Should I get Sony MDR V-6 or Sennheiser HD215?
Jul 31, 2011 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

koipen

New Head-Fier
Some background.

I'm looking for closed headphones on the ~60e range. I've heard lots of praise for them and found an excellent deal on Amazon for 46£. On the other hand, at nearly identical price I can get HD215 of which I've heard tons of praise. Is there any noticeable difference in sound? On the comfort front MDR-6 seems to take the cake, but  HD215 seems to have better sound quality.

I mainly listen to (proggy) rock, some jazz and metal too, and classical and electronic sometimes. These are my first "real" headphones (Currently using 20e JVC Ha-fx67 which only excel on comfort), and will be used without amp, mostly on my computer, but sometimes on my phone too. Either from Youtube (I know) or downloaded mp3s (192 kbps). Comfort and lightness are important factors too, because I will be wearing these ~6 hours a day.

Ofcourse, if any better phones exist on the pricerange, please tell me.

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 10
i've had both- this one is an ez answer- get the sony v6. the hd215 is not comfy, very harsh sounding and needs an amp to get much bass

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 10
Some considerations:
  • Is the headphone out of your PC(-system) clean?
  • If you want to go for a V6 it will not be long before 192 kbps is 'not good enough'.
  • There are some 'cheaper brands' like Philips and Koss that make remarkebly capable headphones for the price. 
  • Whatever you choose audition first from your most frequently used source if possible.

My suggestion is easy: audition (try) various headphones and check how sensitive your chosen headphone is in your PC-system from the headphone out. If the headphone out and volume control are not refined enough you should opt for a small amplifier or amplifier/DAC-device.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-86-portable-headphones-reviewed-soundmagic-p30-sony-mdr-770lp-added-07-12
This link should help you along...

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 10
V6 are great can, are great value for their price, if you have enough power to throw at them

They do need a amp, but otherwise do great overall.

SRH-240 would be cheaper and drive better without an amp, but SQ isn't met
SRH-440 are a little over, drive well without amp and the SQ almost meets the V6

Sony XB series runs great unamped, but might be a little too bass heavy and don't meet the V6's SQ

Comfort for all these are high and the Shure actually beat the V6 in some comfort areas. the Xb get sweaty

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 10
Only think in terms of better once you have more experience with headphones and audio gear. The V6 is different, you might or might not like it. Trying out headphones is important before purchasing. 

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 10
The HD215 has an impedance of 32ohms and a sensitivity of 112dB. You're telling me the HD215 needs an amp? It doesn't - at all. 
The V6 has an impedance of 63ohms and a sensitivity of 106dB. Again, the V6 doesn't need an amp, though it'll experience incremental improvement with a dedicated amp (don't expect night and day differences).
I fail to see why people incessantly exaggerate the requirements of an amp for low-end phones. Think about that claim for a second. Nobody is going to engineer gluttonous, low-end headphones that need a powerful amp to showcase their capabilities. Should anyone decide to do so, he/she would create a low-end headphone that defeats the very purpose (among other things) of its intended niche market - affordability. 

OT: I used to own the MDR 7506 (the V6 is the same headphone) and preferred it to the HD215 (demoed) b/c it's more neutral and less fatiguing. If you must choose between the two, I'd cast my vote to the V6.
Before you upgrade your headphones, focus on your music. The most important part of the chain will always be the music. I could have an HD800 and the CS300X as my gear, but that'll do naught for me if my music is of low quality. Would you fill up a Ferrari with diesel? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back