Should I sell some of my gear to fund an Omega Mk1 ??
Jan 11, 2011 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AllsWell

100+ Head-Fier
What do you guys think ?

I think there's something about the Stax sound that's captured me, I don't know what it is but its definitely different.
I have a bunch of headphones now and a worthy amp.
I think at first I was thinking along the lines of just collecting, but now it seems like my mind/ears have changed to wanting only one good thing rather than jumping around from multiple things (headphones).

I'd rank my headphones like this :
Lambda Basic > SR325is ≥ AD900 > HD650

Amps like this:
SA 424 > HA 160

I'm using flac files and foobar2000 with "asio4all" and i've got some Cardas cables running around.

I believe I know what "quality" is by now and can identify and differentiate the quality of music I listen to, etc.

So maybe I should sell "everything" ( well maybe not my SR325 ( they were my first ... sentimental reasons :p ) and put the money towards a "final" ( for now at least ) pair of great headphones like the Stax Omega Mk1. ?

I'd like to hear your opinions ( just out of curiosity ). What would you guys do ?

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 10
No one has an opinion ?
( 13 people looked / read this thread and not one of them bothered to say anything ?? odd, i guess that's to be expected here )

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 10
Hi, you're talking about the Omega 2 Mk1 right? Judging by your ranking you seem to enjoy bright headphones (correct me if I'm wrong). I for one wouldn't call the O2 Mk1 dark at all but it's certainly darker than the Nova line (leave alone the SR325 and the AD900). Much more bass and low mids to be more specific. So you'll have to decide whether it's what you want or not. The O2 can definitely substitute all your headphones even with a modest amp IME (not sure about the SR-X though), it's an incredible allrounder.

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 10
Have you listened to the O2 Mk. 1 yet?

I like my pair well enough, but I enjoy the HD-800 and K-1000 more. You should listen to them to make sure they're what you want, as well as other headphones, too.

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 10
I'll have to listen to them before I make that sort of investment of course.

Yes, I meant the Omega2 Mk1.

I do think I tend to slide more towards brighter sounding headphones, but I'm always open to other "sounds". Before I do decide to make such an investment, of course I'll have to research the heck out of whatever it is I plan on buying.

I just wanted to see what someone else might do in my position ( just out of curiosity is all ).

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 10
GREAT GEAR NEVER REALLY GOES OUT OF STYLE, OR STOPS Ones ENJOYMENT ..........JMO
Quote:
Have you listened to the O2 Mk. 1 yet?
I like my pair well enough, but I enjoy the HD-800 and K-1000 more. You should listen to them to make sure they're what you want, as well as other headphones, too.

AllsWell, I look back with regrets to the many GREAT Hi-Fi- Equipment,  that I traded or sold to buy a new piece "THAT I JUST Knew" would take me closer to the music (as they say)...Now 1st I must remind you that I'm a lot older, and music / Equipment are my only hobbies and I've got a Bit more money NOW (40+yrs) on the job..... But when you're young and think you need  a new Piece of Audio Equip. many times, people need the funds for their upgrade, SO IT'S TRADING/SELLING TIME... I'd search out the really great gear you know will bring you many yrs. of enjoyable Tunes down the road...Especially the well made/sounding Equip. Keep that gear   I whole hearted  believe what Uncle Erik said, you have to LISTEN ....I, find myself, like him Getting way more enjoyment with my HD-800, then anything I've tried or have owned (even the best Stax stuff) so listen......make sure you really enjoy the sound and Musical pleasure they bring you.........  PS I knew exactly how the HD-800's sounded  with my headphone system!  Am I selling my HD-650's .......NO, Now that might change if I need a kidney......Just found this in another forum from immtbiker, 
Actually, they are the MDR-R10's. I swore I'd never sell my pair but life got in the way. It was one of the saddest days in my life. There will never be another headphone like it, ever. 
frown.gif
 College tuition took precedent. 
Now, College is to important if your funding that, But I hope you get the "Keeping Great Gear" 

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 10
Wow 9pintube, I think that's all I needed to read.
Thank you. ( I understand now )

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 10
Only difference is your headphones aren't regularly regarded as one of the best headphones ever made and at the same time extremely expensive and very hard to come by. If you decide one day that you want some HD650 back you'll be able to get them pretty easily. If you think it's time for a serious upgrade and can afford it, do it. If that means selling off one or two pairs of headphones you don't even like as much as some others you already own... do it. Can you offer yourself a good reason why not?

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 10
Yes, I can think of a few reasons why not actually,
- I'd like to keep "collecting"
- Money is a little tight
- Also to be honest, slightly lazy to start selling and shipping stuff off. ( full time university student here so im always slightly busy )

But I do understand the fact that, if I was seriously considering this, then I would most likely do it. Sell some things, gather up some extra money and start trying to find someone with a pair of O2' s to listen to. I am serious but not 100%, more like 80%.  I haven't crossed the line yet were I am completely obsessed ( if thats the right word to use ) in having the Ultimate "sound"/ headphone RIGHT NOW.  But its close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back