Should I give up on Grado already?
Feb 2, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #46 of 72
I found the 414 pads cut down on some of the harshness. People told me that they would add bass, but to my ears they didn't. So all in all, I like the bowls tonality better. If I have the 414s on my 325i, well they're just a bit softer then my HD595. I would not recommend the HD650 for metal.

If after the 414 pad you find you're still not liking your Grado, the only Senn that might work is the HD595. The 650 is too soft in detail and high in bass for any metal. It is worth demoing any new headphone to see if you'd like it for metal.....I know Maza will chime in and say the HD595s are terrible
biggrin.gif
But actually with the sound samples you gave me Maza, the HD595s sounded better then the SR60 when I compared those. They had more impact, even though there was a bit stronger bass. Beyers will be too bassy, as well as ATs. AKG may work, though they have a large soundstage. 325i though...they're even more detailed then the SR225..would be really hard core for metal.... I don't see why you don't have those already, Maza
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #47 of 72
I would say the same without doubt: grado SR225 (with bowls) are bright. Blackmore, let's see your tutu
wink.gif
Alpeggio, try some flats. They do magic with rock music: much more punch and body to the music, taming the highs at the same time.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by alpeggio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using my computer and you probably going to tell me that's the problem.
But I've tried it with an amp and didn't sound better.
The detail is great for me too but because of my ears sensitiveness I can't hear it with some music.
Death Metal probably sound great because of it being so low and therefor perfect for these bright sounding headphones. I have listened to that kinda music with these and it sounds nice.

On the contrary, Deathmetals power lies in heavily distorted and intense riffing that is sometimes quite sharp, depending of bands own sound ofcourse. Cymbals are also used heavily. Not enough? Before I got my Beyers, I listened Blackmetal on SR225 too and that, if anything, is bright since bass is definetly not part of that music, but mid-trebly raw distorting ambience.

Oh, and I have listened AC/DC on SR225 aswell though, without problems. Thats actually one of first bands I listened when I got these babies. But then again, AFAIK SR80 and SR325i are brighter, if not brightest of whole Grado line, so perhaps a swap is in order?

Still though, Judas Priest - Painkiller remastered makes me grind my teeth, with both Grado and Beyer. SSsssibilant and piercing. Singer punctures its way staight to my brains.
That remastering sucks big time...

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #49 of 72
TUTUUUT!!!

You guys are crazy, LOL
tongue.gif

Flats, balls, schmalls, what ever. When I have got my SR225, not even well burned, I was blown away. Each ROCK record I own gave me what I was missing the whole time.
But that's not it... When I bough my LIBERATORS, I was the first one up here, they sound soooo good that I have sold them.
blink.gif

Sold because I was looking for a better one, so I bough RS2. Holly Schmolly!!! And then again, sold it and bough K1000. Somebody stop me, please. And finally RS1 arrived just a week ago and you know what my conclusion. I will be downgrading to FULLY MODDED SR225 or maybe MS2 for my ROCK music. And the rest HOLLY K1000, ALLELUIA!
k1000smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say the same without doubt: grado SR225 (with bowls) are bright. Blackmore, let's see your tutu
wink.gif
Alpeggio, try some flats. They do magic with rock music: much more punch and body to the music, taming the highs at the same time.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #50 of 72
I will post a pics later on
tongue.gif

If you think that SR225 is the brightest, how about RS2?

Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Bright If SR225 are bright, I am an ballet dancer"

So I'm curious, how do you look in a tootoo?

The 225’s are the brightest phones I’ve ever heard, and times painfully so.

- augustwest

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #51 of 72
Thinking about how cheap I got these I wouldn't want to swap for anything definetly not SR225.
I'm actually at two sides of the fence at the same time because I like the brightness and do not like it at the same time.
That's why this pad swapping sounds great for I will be able to change depending on which music I want to listen to.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #52 of 72
Quote:

Thinking about how cheap I got these I wouldn't want to swap for anything definetly not SR225.
I'm actually at two sides of the fence at the same time because I like the brightness and do not like it at the same time.
That's why this pad swapping sounds great for I will be able to change depending on which music I want to listen to.

Then Flat pads is definetly on option. It practically reverses the tonal balance from uppermid-treble heavy to bass-lowmid heavy.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #53 of 72
Quote:

HD414 pads sound like the cure for you. Sennheiser to the rescue again
icon10.gif
That or comfies.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #54 of 72
Just forget the comfies... LIBERATORS your only way to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD414 pads sound like the cure for you. Sennheiser to the rescue again
icon10.gif
That or comfies.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #55 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just forget the comfies... LIBERATORS your only way to go.

funny how we've now suggested every single pad
biggrin.gif
Some of this is probably difference in ears. To my ears, the 414s cut out upper treble (that foam just dampens some of the highs). Well at least some of these pads are relatively inexpensive, so its best to try a few: here the 414 pads are $8 USD.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #56 of 72
“I will post a pics later on

If you think that SR225 is the brightest, how about RS2?”

My experience with the RS2’s is limited, but I found the MS2’s to be a improvement over the 225’s in pretty much every way. The 225 wore out it's welcome for me rather quickly. . . . . It wasn't until I found the PS1's that I found Grado nirvana.

By the way I’m very envious of your K1000’s. To my mind one of the best headphones ever made, and it’s the only AKG that I like.

- augustwest

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #57 of 72
True
wink.gif
But LIBERATORS doing some kind of magic to Grado's. A lot of people have discovered this already and non of them was negative about it. Well, I have not seen yet...
That's only USD 40 shipped, I guess. But benefits are very impressive, no BS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
funny how we've now suggested every single pad
biggrin.gif
Some of this is probably difference in ears. To my ears, the 414s cut out upper treble (that foam just dampens some of the highs). Well at least some of these pads are relatively inexpensive, so its best to try a few: here the 414 pads are $8 USD.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #58 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ymer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About 2 weeks ago I bought a pair of Grado SR-225s, after years of Sennheiser HD-580/650s. Initially I was really disappointed. They felt (and still feel) too open, the sensation is like all the sound is leaking and only playing at higher volumes will make the sound involving. They're really unforging with less-than-stellar recordings, tend to sound bright... and I fail to see their rock appeal, in fact I like my Senn's forgiving yet layered, laid back yet involving presentation by far.

Two weeks with them, playing at low volumes (I swear!
biggrin.gif
), I can't seem to get over their comfort issues, they're killing my ears and driving me deaf. Everyday after I stop using them it feels like I just came home from a concert, my audition seems to be less detailed, a little muffled (it's nothing insane or very strong or I wouldn't even try using them anymore). It goes back to normal after a while. And sometimes, even without having used them in the last few hours, I feel a sharp pain in the ear drums (can't be too certain it's in the ear drums, but it's inside the ear) that comes and goes.

I'm about to say goodbye to them and order a pair of Beyerdymanic DT-770s.

Opinions?

Thanks
600smile.gif

if you are asking about it just go ahead with whatever.
My advice:

Man you are in Brazil/Brasil..go find some late nights and lovely ladies..and drop the headphones altogether!

'Serious though-if you can, try some different amps, sources, and pads on that Grado you currently have, and perhaps then introduce another can into your system. Fnd an AKG, Beyer, or nice AT -all great alternatives to the Grado house sound. I like Sennheiser, but the amplification required to properly drive the Senn may be a factor..

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #59 of 72
Same with me, if we are talking about MS2. RS2 isn't bad, they are not for ROCK, more JAZZ/AMBIENT kind of. However guitars sounds the BEST with them, RS1 isn't THAT close, IMO. When I listen Rosenberg's Trio with them, OMG, this is not to discribe. But once again, they are truly bright / analytical one and one of the kind in Grado line. They do not miss anything from the record, and I mean anything, never heard SR325 though.

Don't be envious, just pull the trigger and buy one. Well, easy to say of course
wink.gif
But don't forget, I am selling all of my gear to get my K1000 to the right level, no joke. And later I would like to be back with Grado SR225 or MS2 and that will be it, I hope so
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
“I will post a pics later on

If you think that SR225 is the brightest, how about RS2?”

My experience with the RS2’s is limited, but I found the MS2’s to be a improvement over the 225’s in pretty much every way. The 225 wore out it's welcome for me rather quickly. . . . . It wasn't until I found the PS1's that I found Grado nirvana.

By the way I’m very envious of your K1000’s. To my mind one of the best headphones ever made, and it’s the only AKG that I like.

- augustwest

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #60 of 72
If you do decide to give up on the Grados, I would recommend that you take a look at the Beyer dt990’s. They “rock” really well too. The only thing about them to keep in mind is that you will need to amp them to get the best performance from them. The 990’s are extremely comfortable too.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back