Should I get the SMS by 50 Headphones?
Sep 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

buddie

New Head-Fier
I've always liked the way they looked and thought it would be cool to own a pair of wireless headphones. I've read reviews that said they were better than Beats. However, Beats are not good headphones. So should I get the SMS headphones or perhaps go with another pair around $150? If so, please list it.

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
I've always liked the way they looked and thought it would be cool to own a pair of wireless headphones. I've read reviews that said they were better than Beats. However, Beats are not good headphones. So should I get the SMS headphones or perhaps go with another pair around $150? If so, please list it.

It's your money.

Get what you want.

Or get an Ultrasone HFI 580.

Very best,

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 5
Besides ultrasone. If you care about how they look, the V-moda M80. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 5

Note that the wireless version costs more than $150. They're closer to $300. :xf_eek:

Regarding the SMS wired headphones - they're not really bad closed headphones, but they're certainly very closed headphones. IMHO they're better fitting, more comfortable, and more easy to listen to than the M50 (less boomy and less sibilant; leather pads always trump vinyl for comfort), but they're very colored (dark, like the space between stars dark); the M50 are more neutral. At $150-$175 (where they seem to hover), I think they're reasonable - certainly better than the Beats Solo and a lot of other cheap closed headphones. Good open headphones in the same price range will likely appeal to a wider range of listeners though (e.g. I think the SR-225 are better). I don't think they compare very well with Ultrasone - two very different signatures. Think ESW9 or HD 650 with more bass and less treble, but not tubby-wubby buzzy-fuzzy Beats Solo presentation. However, if you need isolation, want something durable for portable use, and like their looks - I think they're at least worth trying out. It's not "money in a fire" imho, but certainly be aware that we are talking about a very colored pair of headphones; preference will decide if you like them or not.

Other alternatives in or around that price range, I'd probably look at the CAL!, Bose AE2, and Sennheiser HD 380Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back