Should I get the Koss ProDJ100 or the sony mdr-v6?
Oct 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

vivalacarlo

Head-Fier
They seem to be similar prices in amazon so i thought comparing the two was appropriate. I have owned the xb500s so i think i am a basshead. So i think that is one thing to consider, and also from owning the xb500 i am annoyed at how big it is so i am looking for something portable. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
They seem to be similar prices in amazon so i thought comparing the two was appropriate. I have owned the xb500s so i think i am a basshead. So i think that is one thing to consider, and also from owning the xb500 i am annoyed at how big it is so i am looking for something portable. 

Well, if you're a basshead, I'd avoid both.
The DJ100 has very slightly above neutral bass and perhaps better low bass extension than the V6. It doesn't really have a mid-bass hump that sticks out to me (people seem to love those).

The V6 seems like it has more bass than the DJ100, but it just has that elevated mid-bass.

You may want to try a different headphone. Maybe the Panasonic HTF-600 or so? That might satisfy a basshead, but it's sound signature isn't even remotely balanced (IMO).

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 4
Just my opinion on the Panasonic HTF-600. While they are pretty ridiculously good for the price (~$30?), I do feel that they perform well below the DJ100. While I am in no way a basshead, I think a basshead would be more satisfied with the bass of the DJ100 (though the DJ100 is NOT a bass heavy can). The Panasonic look like they are closed, but they are actually quite open; they leak quite a bit of sound, and I've found the sound to be quite airy sounding, as in many open cans, which takes away from that "rattle-your-head" bass that bassheads probably look for IMO.
But yeah, the DJ100 does have pretty good bass extension and plenty of quantity for me. I've actually done tdockweiler's mod to them that I've found to reduce a lot of the bass, and they are now more to my tastes (again, I am in no way whatsoever a basshead). Other than that, I did find the Panasonic to just have a maybe grainier and less clear sound than the DJ100, which together with the light weight of the headphones contribute to an experience that make them feel cheaper (this is just my opinion; I know there are people that absolutely love the HTF-600), while I find the DJ100 to have just the right weight/heft and a certain fullness of sound to it.
I've never heard the Sony V6 though, so I can't comment there...

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 4
Hi guys...

Sorry to bother but i also would like to buy one of these two headphones and since i can not try them first i would really like someone to advise me eich one is better for my likings....

I already have a pair of AKG K81/518dj and a pair of Creative Aurvana Live!'s Wich are really good.

I listen to a little bit of everything but i specially listen to trance music wich need good detail and sparkly treble for the uplifting parts of it...

I am not a bass head, so i prefer a good and tight bass and very nice detailled treble (for example my k518dj have too much bass that cover's erverything...).

I was at first leaning towards the v6 because of all the praise, durability, sound detail and lots of treble, but many peolple told me these are not good for music and that they are too harsh (once again this is what people told, i never tried any one of these before...)... these koss were suggested to me because it seems they are better for music than the v6 and that the treble is better and sparkly as well (not as harsh on the v6).

Both cost around 50 pounds on amazon....

Wich one guys? :)

Thank you....

Edit: By the way, i will be using these with my ipod touch 4g or other ipods (I have no amps), sometimes on my laptop or my nexus 7. 

One question about the Koss lifetime warranty...If i completely trash the Koss's (physically), does the warranty still applies? Or does the lifetime warranty only is applied for internal flaws (blown drivers, etc...)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back