is a good idea. If the coating is pure silver (and not alloy) and thick enough not to leave exposed copper surface upon usual handling - it works well, as with all the plating with a more noble (less reactive) metal.

Those who claim that they can hear the difference between "pure copper" and spc are the very least not comparing "apple to apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back