Should I get a little dot mk III or darkvoice 336 for hd600?
Jan 3, 2010 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Poetik

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I know this has probably been discussed to death but I'm pretty much new to the whole tube amp thing. I'm curious about your guys thoughts on these 2 amps with the hd600? Which would you buy if you had the money for either and why? It seems like I couldn't go wrong with either one of them.

Thanks a bunch,

-Cedric

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 9
interested is this too, especially concerning SQ and build quality

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 9
Haha wow this seemed like so long ago. I ended up going with an LD MKIV and was pretty happy with that at the time. I have read some things about the darkvoice pairing well with the sennheisers though. Unfortunately I've never got to try a darkvoice and never really wanted to after getting the MKIV.

For my MKIII I really liked it's smaller footprint and how you could change from ef92 tubes to ef95 tubes with just a flick of a switch. I felt that the built quality on that thing was spot on for the price of it. As for SQ I did slightly prefer the sound of the MKIV to it though (the MKIV felt more neutral while the MKIII had a warmer sound with more bottom end to it).

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 9
thanks for the info.

well, warm sound is what I'm after...

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For my MKIII I really liked it's smaller footprint and how you could change from ef92 tubes to ef95 tubes with just a flick of a switch. I felt that the built quality on that thing was spot on for the price of it. As for SQ I did slightly prefer the sound of the MKIV to it though (the MKIV felt more neutral while the MKIII had a warmer sound with more bottom end to it).

Well, a flick of a switch and 20-30 minutes of waiting. I wouldn't touch 160C glass with my bare fingers... but I'm not you
wink.gif

My darkvoice sounds great with my HD650's, so I bet that the 336 would sound great with the HD600's as well. The 336 has a huge array of tubes that you can get for it so you can always find the perfect tubes for you (can't say the same for the 332
frown.gif
)

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, a flick of a switch and 20-30 minutes of waiting. I wouldn't touch 160C glass with my bare fingers... but I'm not you
wink.gif

Hahaha, yea hot tubes + flesh = not very good. I meant the new version of the MKIII has that flip switch underneath the amp instead of the jumpers. It was really easy to switch driver tube settings that way and honestly that feature alone almost made me keep the ld mkiii over the ld mkiv. I'm not sure if they changed the LD MKIV to implement that feature but the two I've owned didn't have it.

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 9
Darkvoice 336. It is great for those cans and you can get some really nice tubes for it.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #9 of 9
But what about the build quality of the DV?
Especially the feel of the volume potentiometer??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back