Should I give up on Grado already?
Nov 18, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #31 of 72
If the OP is missing the warmness of Sennheisers.....the 595 is a great alternative!!! It has the bass extension of the HD600, but is angled towards your ears.....so it's more upfront and has a more distinct brightness from the 600s. Since I'm coming from Sennheiser, I find I like the 595s for all my general rock as well as symphonies. My 600s, I like for jazz, electronica, ambience, and chamber music. Still, I think the in your face nature of Grados might be good for really heavy rock/ metal genres. Since begining Grados are lacking IMHO (rolled off bass, some muddy mids, but clear treble), it seems like the 225 or 325 are the Grados that start to have a clear distinction from Sennheisers.

Nov 18, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #32 of 72
Unless you already like what you hear from the Grado better than the Senn don't bother with mods. Just dump it and buy another can closer to your preference. The Senn 595, Beyer 990/05e are two good choices.

No matter what you do don't climb the Grado ladder it doesn't change.

Feb 2, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #33 of 72
Just to let you all know how this history ended, i now love my Grados.

I bought the Senn 404 yellow pads. That made them very comfy. But I still thought they lacked something. I fixed that by buying me a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-770s. That made me realize just how wonderful, airy, natural and highflying these Grados are. I can't stand the nasal sound of the Beyers. I can dig the unnatural bassy presentation sometimes, but most of the times they just sound hollow. And when I switch black to the Grados voila! the void is filled with lovely midrange =D

So there, happy ending =)

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #34 of 72
You should try adding the Joe Grado HPA-1 to the chain...

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #35 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ymer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About 2 weeks ago I bought a pair of Grado SR-225s, after years of Sennheiser HD-580/650s. Initially I was really disappointed. They felt (and still feel) too open, the sensation is like all the sound is leaking and only playing at higher volumes will make the sound involving. They're really unforging with less-than-stellar recordings, tend to sound bright... and I fail to see their rock appeal, in fact I like my Senn's forgiving yet layered, laid back yet involving presentation by far.

Two weeks with them, playing at low volumes (I swear!
biggrin.gif
), I can't seem to get over their comfort issues, they're killing my ears and driving me deaf. Everyday after I stop using them it feels like I just came home from a concert, my audition seems to be less detailed, a little muffled (it's nothing insane or very strong or I wouldn't even try using them anymore). It goes back to normal after a while. And sometimes, even without having used them in the last few hours, I feel a sharp pain in the ear drums (can't be too certain it's in the ear drums, but it's inside the ear) that comes and goes.

I'm about to say goodbye to them and order a pair of Beyerdymanic DT-770s.

Opinions?

Thanks
600smile.gif

I dont think a change in pads will do diddly for you.
The truth is, your ears have told you that they dont like this type of sound-end of story.
Is it possible to grow into them and adjust to the brightness?
Sure-but from the sound of it, you dont like a very forward sound.
I have owned almost every Grado and I love them all.
There is no other headphone on the market that for ME, does Rock/Metal more justice than my HF-1s.
If you can afford to, keep them as a secondary headphone for certain recordings. Stick with a warmer more laid back headphone as your primary (Beyers and Senns).
As for the comfort thing-scrub the bowls with some conditioner and warm water-then let dry.
I repeat the above every couple of months and I have no problems with comfort.

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #37 of 72
I think the last few posters read my original post, and not this one, my latest reply, so I'm quoting myself:

Quote:

Just to let you all know how this history ended, i now love my Grados.

I bought the Senn 404 yellow pads. That made them very comfy. But I still thought they lacked something. I fixed that by buying me a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-770s. That made me realize just how wonderful, airy, natural and highflying these Grados are. I can't stand the nasal sound of the Beyers. I can dig the unnatural bassy presentation sometimes, but most of the times they just sound hollow. And when I switch black to the Grados voila! the void is filled with lovely midrange =D

So there, happy ending =)

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #38 of 72
Grado SR225 is one of the warmest in the line, if not the one... They are very close to RS1, sonically I mean.
Burn them well, get tube amp for it and enjoy. Otherwise they are not your cup of tea
k1000smile.gif

Quote:

About 2 weeks ago I bought a pair of Grado SR-225s, after years of Sennheiser HD-580/650s. Initially I was really disappointed. They felt (and still feel) too open, the sensation is like all the sound is leaking and only playing at higher volumes will make the sound involving. They're really unforging with less-than-stellar recordings, tend to sound bright... and I fail to see their rock appeal, in fact I like my Senn's forgiving yet layered, laid back yet involving presentation by far.

Two weeks with them, playing at low volumes (I swear!
biggrin.gif
), I can't seem to get over their comfort issues, they're killing my ears and driving me deaf. Everyday after I stop using them it feels like I just came home from a concert, my audition seems to be less detailed, a little muffled (it's nothing insane or very strong or I wouldn't even try using them anymore). It goes back to normal after a while. And sometimes, even without having used them in the last few hours, I feel a sharp pain in the ear drums (can't be too certain it's in the ear drums, but it's inside the ear) that comes and goes.

I'm about to say goodbye to them and order a pair of Beyerdymanic DT-770s.

Opinions?

Thanks
600smile.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #39 of 72
I have Grado SR325i and SR80. And they can be fatiquing at times especially the SR325i, (higher mids) the SR80 is worse with upper treble.

I find stuff like ACDC or hard rock generally doesn't sound that pleasing to me. It's hard to hear the detail and separation when the mids are so strong, I can't stand it. I have to use an equalizer to decrease the 2 khz frequency(-10 db).
I'm hoping the 414 pads will make a difference when they arrive.
I must admit though I havent had them playing for so long.

But I'm actually wondering about the HD650, how does it compare with the SR325i concerning the upper mids?

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #40 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by alpeggio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Grado SR325i and SR80. And they can be fatiquing at times especially the SR325i, (higher mids) the SR80 is worse with upper treble.

I find stuff like ACDC or hard rock generally doesn't sound that pleasing to me. It's hard to hear the detail and separation when the mids are so strong, I can't stand it. I have to use an equalizer to decrease the 2 khz frequency(-10 db).
I'm hoping the 414 pads will make a difference when they arrive.
I must admit though I havent had them playing for so long.

But I'm actually wondering about the HD650, how does it compare with the SR325i concerning the upper mids?

!!!
blink.gif

What you are using as your source and amplifier? I listen DEATHMETAL with SR225 and detail is great even in intense music like that.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #41 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
!!!
blink.gif

What you are using as your source and amplifier? I listen DEATHMETAL with SR225 and detail is great even in intense music like that.

I'm using my computer and you probably going to tell me that's the problem.
But I've tried it with an amp and didn't sound better.
The detail is great for me too but because of my ears sensitiveness I can't hear it with some music.
Death Metal probably sound great because of it being so low and therefor perfect for these bright sounding headphones. I have listened to that kinda music with these and it sounds nice.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #42 of 72
Bright
confused.gif
If SR225 are bright, I am an ballet dancer
k1000smile.gif

Quote:

I'm using my computer and you probably going to tell me that's the problem.
But I've tried it with an amp and didn't sound better.
The detail is great for me too but because of my ears sensitiveness I can't hear it with some music.
Death Metal probably sound great because of it being so low and therefor perfect for these bright sounding headphones. I have listened to that kinda music with these and it sounds nice.
I wouldn't wanna trade this for another headphone, it's just that I haven't heard the HD650 and i'm curious how they sound.

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #44 of 72
"Bright If SR225 are bright, I am an ballet dancer"

So I'm curious, how do you look in a tootoo?

The 225’s are the brightest phones I’ve ever heard, and times painfully so.

- augustwest

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #45 of 72
Than once again, they are not for you at all, non of the Grado. You get more acceptance from Sennheiser sound, I guess...
To dark for me
k1000smile.gif

Quote:

I'm saying they are bright for me. I like this also in some music, not so much in other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back