Should I give up on Grado already?
Nov 15, 2006 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

Ymer

500+ Head-Fier
About 2 weeks ago I bought a pair of Grado SR-225s, after years of Sennheiser HD-580/650s. Initially I was really disappointed. They felt (and still feel) too open, the sensation is like all the sound is leaking and only playing at higher volumes will make the sound involving. They're really unforging with less-than-stellar recordings, tend to sound bright... and I fail to see their rock appeal, in fact I like my Senn's forgiving yet layered, laid back yet involving presentation by far.

Two weeks with them, playing at low volumes (I swear!
biggrin.gif
), I can't seem to get over their comfort issues, they're killing my ears and driving me deaf. Everyday after I stop using them it feels like I just came home from a concert, my audition seems to be less detailed, a little muffled (it's nothing insane or very strong or I wouldn't even try using them anymore). It goes back to normal after a while. And sometimes, even without having used them in the last few hours, I feel a sharp pain in the ear drums (can't be too certain it's in the ear drums, but it's inside the ear) that comes and goes.

I'm about to say goodbye to them and order a pair of Beyerdymanic DT-770s.

Opinions?

Thanks
600smile.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 72
Get Flat pads if you find them too bright and airy. Better comfort aswell. Bowls are simply unbearable with some ears, cuz their design isnt exactly universal for every ear. Sound and comfort varies from ear to ear.

Plus, to help that airyness feeling, EQ the bass up.

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 72
You sound like a case for these:

http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_p...feea8b24da9409

It could be worth a try. I prefer my SR225s with them, as it gives some more slam to the my metal, particularily poorly recorded albums which have no tactile feeling whatsoever with the stock bowls. (Besides, my K501s already do what the bowls try to accomplish, i.e. soundtage and clarity, only better, hence it makes more sense to use flats)

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 72
Yeah, i use them with poorly recorded albums aswell. (unless its bassy toned. Flats would only make them even more bassy) No pierciness with those!

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 72
You can try different pads and maybe they will help...but, to me it sounds like Grado may not be for you. I experienced the same sort of pain with SR-125s driven by a soundcard and wound up returning them. Never had any pain without the headphones on, though.

Now, since I have a decent tube amp, I've ordered a pair of 225s to try out. I'm interested to see how the Grados will fare this time around.

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 72
They're not actually driven by the soundcard, they're driven by either my Rotal RA-02 Integrated Amplifier or Creek OBH-11. I have a Headfive on the way.

The Terratec 24/96 is only the source, but I also have a Philips DVDR 3355 which I'm using as a CD player and a Dual 714Q with Ortofon OM-20 turntable as sources, but the result is the same with any combination.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 72
Try differents pads (flats specially), but I think you are not a grado man. I am in the same boat, so you are not alone. It is normal, you do not have defective ears
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a HF-1 in my collection and it is the only grado I enjoy from time to time as a secondary headphone. To me, grados are not even rock headphones in absolute terms. I prefer Darth Beyers when I need a dose of "fun" sound, and I suppose 990s could be a less extreme alternative. But do not ditch grados without trying a little more. They can do electric guitar distortion very well if the recording allows it.

Nov 15, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 72
Opinion?

My wife really likes her nice comfy Mini-Van, even in the rain!

She really doesn't care much for my rugged open Jeep, especially in the rain.

If you really don't LIKE the Grados, listen to something else! There's all kinds of other good stuff available out there!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #12 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ymer
About 2 weeks ago I bought a pair of Grado SR-225s, after years of Sennheiser HD-580/650s. Initially I was really disappointed. They felt (and still feel) too open, the sensation is like all the sound is leaking and only playing at higher volumes will make the sound involving. They're really unforging with less-than-stellar recordings, tend to sound bright... and I fail to see their rock appeal, in fact I like my Senn's forgiving yet layered, laid back yet involving presentation by far.

Two weeks with them, playing at low volumes (I swear!
biggrin.gif
), I can't seem to get over their comfort issues, they're killing my ears and driving me deaf. Everyday after I stop using them it feels like I just came home from a concert, my audition seems to be less detailed, a little muffled (it's nothing insane or very strong or I wouldn't even try using them anymore). It goes back to normal after a while. And sometimes, even without having used them in the last few hours, I feel a sharp pain in the ear drums (can't be too certain it's in the ear drums, but it's inside the ear) that comes and goes.

I'm about to say goodbye to them and order a pair of Beyerdymanic DT-770s.

Opinions?

Thanks
600smile.gif

Wow, you somehow managed to read my mind and describe my findings EXACTLY!
I've been a HD650 guy for quite some time and I've recently purchased a pair of SR-60s. While these are certainly great phones overall for their price, I could never get used to their sibilance and bad medium-long usage comfort. And yes, my ears were always kinda numb after listening to them too, even at lower levels. Numb just like after a concert, as if my ears had to adjust heavily to an unusual level of noise.
And I can only agree: I didn't quite why so many people found them to be ultimate for Rock because I always had the impression that my HD650s rock pretty hard too. In my opinion and in my system, the so-called laid-backness or boredom is not much of an issue and it certainly doesn't put me off Rock recordings.
The HD650s are great for Rock. Just as they are magnificent allrounders for any kind of music!

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 72
It sounds like you are just not a Grado Guy. Luckily, there are many other brands of quality headphones to choose from. Don't linger on something that is not working for you, just move on to something else.

- augustwest

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 72
Yeah, it sounds like you're not a Grado guy. I admit, as much as I love the 225s, they can be fatiguing after about an hour to me. The RS-1s aren't that way, but they still have comfort issues. I've gotten used to them. But if you don't like the sound or comfort of the 225s, move on. Since you like the Senn sound, why don't you give the 595s a shot? They're on a par quality wise with the 225s, but they're comfortable and not fatiguing. But they're also brighter than the 580s/650s.

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #15 of 72
you came from a hardcore background of Senn lovin' so don't be surprised that you can't betray that camp for Grado, its polar opposite. there is a ton of difference between the two, down to the circumaural vs. supraaural thing. some folks just can't reconcile the two, no shame in that. probably the best thing to do is to stick with senn and use that grado can cash for senn cable mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back